Helpful Study Tips for Gross Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruin2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am having a difficult time in goss anatomy; and I would greatly appreciate any advice you may give regarding study tips, atlases, websites, textbooks, etc...

Thanks,

P.S. Which text books are more helpful
1. Clinically oriented anatomy
2. Essentials of clinical anatomy
3. BRS Gross Anatomy:confused: :eek: ::idea:

Members don't see this ad.

i think the moore book is the best anatomy book for the money. i'm going over the limb muscles right now, and it's the only book that i've used that separates each muscle, showing insertion/origin individually. plus it has all the clinical vignettes you need. its pictures are very helpful.

also, rohen is useful for practicals, but i've come to realize that nothing beats looking at structures on actual cadavers for practicals.

i think netters is pretty useless.

i used the brs for a while. it's good for a quick review, plus it organizes stuff a little differently which can help in memorizing (b/c you see the same stuff but presented slightly differently). its black and white pictures aren't too helpful though.

I used Netter's atlas mainly, supplementing with Moore's for clinical points (blue boxes). Since I didn't like spending much time in lab, I also bought Rohen's photo atlas.... this helps since arteries, veins, and nerves aren't exactly vibrant colors in the body. The best way I found to be able to identify stuff in lab is to focus on learning relationships between structures, using key structures as landmarks... this helps make some sense out of what first looks like a tangled mess. Spending time in lab looking at other bodies does help, I was just too lazy to do that much. You should also know what you're supposed to be looking at before you go to lab... usually I'm not one for reading ahead, but every time I didn't I just kind of stood there lost for a few hours. But much of what I did for anatomy was just looking at Netter's until I wanted to shoot myself in the head. Netter's flash cards are also pretty good... they'll give origin, insertion, innervation, blood supply, etc on the back, and it's a good way to pound stuff in your head while you're sitting around watching TV. There aren't any magic formulas to learning anatomy, though... you have to sit down and devote a bunch of time to it... I definitely spent more time studying for Gross than any other class before or after. Hope some of this is useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
thanks so so much for the great advice!!! I was wondering when people refer to Moore are they referring to the "Big" Moore or the "Baby" Moore.

:clap: :D :idea:

for lecture I strictly used my syllabus, it was great and even better for the shelf final. this is the stuff your lecturers think is important.

for lab I made sure I had already gone through and identified stuff in Netter before I went to lab and had them pretty well memorized (at least at the beginning when you're still learning how to deal with some many new structures.) knowing the stuff decently well makes a big difference because then all that time you are in lab, you know where to look and can review instead of just mindlessly dissecting. I also used Rohen in the beginning when picking out stuctures is harder, it gets easier as it goes along.

BLUF: Baby Moore & Grant's atlas, with Rohen's atlas for the practicals.

The assigned textbook for our class was Snell's 6th ed., with Grant's atlas and dissector. After the first two weeks I ditched Snell in favor of Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy and started understanding what was going on. For what it's worth, I found (much to my amazement) that I did not like Netter's atlas, and much preferred Grant's & Rohen's.

I got almost all my info from Big Moore. I hated Netter. I didn't understand why he chose not to include plates that combined nerves, muscles, veins and arteries. I suggest you try Grant. He's much better.

I didn't get anything from the gross lab. Our group had an 80++y.o. body. We had to spend way too much time picking through fascias and adhesions. I still ended up with 90+ on the practicals just by studying from moore and from grant.

You can try BRS and other crappy review books. They may prepare you for the board, but they may give you a

1) overly optimistic impression of your true level of knowledge,
2)False sense of security when studying for your in-school tests. Save your money, IMO.

I used small Moore's for the bulk of my studying. I liked Netter over Grants atlas, but look at both to see which one you like (it did get frustruating with Netter seperating out the arteries, veins and nerves, and I feel that the Head and Neck sections are lacking - but I still liked it none-the-less). I also found High-Yield Gross as a useful supplement. But, for me there is no substitute for time spent in the lab.

Also, there are several good websites that have great materials. The UMich anatomy website has practice questions, dissection videos, structure tables, and more...all of which I felt really helped me. Good luck.

BG

I don't know whether you guys have Anatomy Lab over there (its a computer program) but for the very basics it's superb, giving you a foundation to base further study on.

i just want to say that the netter's atlas is the tool of the devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :D :idea:

Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for providing me with continued great advice. Best of luck for everyone this year!!