how long are you in class each day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
some MS1's at my school were invited for a feedback session with some of the dean's of the school. i asked why they kept us in class so much and they said they were around or slightly below the national average. i thought their remarks were manifestly false; every school i interviewed at was in class less than we are. we go from roughly 9-5 everyday. i thought it seemed obvious they were not telling me the truth or half the country would have more than 8 hours of class per day.

so could you please post your school and how many hours of class you have as an MS1/2. there is no hope for my class, but i would like to try to free future classes from this asinine prison schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

At UVM, it depends on the class. Currently we are either in gross lab, histo, or clinical skills from 8-12. We have an hour off for lunch, then lectures until 3 or 4. A couple days a week, we have other classes that might go from 4-5:30.

New curriculum, so it's pretty weird, but for the first 5 weeks:

M,T,Th,F, 9-5, hour for lunch
No class Wednesdays

Now it's:

M,F 11-5
T,Th 9-5
No class Wednesdays

Almost all the electives are on Wednesdays, and quizes/exams are on Thursdays, so no, they're not really free. :>

Members don't see this ad :)
M,W,F: 8a-12p
Tu, Th: 8a-12p and 1p-3p or 1p-5p if we have a small group session.

They didn't lie about the lecture hours but they forget to mention, or we forgot to ask, about the small group stuff.

we have class starting at 7:30 and finish at 4:30 monday, 10am tuesday, 3:30 wed, 10 thurs, 5:30 friday.
+pissed+

We have a great schedule. :D I have a hard time sitting in lecture for four hours with little breaks in-between. It's not that bad though. Especially if you compare it to some of the alternatives.

Originally posted by smugrinch
we have class starting at 7:30 and finish at 4:30 monday, 10am tuesday, 3:30 wed, 10 thurs, 5:30 friday.
+pissed+

Originally posted by smugrinch
+pissed+

7:30-5:30pm on Friday!!!!!!!!!?!? :eek:

I'd have a tough time choosing between that and Chineese water torture. What assclown in your school's administration can be credited with the decision to keep people so late on Fridays!?

Our first year we had lecture 8-12 M-F. One day out of the week we had PBL 1- about 3 ish. Wednesdays one day out of the week we have Clinical Skills 1- about 4 ish [alternating weeks for lecture, or going to a preceptor for a pseudo-rotation.]

Pretty f*ckin' rockin' schedule compared to what I'm hearing from everyone else, eh? :clap:

This year, as an MS2: it's lecture 8-12 M-F. PBL one afternoon of the week, and a little more involved preceptor work, which for most people is actually quite time consuming.

Originally posted by The Generalist
7:30-5:30pm on Friday!!!!!!!!!?!? :eek:

I'd have a tough time choosing between that and Chineese water torture. What assclown in your school's administration can be credited with the decision to keep people so late on Fridays!?

I'd love to say it was Dr.*************......We work around the prof's schedules it seems...
+pissed+

We go from 8a to about 3-5p everday. Occasionally, we get an afternoon off, but they've been few and far between.

All this damn class time doesn't leave me any time for learning!

mind if you guys say which schools u goto?

at univ of md its:
8 - 10 lectures
10 - 12 lab

plus
clinical class on mondays from 1 - 2

and then we have about 1.5 hours of small group every week

not a bad schedule

Scheduled lecture/lab/smallgroup time for MS-1 @ Ohio State:
7:30am to ~12:00pm MWF
7:30am to ~10:30am TTh
also ~1:30pm to 3:00pm on Mondays

Generally, with variations depending on exam schedules. Waking up early is tough, but I've been home before noon nearly day of school - plenty of time to screw around as well as study whatever I need for the day.

Funny how everything we thought was important in the application process (rankings, research dollars, # of people per cadaver, etc.) has basically no bearing on how much you enjoy your medical education....

Members don't see this ad :)
I have class 3.5-4 hours a day, M-F with 4 hours in the hospital interviewing patients every Thursday and Touchie feely stuff for 2 hours on Monday.

So:
Monday 8-3
Tuesday 8-12
Wed 8-12
Thursday 8-3 or 4
Friday 8-12

Our first years normally have extra workshops practicing physical skills on tuesday. Oh, and I go to Keck. What schools are the other scheduals from??

Lecture 8-12 every day
Lab 1-3 or 1-5 every day (depending on class)

Yeah. It's a ton. We're working with the curriculum committee to cut out some of the hours.

indiana university

mwf: 9-5
tuth:9-4

First year at Columbia:

M-Th: basic science lecture and/or associated lab from 9-12
T and Th afternoons: anatomy lecture and lab from 1-5
F: clinical practice lecture from 9 to 11 and clinical practice small group from 11-1
M, W, and F afternoons: Two of these are left as free time. The remaining day is when we go to our first year clerkship where we shadow a local doctor.

Once a month we replace three hours of lecture with three hours of small group.

It seems a little confusing at first, but it's actually a pretty nice schedule. There are a lot fewer lectures than I thought there would be, considering our reputation as being a very lecture heavy school.

At SLU during anatomy:

Generally M,T,Th,F we have lab presentations and lecture from 8-10:30 or 11. One day a week (two days every once in a while) you have to dissect from whenever class gets out til whenever you're done. Wednesdays are usually embryo from 9-10:30ish. Every once in a while we'll have a 1:00 anatomy class.

During the first anatomy unit, we also had another class that usually ran from 1-3 3 days a week.

After anatomy we have both Metabolism and Cell Bio, and it looks like we'll be in class more often then, but I don't know how much, since we don't have our syllibi w/schedules yet.

uci

m-f 8-12:15 lecture
3-4 days/week we have patient doctor stuff usually from 1-3.

during this block at howard we have class from 8 to about 12:30 most days. Some days we get out at 1:30. On tuesdays we have a class from 2-5pm. Next semester anatomy starts and we get out at 1:30 or 2:30 everyday.

I'm a first year at the University of Kentucky.

Anatomy
MWF lecture 8-10, lab10-12

Histology
TR lecture 8-10, lab 10-12

"Healthy Human"
M lecture 1-3
W small group 2-4

At LSUS it use to be hell: 8-5; however, a new curriculum was implemented a couple years ago so now we start at 8 and we are usually out by 1:00 and never later than 2:00. The only downfall is that we have mandatory attendance.

mandatory attendance

MWF: 8am - 3pm (3 classes, 2 hours each)
TR: 8am - 5:30pm (4 classes, 2 hours for 3 of them, 2.5hrs for another)

The real kicker is:
We cover ALL of respiratory physio and renal physio in 13 class days. That's not including the insane amount of material for biochem and behavioral science either.

depending on the teacher (if they r good) about 5 hours a week. But usually about zero hours a week. I just cant concentrate for too long when I'm in lecture i

MTWF: 8-12pm
Thurs: 7-5pm
Anatomy 1-3 1x/week

I wish we had less class hours, but looking at some of these other schedules I feel really lucky. I don't pick up much from lecture so I was specifically searching for a school that didn't have 8hrs of mandatory lecture/day. Crazy!

I am so happy I did not go to a school with mandatory attendance. As it is, lecture hours are sort of pointless for me because I never go.

Here's the basics of our schedule, though.

First semester: Lecture 8 to 2 (with lunch break) 3 days a week with only the 1-2 pm session required (anatomy), 8 to 12 2 days a week none required, anatomy lab 2-5 ~ 2 times/week, clinical medicine 1:30 to 4:30 1 time a week. This is the most school intensive semester.

Second semester: Lecture 8-12 Monday - Thursday, lecture 1-3 pm, 1 to 2 times a week. Neuro lab (not required) about 1 hour ~3 times/semester. Required team based learning session 8-12 every Friday. Clinical medicine 1 afternoon/week.

Third semester: Lecture 8-12 daily, Lecture 1-3 one to two times a week. Random required activities 1 to 2 times a week (usually a few hours in the afternoon).

Fourth semester: Same as third semester but random required activities 2 to 3 times a week.

8-10am PBL MWF with lectures following until 12
lab from either 8-10 or 10-12 on Tues/Thurs :sleep:
small group once a week from 1-3ish (not on Fridays)

We have every afternoon off except for small groups once a week and the occasional clinical site visit once a month.

Last semester:

9-11 or 12, 1-5 M Tu F
9-11 or 12, 1-3 W
9-11 or 12 Th

This semester:

9-11, 1-4 MTuThF
9-12, 1-3 W

We get at least 48 hrs off before any test.

mandatory attendance

MWF: 8am - 3pm (3 classes, 2 hours each)
TR: 8am - 5:30pm (4 classes, 2 hours for 3 of them, 2.5hrs for another)

The real kicker is:
We cover ALL of respiratory physio and renal physio in 13 class days. That's not including the insane amount of material for biochem and behavioral science either.

Way to revive an ancient thread. Most of the preceding posters are well into their residencies by now.