How many days a month is a full time ICU job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it like the ER, where they do like 18 shifts a month only?

How does it get split for people who are 50/50 ICU and OR?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it like the ER, where they do like 18 shifts a month only?

How does it get split for people who are 50/50 ICU and OR?

I'm a CCM fellow just starting to explore the job market. I've seen week on-week off with every so many weeks being nights. Also seen about 14-16 12 hour shifts/mo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our guys do a week of days, a week of nights, and a week off. Whatever that works out to.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen 2 model types during my job search.

1. 26 weeks of 1 week on, 1 week off. I don't remember how paid vacation factors in.

2. Shiftwork of days and nights. Usually 12-15 shifts per month.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I saw one group that had an interesting setup of two weeks OR, one week ICU, one week off, with an additional six weeks of vacation (coming out of the OR time) for a total of 19 wks off.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw one group that had an interesting setup of two weeks OR, one week ICU, one week off, with an additional six weeks of vacation (coming out of the OR time) for a total of 19 wks off.
That's how our place is set up

1. I do 7 days in a row of 24 hour call (average about 12-15 hours in-house, 2-3 nights of staying in-house due to un-stable patient(s) in the ICU); avg about ~100 hours of ICU work over 7 days.
2. Following 3 days off duty (M/T/W).
3. Back to OR for anesthesia on Thursday for 2 1/2 weeks.

Plus 6 weeks vacation.

1. I do 7 days in a row of 24 hour call (average about 12-15 hours in-house, 2-3 nights of staying in-house due to un-stable patient(s) in the ICU); avg about ~100 hours of ICU work over 7 days.

Plus 6 weeks vacation.

That sounds pretty rough. pp or academics?

Reactions: 1 users

Plus 6 weeks vacation.
Tell me you're getting paid 700k+

Reactions: 2 users

Plus 6 weeks vacation.

No thanks....

Members don't see this ad :)

Plus 6 weeks vacation.
There's probably prison camps in North Korea with better hours than that, wow...

Reactions: 3 users

Plus 6 weeks vacation.

I'm similar. 7 days on. Weekend after turnover is off, plus Monday and Tuesday off, plus 2 admin days to do with as I please. These admin days can be tacked on to create an almost 1 week on, 1 week off type deal, or be moved anywhere else I want it. Nights while on duty usually covered by our teleICU service, so that I rarely get phone calls once I leave the hospital. I've only come back in the middle of the night on average 2-3 times in an academic year.

If I'm on the TeleICU service, then 4 night shifts (12 hours long) is equal to 1 week of clinical service with same post-ICU time off, in addition to extra admin days. There's also the option to pick up extra TeleICU and cover using one of our centers on the other side of the world, so that I'm working during the day to cover nights here.

Academic practice. Total CC weeks roughly 15 including the TeleICU shifts. This makes me roughly 40/60 OR to ICU

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Plus 6 weeks vacation.

Hell...I'd do it.

If you want rough, there are practices out there with ICU and OR simultaneously. Pre-round, go to OR and round again afterwards with NPs taking care of the little things.

It's academic place in the Northeast. Medium size program.

Ha! I wish. BigDan & I both work there. We weren't very smart when it came to contract negotiations. We learned a very valuable lesson.

Even the crappiest locum jobs are at least $150/hr do you should be getting at least $15k for those 100hr weeks.

It's academic place in the Northeast. Medium size program.

Ha! I wish. BigDan & I both work there. We weren't very smart when it came to contract negotiations. We learned a very valuable lesson.
I doubt that you guys could negotiate significantly in a place like yours. You should feel honored they let you breathe the same air with all the geniuses. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Even the crappiest locum jobs are at least $150/hr do you should be getting at least $15k for those 100hr weeks.
:rofl:

Respectfully.

I interviewed in a place that wanted me to work ~90 hours (when including notes), also with night shifts, in the same large geographical market. Oh, and as a "privilege", they would have paid me the same as if I had been working in the OR for those days (except that the OR salary was for 9 hours/day and OR people had extra pay for any overtime, including weekends - not me).

My advice to all the future suckers: forget CCM, go get a regional fellowship (if needed), then find a decently paying mommy-track job. You'll feel less clever but you'll have a better life.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want rough, there are practices out there with ICU and OR simultaneously. Pre-round, go to OR and round again afterwards with NPs taking care of the little things.
I've seen one like that, too. Some departmental leader**** people must think that intensivist = masochist, that we will take extra crap just for the honor of being allowed to practice the subspecialty.

I don't understand some of these schedules for CCM. The standard for hospitalists and pure intensivists is the 7 on/7 off with 12 hour shifts or some variation on that theme. That seems like it should be the starting point for any negotiations on a combo job...even with (or especially with) academic places with sicker and more complex patients. Although, I am definitely aware of some of the academic places that feel like you should be paying them for the privilege of working there.

I doubt that you guys could negotiate significantly in a place like yours. You should feel honored they let you breathe the same air with all the geniuses. :p

Ya, that's gets real old; especially after working 120 hours some weeks!

:rofl:

My advice to all the future suckers: forget CCM, go get a regional fellowship (if needed), then find a decently paying mommy-track job. You'll feel less clever but you'll have a better life.

Nahhhhh. I disagree. I would do my CCM fellowship ten times over. Knowing some generalists and even cardiac folks coming to us for help is a damn good feeling--and should be worth $200/hr :)

Ya, that's gets real old; especially after working 120 hours some weeks!

Nahhhhh. I disagree. I would do my CCM fellowship ten times over. Knowing some generalists and even cardiac folks coming to us for help is a damn good feeling--and should be worth $200/hr :)
It's probably worth that... in loss of income during the fellowship. :p

I love CCM, too, so I get it.