How many people have dropped out of your class/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

welcometomedsch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people have dropped out of your respective classes.

We started with 118, lost 1 right off and now are up too nine gone going in to third year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering how many people have dropped out of your respective classes.

We started with 118, lost 1 right off and now are up too nine gone going in to third year.

Lost 2 so far out of 70. Probably another 1 or 2 will be missing come MSII. I'm pretty sure some ppl have or will have failed more than 2 classes, and whoever can't pass anatomy/biochem/physiology in the summer will have to repeat as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the residency prospects for people that "fail" a year?

what are the residency prospects for people that "fail" a year?

Prob not good for competitive spots, but you can still have a good chance at primary care, but obviously the less prestigious spots. Either way if you fail but graduate from an LCME school you still have a better pickings than the Foreign medical grads who didnt fail. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that residency spots give priority to LCME graduates. And there's more spots available than there are LCME graduates.

if you graduate LCME and pass Step 1 + 2, regardless of how long it takes or what your academic history is, you will get an ACGME categorical residency slot. it might not be where/what you wanted, but you can get one.

1 person dropped out permanently, 2 got "held back" (sort of), gained 2 from the year above.

Third year starting, we've gained 2 MD/PhDs. net gain of 1.

We started with 111 and tomorrow 111 will graduate, although it's not the exact same 111. 4 from my original class were MD/PhDs and not expected to graduate at the same time as the rest of us. Of the remaining 107, 93 of us will graduate tomorrow. 12 others are now in the class of 2012 because of babies, research years, the opportunity to do a one-year student fellowship in either pathology or geriatrics between 3rd & 4th year, and a couple of people had to repeat classes or rotations which put them behind the rest of us. One person is in the class of 2013 now, and only 1 has actually had to leave the school - I heard she's at a Caribbean school now. We've picked up a bunch of people from the class ahead of us for the same reasons that we've lost others and we've got a few MD/PhDs who are finishing, so we're back at 111 again.

we started with 168 and by end of first year we have two gone (that I know of) and a handful that have summer school to repeat a course

We started off with around 170, I believe we are about at 155 now.

We have had alot of people drop out compared to other years.

Started with 168
3 were in a special 5-year track so they're a year behind now
7 quit completely
4 had to repeat 1st year
2 are doing advanced degrees after 2nd year
and 1 transferred out

We picked up 2 transfers and 2 people repeating from the class ahead. I also think we're getting 1 or 2 MD/PhD students for 3rd year.

So I guess now we're at ~158.

Members don't see this ad :)
We started off with 200 and lost 3 the first semester (all 3 deferred and are now first years).

Had 1 resign at the end of the first year (he was a repeat so resigned after two years of med school without actually finishing one full year).

We had about 10 fail the first year and are now repeating.

We gained about 12 students via a combination of repeats from second year, people who came back from medical leave, and dentists who are now in our class because they're doing maxillofacial surgery.

We're now pretty much back at 200. Wow, that was complicated.

three drop outs throughout the year, two due to medical circumstances, one due to an issue that nobody every discovered, his roommates literally came home one day to find his room empty and he had returned to canada!not even a text goodbye or anything!2 weeks before end of ms1 exams!

that brought us down to 97, of them eleven failed our our knowledge of health and illness module, their repeat exams are on next week, apparently our head of education said two of those eleven wont pass their repeat exams. one of them only got an overall score of 25%. the pass mark was 55% so they were pretty far off the zone of success!

We just started M2, and so far we haven't lost anyone.

We will be losing 6 MD/PhD students when we get on the wards, but we'll be gaining at least one, who is working on finishing up his thesis now.

We do have two people in our class that started with the class of 2013, and dropped to defer a year, but no one in our class started and then deferred (we had a bunch of people defer, but they deferred prior to classes starting).

We started off with around 170, I believe we are about at 155 now.

We have had a lot of people drop out compared to other years.

AuburnO5 and I are in the same class, so yeah -- it's been pretty crazy. We have a fair number of people repeating M1 due to a mix of health/family issues and grade issues. We did gain a couple repeating second year though, so I think we may be back up to 157 or so.

Much higher attrition rate than in previous years.

coreytayloris said:
that brought us down to 97, of them eleven failed our our knowledge of health and illness module, their repeat exams are on next week, apparently our head of education said two of those eleven wont pass their repeat exams. one of them only got an overall score of 25%. the pass mark was 55% so they were pretty far off the zone of success!

11/97 = ~11% of your class failed a module? That speaks to poor instruction rather than the students, imho, unless it was the very first module or you're at a non-US school.

My 2c for anyone reading this who's "scared": don't be. Med school is a lot like a 60-70 hour a week job, but if you treat it as such, you'll be fine. Stay caught up, study hard, and you shouldn't have any problem at all passing. The material we study is not "hard" in the way theoretical physics is hard -- it's rare that you truly fail to understand material. It's simply a matter of a huge volume vs. a limited time to learn it -- hence the importance of staying caught up.

started with 75 1st year (including a couple people from the year ahead)
lost 3 during the year
lost 3 who didn't pass summer remediation
gained 2 from the year ahead

net loss of 4

After first year:
15 joining the "5 year plan", about 15 from previous class joining us via the 5 year plan
2 dropped out
1 expelled

loss of 3

a few left to do other things after M1, a few failed, and a few took "family time" off

I know we have like 3 or 4 that split MS1 at some point during last year so they are still MS1 now and are on the 5 year program.. I know of at least 1 that failed and is repeating the whole year. During last year there was def a few times when I noticed people disappeared and never came back for one reason or another.. I know one got pregnant and decided to split the year and I'm sure at least one "won't be with us anymore" as the instructor said. In ms2 we picked up a couple of previous ms2ers and as far as i know they were sick or had family issues. Its really hard to keep track but yeahh it happens every year.

Nobody knows the exact number, but this year will be the ultimate filter - M2.

no failures from my school. did gain some people from other yrs due to time off for heath/family issues.

There are some real a-holes in my class. Perhaps medical education will excise the cancerous students. probably not though :(

Few from SGU leave or drop out. The last official figure from the Chancellor is 6% - either due to economics, lifestyle (medicine isn't for them), or grades (<75% is dismissal, and there is no curving).

However, ~20% of the class every year "decel", taking about 50% longer time to finish their basic sciences. But then we receive the decel people from the later classes, so class size remains... stable.

There is a scattering of people who do MPH's and such, but those do eventually return to the MD program, so no real changes there.

At the start of MS4 20% of the people in the 4 year MD track who started with me will not be graduating with me.

At the start of MS4 20% of the people in the 4 year MD track who started with me will not be graduating with me.

Yea 20% seems to be around the same for me as well, though I think mine is closer to 1/4 that will not be graduating with me.

We started off with 160 and now have 134, including the MD/PhD adds/drops. We're thought we were the dumb class until 25% of the current M3s failed Step 1. Come on down to Ar-kan-saw! Yeehaw!

We started off with 160 and now have 134, including the MD/PhD adds/drops. We're thought we were the dumb class until 25% of the current M3s failed Step 1. Come on down to Ar-kan-saw! Yeehaw!

Shizah. Holy crap. Bet my entire negative net worth that the school did the whole "we don't teach to step 1" spiel afterwards, amirite? :laugh:

Few from SGU leave or drop out. The last official figure from the Chancellor is 6% - either due to economics, lifestyle (medicine isn't for them), or grades (<75% is dismissal, and there is no curving).

However, ~20% of the class every year "decel", taking about 50% longer time to finish their basic sciences. But then we receive the decel people from the later classes, so class size remains... stable.

There is a scattering of people who do MPH's and such, but those do eventually return to the MD program, so no real changes there.

Speaking of, they calculated 26.8% for you guys on valuemd. That is, 26.8% of the students in Term 1 don't make it to Term 5.

There's a difference between "dropping out" as in quitting or dismissal and taking a year off.

In my class, there were a bunch of people who took a year off, but vast majority of them came back and finished med school in 5 years.

this thread is pretty useless without indicating whether you're talking about a US MD school, a DO school or a Carib school

We're in the Allopathic forum, and since there aren't all that many Carib people here, as far as I'm aware, you should be reasonably safe assuming that these are US MD schools.

Top reasons to not finish on time for us. 7-9 didn't happen for us (so far).

1) fail ms1 (fail 2 courses)
2) fail step 1 (more than once)
3) change of career
4) illness including pregnancy
5) fail ms3 (fail 2 rotations)
6) expulsion
7) fail step 2 (either part twice)
8) fail ms2
9) fail ms4 (is this possible???)

OP's rationale for post - conversation with parents:

OP: But MOMMM everyone's doing it...
Mom: Do not drop out of medical school

You can cure pregnancies.

Wow. That's unbelievable... hopefully there was some administrative ass chewing after that. 25% of the class failing Step 1 speaks to terrible instruction. I wonder if something like that could trigger a review by the LCME?

That said, something I didn't know that one of our advisers told me yesterday: the fail rate for Step 1 nationally by US and Canadian med students (not sure whether that includes DOs, but I'm fairly certain it does) is 9%. That's significantly higher than I would have thought.

Wow. That's unbelievable... hopefully there was some administrative ass chewing after that. 25% of the class failing Step 1 speaks to terrible instruction. I wonder if something like that could trigger a review by the LCME?

wow, that is kind of insane. FWIW, I thought the exam was harder this year, at our school, the scores overall weren't nearly as high as last year.

That said, something I didn't know that one of our advisers told me yesterday: the fail rate for Step 1 nationally by US and Canadian med students (not sure whether that includes DOs, but I'm fairly certain it does) is 9%. That's significantly higher than I would have thought.

no, that's just US/Canadian MD students, not including DOs:
http://www.usmle.org/Scores_Transcripts/performance/2010.html
Examinees from US/Canadian Schools
MD Degree 19,499 92% 19,842 90%
1st Takers 18,003 94% 18,116 92%
Repeaters** 1,496 65% 1,726 61%

25% failing step 1 could also mean the students were just too stupid to learn the material. People need to use outside resources and study harder. Self learning is a big part of medicine.

Don't just blame the school or blame them for too lenient admissions standards.

It's probably some of all of the above, in our case.

I don't know...i find it hard to believe that they were smart enough to pass the first two years of medical school but not step 1...

Not seeing the disagreement...Binge-and-purge memorization doesn't really require a lot of intelligence - just a lot of Adderall.

On the other hand, I know several people who failed or did very poorly on Step 1 due to personal reasons and one or two who just plain didn't take it seriously, as unfathomable as that sounds. They wanted to do family, didn't study, and barely failed. For what it's worth, they did quite well after studying some.