How many people here did get published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Please, indicate the journal, traditional/non-traditional student, and first author/coauthor. How advantegeous these publications anyway for the med school admissions?

I will start the list

Spiderman - J Endocrinology, traditional, co-author.

Members don't see this ad.

Why? Some. In that order. --Trek

I am techincally the primary author for a paper that we recently submitted to JACS (Journal of American Chemical Society). We are waiting word from the refs of any corrections needed before publication.

bruinmojo - Computational Chemistry, traditional, primary author.

I'm hoping that this will boost my chances :/

Members don't see this ad :)
a few abstracts. not even primary author. see you in grenada!

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
a few abstracts. not even primary author. see you in grenada!

At their veternary podiatry school, no less. Chumps ;) --Trek

dr kevin40- Journal of Biol Chemistry (i kinda had to use an alias for reasons i don't want to disclose) i was first author tho, and this was before my freshman year of college. also published 2 abstracts...my prof in college submitted recently to Neuron i believe, but i'm 2nd author on that one. the reserach i'm doing this summer, not there yet, but hoping to wrap it up and submit to Nature or science. first author of course. traditional app. i don't do reserach to boost my app, i just kinda like learning about science.

Callin BS on this too. Another 10 bucks on it. --Trek

dr kevin40- Journal of Biol Chemistry
1st Rain Drop - Clin Infec Dis, Am J Infec Control, Infections of Leisure (chapter 12); non-trad, all first author.

Some interviewers were highly impressed (surgeons, peds, residents) while others didn't seem to care less about them (dean of admissions).

Exigente chica- pending article at JBC, 5 published first author abstracts at national meetings

jot - J Kitten psychology, primary dish washer.
1st Rain Drop - Clin Infec Dis, Am J Infec Control, Infections of Leisure (chapter 12); non-trad, all first author.

DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another manuscript in prep (hopefully, damn these med school applications)

I guess I qualify as non traditional, I'm only 22 but finished undergrad two years ago and have been working in the interim.

peace,
DW

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a patent. What for?? A BBQ grill burner and ignition system!! Oh yeah!!!

Hey, atleast it's something. Perhaps it will give an adcom member a laugh and he/she will want to meet me. :)

I'm a non-traditional student. I'm 26.

-Spiderman - J Endocrinology, traditional, co-author.
-bruinmojo - Computational Chemistry, traditional, primary author.
-dr kevin40- Journal of Biol Chemistry
-jot - J Kitten psychology, primary dish washer.
-1st Rain Drop - Clin Infec Dis, Am J Infec Control, Infections of -Leisure (chapter 12); non-trad, all first author.
-DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another manuscript in prep (hopefully, damn these med school applications)
-Barton-Journal of Nuclear Medicine (2), Journal of Nuclear Medicine Techology (2), Journal of American Health System Pharmacy (1) (some first author, some co-author)

Originally posted by Zoobaby
I have a patent. What for?? A BBQ grill burner and ignition system!! Oh yeah!!!

Hey, atleast it's something. Perhaps it will give an adcom member a laugh and he/she will want to meet me. :)

are you serious? with your other credentials nowithstanding, that should be an interesting conversation piece come interview time. And if you could somehow tie that to your motivation to become a physician, I'd at least be mightily impressed. :)

DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another
manuscript in prep
dvm J Vet Pharmacology and Therapeutics, non-traditional first author, three in Lab An Sci and one in Theriogenology as Co-author

Originally posted by DW

are you serious? with your other credentials nowithstanding, that should be an interesting conversation piece come interview time. And if you could somehow tie that to your motivation to become a physician, I'd at least be mightily impressed. :)

Yeup, I hope so. The thing actually works too - 20,000 sold and not ONE failure or customer complaint. The engineers tell me that has to be some kind of a record. :)

Too bad I don't OWN the patnent. The company I work for paid for all the lawyers etc, so I'm the inventor but not the owner. Oh well, I'll have to get rich on something else. By the way, if med school doesn't work out we should all become intellectual properties lawyers. Those guys make BANK.

spiderman, traditional applicant. don't have my BS yet. altho according to trek, i have a lot of it. :)

what happened? ppl here cut out my published abstracts.

DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another
manuscript in prep
dvm J Vet Pharmacology and Therapeutics, non-traditional first author, three in Lab An Sci and one in Theriogenology as Co-author

the boy wonder - playboy magazine, readers letters section, June 2000. Sole Author

manuscript in prep
Trinners - JBC (1st author), JBC (2nd author, in press), meeting abstract.

Femtochemistry- Resuscitation Journal; co-author.
manuscript in prep

Trinners - JBC (1st author), JBC (2nd author, in press), meeting abstract.

hey femto
drop the ether from your grinard

finney
5 ochem papers (co-author)
1 geriatric bioscience (lead author)

it's so sad... i've worked 4 different research jobs for 4 years and have never been published. i think i just happened to work for unproductive people. oh well... oh yeah, and 1 year of the work was full time! for that project i managed/analyzed the data for a whole year with no help from anyone else and didn't even get acknowledged. such is life. just had to bitch a bit, because it really is ridiculous. like right now for instance, i'm creating tables (which requires quite a bit of thinking/reading) for a journal article to be published and am not even going to get acknowledged.

I have two publications in Epilepsia: Journal of the International League Against Epilepsy. Both on are the clinical use of a novel anti-epilepsy drug. They were also submitted and accepted as poster presentations at last December's American Epilepsy Society meeting in Philadelphia.

Publications are nice, but they won't mean squat if you don't have the numbers.

Nonetheless, good luck to you all,

-Skip

a lot about publishing depends on how generous your PI is - if s(he) happens to be a bighost/super productive - or if they are just starting out and want to publish a few huge one and save up their data. i think medcoms and md/phdcoms know that - so if they are interested, they want to know exactly how you contributed intellectually to the project. i know quite a few people that are even 2nd or 3rd authors on papers in great journals, but would probably have an anyeurism if you asked them what they did. but writing and going through the process is an excellent experience which anyone should take given the opportunity.

When I was in Beijing, my photo was published in the front page of the People's Youth Daily (It's not Seventeen) because of what I was wearing at the time (straw hat, Hawaiian shirt, and sneakers) garnered the name of Playboy.

lola - does your institution work to a "Good Research Practice" document or "Good Publication Practice"?? Check it out - at my institution right of authorship for students/research assistants is defined and protected. It's only fair...

i don't know if they publish a document like that -- probably. the one i really should have gotten some sort of acknowledgement/authorship on was from a va hospital. they may go through stanford's irb and stuff, but i'm not really sure. the reason i wasn't acknowledged is b/c i quit my job before the study was over. the girl who took over for the remaining 6 or so months of the study probably got 2nd author. anyway, it's just frustrating since i did A LOT of the work.

may I add my list? :) I feel really lucky that albeit a slow start to getting published, in the last year I've received numerous publications. If you guys want help on how I pulled it off (it's really all about approaching the right person the right way) PM me and I"ll let you know more. :)

Co-author: Experimental Aging, Psychosomatic Medicine, an Ob/Gyn journal, and one in works which most likely will end up at Psychoneuroendocrinology.

Primary author: Since it's quite an elite journal, I hesitate to mention the name, but I'll tell you that it's an Internation Journal of Bioethics.

I think research is great, but publications make the hard work oh-so-sweet. I really hope Lola get's her share. :(

Tweetie

rainmkre-traditional, Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology (under review), primary.

First author, Optometry and Vision Science, will appear in next month's issue.

if u recall, i said i worked in lab as a high school student. this wasn't dabbling. this was hardcore, for 3 years. i had my own research project. i was westinghouse (intel) science talent search, dunno if u heard of it, but its the most prestigious science competition for under 18s. i was given an award that my state's governor (california) and her entourage came down to my high schooll to present to me. getting published in jbc isn't thaaat big of a deal bikini princess. he already owes me money for the comments he made about me on that ba/md thread. yall don't have to believe anything.

Originally posted by finney
hey femto
drop the ether from your grinard

finney
5 ochem papers (co-author)
1 geriatric bioscience (lead author)

hmmm...you can't run a gringard without a solvent, and diethyl ether acts as the solvent. I am right?

Originally posted by Femtochemistry

hmmm...you can't run a gringard without a solvent, and diethyl ether acts as the solvent. I am right?

I think Finney is just trying point out that you shouldn't have it in the chemical equation..

no...i wanted to put it over the arrow; trying to follow the convention, but i can't. I know its not a reactant, what the hell you think i am: a freshmen?!
:p

Originally posted by Femtochemistry
I know its not a reactant, what the hell you think i am: a freshmen?!
:p

:laugh: you're only 19, right? so you deserve it.