How "old" will you be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scota

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how "old" other SDNers will be when they begin medical school. It is not my intention to put anyone down, I'm just curious.

I'll be 25 when I start! When I started college, I had no idea what I wanted. I took all sorts of classes, many not having anything to do with my major. The positive side of this is that I've learned how school "works", and I can definitely get A's in those science pre-reqs ;).

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be 35 when I start next year.

me... 29 .. if all goes well! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
26 if all goes well

Though this is all taking too long :mad:

almost 26...

How about older post-bacs who are already attending med school? Do you associate with mostly older students? Is there any sort of stigma?

I'm 43 years-old, currently a 3rd year student, and frequently wonder why more people closer to my age do not choose to enter medical school. I can certainly empathize about money, and a vastly altered lifestyle once beginning the journey. I was an electrical engineer designing computer chips in the previous career. While my salary was insane for the last part of the 90s, I really did not enjoy my work, my workplace, or many of my colleagues. I loved engineering, just not the insane pace and focus on cranking products out the door. Had I not decided to enter medical school, I very well might have moved to Steamboat Springs, Colorado and tried a career as a mountain bike designer and manufacturer. But instead, here I am with just 15 months left in medical school and a palate of options for the rest of my working career.

There are a few areas in medicine where age is against you. Surgery for example is a sport for younger players than myself. While I got stellar evaluations in my surgical rotation and honors in the course, six weeks of 100+ hour weeks convinced me that life as a surgeon is a destiny for other students. Yes, there technically is an 80 hour work week, and the 80 hours reported on the timecard is strictly enforced. The reality is most surgical residents work far in excess of 80 hours, and it seems like most attending surgeons do as well. As the director of surgery pointed out, the vast majority of surgeons retire by age 55. Who wants to keep waking up at 2 a.m. and doing a lap appendectomy in their 50's.

At our school, the population is just so diverse that giant groups of students rarely get together and party. We did in the first year while everything was brutalizing our souls. Less commonly in 2nd year because we all started using free time to study for step one of the boards. Now in third year, we are all spread out doing different rotations in different hospitals, and we see each other only at orientation for the next rotation, and during the shelf exam at a rotations conclusion. It's like life, you hang out with the other students, residents, and attendings that you click with. Many of the older students are married with children and when they have free time, they spend it with the family. In one respect you'll have an advantage because you're closer in age to most of the attending physicians. It turned out that one of my attendings was a fellow ski team member when I was an undergraduate. Residents and attendings like discussing topics other than medicine, so if you have any other life experiences, you're much more fun to work with.

The biggest factor that age plays in the game of medical school is the diminished quality of life while once again a student. Instead of hanging out exclusively with other medical students I still run with my long-time friends. None of them are in school. All of them have plenty of free time and cash to play, to travel, to dowhat they want. I certainly don't have much free time and I live on a pretty strict budget. So frequently I end up turning down opportunities to go skiing, hiking, to concerts, etc. Right now, there's just no free time anymore.

The biggest hassle that I've experienced resulting from my age came from a 30'ish female instructor leading a small group component of a class that was part ethics, part alternative medicine, mostly bulls#@t. She was just pissed off that somebody my age got into medical school. A physician friend told me that she had interviewed several consecutive times and not been accepted. So I got the bitchy shoulder from the "Wish I was doing what you're doing," person, but nobody else seems to care how old you are. In most medical schools there are plenty of older students. Most classes have a few students with a PhD iin something, a few career switchers, retired military, etc. The attending physicians all love older medical students because apparently we are more comfortable talking to patients and digging out the necessary details during an interview.

I have absolutely no regrets about entering medical school. It's likely that my career will more or less be an extension of engineering. Probably I'll move into pain medicine through an anesthesiology residency or maybe I'll become a radiation oncologist. The thing is, if you decide to become a physician, you can for the most part pick exactly what type of physican you will be. You get to pick your dream job. I could never do that as an engineer.

Hope this helps.

Somewhere between 33 and 37.

Youngest in my class 19. She finished 2 bachelors in both chemistry and physics by that time!

Oldest- 36

gtb: thanks for the story. You give me hope.

I'll be 36 when I start, if the plan goes like clockwork. I'm 33 now, and need some prereqs out of the way (nice work, getting that all-arts BA degree) so I can take the 2005 MCAT.

The life of the 40-year-old intern really doesn't sound all that terrible to me. The last 10 years have been a parade of beige cubicles and working the altruistic side of bizness. I don't have a tale of stellar performance and huge salaries while I was on the 'wrong' path, but I think that speaks well of my choosing this one, for the rest of my 100 years on the planet. It took me a while, but I figured it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 33 now just starting my post-bach. Expect to be 35 (ok..well 35 and 11/12) when I start med school. :) Keeping my fingers crossed that all works as planned :p

From the 43-year-old....

Thanks for sharing.

If I decide to apply this year (which will be quite a challenge) and am accepted, I'll be 25 when I start. If I wait until next year to apply (the much less stressful but requiring more patience route) and am accepted I will be 26.

I will be either 32 (if I apply for 2005 entering class) or 33 (entering class of 2006).

It's never too late!!! :D

I'll be 28, hopefully.

It's not that I mind being an older applicant but I feel like I've got nothing to show for it. I haven't had some other career or have a family already or something like that. I've pretty much been in school the whole time just working on different classes.

:p I'll be 25 when I start, if I get in the first time I apply. I knew about my junior year of college (class of '02) that, due to personal reasons, I wasn't going to apply "on time". I had intended to take two years off, but i got a new job after a year away from school and wanted to make the committment to stick through the full two years. I should begin the Fall of 2005 and graduate in 2009, at the age of 29.

If i don't get in the first time, who knows how old I'll be if I get in the second time! But I'm so happy with the decisions I've made. I feel that I look at life, death, and the whole process of applying and becoming a doctor so much differently than I had before. Even more so, i think my outlook on the doctor-patient relationship and the true responsibilities of the physician are far more mature than some friends i have to went to med school "on time".

Life really adds to who you are... Keep your head up everyone!:clap: :clap:

I'll be 28 if I make it in on my first try, otherwise I'll be 29......:clap:

38 and counting...;)

I will be 20 by 17 days...

Im 26 now and about halfway done with my post bacc. Fingers crossed that I'll be part of the entering class of 2005..

hey bonez what program are you in ?

I'm at SUNY Stonybrook. It's not a real program per se, just signing up for whatever courses you need. (I was not a pre-med in undergrad, so I had to do all of my sciences).

I'll be 25 when I start this coming fall.

But I have a bit of a long road ahead... 7 or 8 years for my MSTP (MD/PhD), then fast-track dual residency in peds neuro (another 4 years?), then probably a research fellowship (3 years?)... so I hope to be in some type of faculty position by the time I'm 40.

It's a little later than most, I guess. But it's all about getting the type of training you want, and enjoying the process of getting there. I'm looking forward to it.

I am 33 now and just about to start my post-bacc. If all works well, I'll be a 36 year old matriculant.

Good luck everyone!

Hi,
I will be one month shy of turning 30 when I (hopefully) start med school in the fall of '05!

I figure its now or never - and down with the cubicles! :)

u2ecila

I'll be 36 when I apply and 37 when I actually walk in the door for my first day of med school.

Optimistic? Heck yea :D

~Johnny~

Originally posted by Megalofyia
I'll be 28, hopefully.

It's not that I mind being an older applicant but I feel like I've got nothing to show for it. I haven't had some other career or have a family already or something like that. I've pretty much been in school the whole time just working on different classes.

Hey Meg, that's similar to my story, I spent over a year just taking post-bac classes, doing ECs and working just one day a week - I did have full time work after college but nothing stellar like a grad degree or a huge successful career or kids to show for the time. I'll be nearly 28 when I start in August. I did it, that's all that matters.

I feel like the ONLY and I mean ONLY good thing about not going to med school right after college was that I got to become quite proficient in sign language. I wouldn't have had the time in med school. But still that's little consolation to me. Hopefully this is the year that I get in and I can stop worrying about this.

I'll be 28 when I start this fall.

Swiper The Fox,

I know this may be off topic, but your icon is awesome :laugh:!

Originally posted by scota
Swiper The Fox,

I know this may be off topic, but your icon is awesome :laugh:!
Thanks. I give all credit to the original Swiper The Fox, who gave me permission to use his likeness here. He's sneaky and steals stuff and all, but once you get to know him, he's actually a pretty good guy. He's just dealing with some obsessive-compulsive issues in his life, a result of his sad and tragic time as a young adolescent fox.

I'll pass on your compliments. ;)

Is it too late to revive this thread :laugh:?!

49, next year. 57 when I finish residency

I'll be 24 if I get in right away. Otherwise I will be 25.

If everything goes well I will be 28 or 29 when I start medical school.

If I'm luck enough I'll be 27 when I start. All you 21 year old ladies out there...look out cause you aint gonna what hit ya!! :laugh:

Tooth

P.S.

I generally don't discriminate so you older ladies can be safely assume that you'll also have the pleasure to be tempted by my charm. :D

If I get for 2005 I wll be the ripe age of 26!!! :luck:

If all goes well, I'll matriculate in 2005 at the grand age of 42.

26...Hopefully! :D

I will be 34 when I start pre-req's...so 36 when I start :)

I was thinking last night...I'm going to be 40 years old regardless. Either I'll be 40 and be a doctor, or 40 and still marketing cheap crap to the masses. Then today I read almost the exact same thought somewhere else on this board. Finally, my head is in the right place!

Oh and one last thing...I was inspired even more my Reagan's passing last week. I was young when he was in office, I didn't realize he took the oath of office at 69! Imagine, starting a whole new life at 70! In the time it'll take us to get through school + residency, Reagan defeated communism (not to start a political debate, but just to illustrate accomplishment agree/disagree - I'm not advocating here...). Who else at 70 years old believes in themselves enough to tackle something like that? Surely at 36, I can handle medical school :)

scota said:
I was wondering how "old" other SDNers will be when they begin medical school. It is not my intention to put anyone down, I'm just curious.

I'll be 25 when I start! When I started college, I had no idea what I wanted. I took all sorts of classes, many not having anything to do with my major. The positive side of this is that I've learned how school "works", and I can definitely get A's in those science pre-reqs ;).

Wow! 25? Over the hill, doood.

LOL. I'm starting next year (somewhere). I'll be 49.