how to write diversity essay as a cis white female?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdoof11

Reaction score
i know that this is a bit of a common question, but i really am at a loss for what to say when secondaries ask how i can contribute to the diversity of a school. like i am cis, straight, white, middle class, basically boring. i have had a lot of great experiences with diverse populations but i myself really do not contribute. i know that people online say that things like being a single parent or coming from a unique location make you diverse, but i really dont have anything like that. the closest that i can think of is that i am a twin, but i know that would be ridiculous to talk about for these types of questions. any tips abt how to go about writing these secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

Being ORM, I focused on diversity in background and thought. I’m a non-trad paramedic who worked with a diverse patient population and stated that would translate well when working with pts with different backgrounds than myself, as well as when collaborating with fellow students and healthcare providers. It can be a tad harder if you don’t have as many experiences to work off of.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Piggy backing off the previous comment, you can talk about one of your great experiences with diverse populations and relate it back to the importance of diversity in medicine and communities/ how you might have made an impact working with diverse populations and relate that to you as a future physician. Just some thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
i know that this is a bit of a common question, but i really am at a loss for what to say when secondaries ask how i can contribute to the diversity of a school. like i am cis, straight, white, middle class, basically boring. i have had a lot of great experiences with diverse populations but i myself really do not contribute. i know that people online say that things like being a single parent or coming from a unique location make you diverse, but i really dont have anything like that. the closest that i can think of is that i am a twin, but i know that would be ridiculous to talk about for these types of questions. any tips abt how to go about writing these secondaries?
Introspection is a requirement for being a doctor.

What's cool about you?

Reactions: 1 users
Think of:

Identity -- How has your being a twin affected you? Do you have a heightened appreciation for individuality after constantly being compared with someone so much like you and yet, quite different? (I don't know if your twin is identical, but I know enough twins to know that twins are different individuals.)
Deeds -- Where have you excelled. Gone off the beaten path? Done something that isn't typical of pre-meds. Do you collect butterflies? Play a certain kind of instrument? Excel in a sport? How has that experience influenced your ability to work in a team? Allowed you to recharge? Appreciate nature, music, or whatever? Led you to appreciate cultural differences?
Ideas -- Do you have a distinctive value system -- perhaps influenced by your upbringing or religion (Yes i realize this could be related to identity). Are you the natural bridge builder in your dorm, office or club? Are you the one who comes up with off-the-wall ideas that after a little thought aren't so crazy and are actually adopted? That kind of creativity could be valuable and contribute to a class and community.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Are you a 1st-gen college student? Do you come from a family of blue-collar workers? All of these things can make you "diverse" especially when the majority of med students come from families with advanced degrees.

Reactions: 1 user

Lots of great replies here already

1. Diversity means a lot of things. You are likely not as boring as you think. Ill bet if you told me your life story, I could pick out some unique things about you. Having a twin may of had some impact on your upbringing or experiences. You can definitely play off that if you do it correctly.

2. My dad didnt graduate high school, obtained his GED and retired a millionaire. Same with his father. I was the first to finish college, let alone med school in the family. Look at your family aspects. Anything interesting there? Perhaps your parents experience impacted you in some way

3. What was college like for you? What do you experience/learn? How did you grow as a person?

4. Interesting jobs you may of had that led to interesting experiences.

Different doctors have different talents/experiences. Im a psychiatrist, and have basically no skill in the OR besides minor suturing. I know a good bit of general medicine too. I would wager a surgeon is good in the OR but doesnt know **** about psychiatry. Our experiences in life, and unique talents shape our future. Who are you as a person?

Reactions: 3 users