I am SAD Weill rejected my 35

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a) touche b) read above, "edit" :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

sham-

I was new to the site when I made that initial comment. After some time with this site, i have grown to respect you for both your dedication and sense of humor. Truce accepted.

Originally posted by Dr. Lawyer
CTIL:

YEAH WHITEY!!!!

:clap:

Indeed. CTIL, let me know if you're interested in one of the prestigious Honky Scholarships. I'm applying for one right now and would be glad to send you information. FYI, it's a full ride...FOR LIFE!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This process doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't understand how you people with 3.9/35 aren't getting interviews. Are you admittedly bad writers? The only thing I can think of that would cause someone with 3.9/35 not to get an interview invite is a lame personal statement. I can understand someone getting denied post-interview with a 3.9/35 if they had no personality, but the pre-interview rejection just doesn't make sense to me. . .assuming your LORs don't incriminate you in a felony offenses. Just to further illustrate my point (about this process not making sense) I have neither a 3.9 nor a 35 and I have two top-twenty acceptances and interviewed at Cornell in October (and I'm a white male with modest ECs).

CTIL,

Well, I have been told by two english profs that I am a wonderful writer (you don't find many in the Engineering College, so there isnt much competition though) and I really worked hard on my personal statement, and via meetings with my letter writers I got the impression that they all had positive things to say. But, I guess I just think that the schools are looking for people to fit in their idea of a student, that is, to fill a role in that particular class. Apparantly at Cornell, they weren't looking for an EMT/marathoner/triathlete who loves to cook and play guitar:(

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.... no worries, no hard feelings.

:D

Congrats on your interviews and acceptances though!

deuces,

Tom

got an invite to an interview at Cornell. From my experience and the experience of others, they seem to send invites out on Wednesdays. They interview till the 27th of February and seem to have most of their slots in february open.

I hope you guys don't think I'm some anti-AA guy because I mentioned I'm a white male. I just wanted to make the point that someone with my less-than-stellar stats would be more likely to get in somewhere if he/she were a URM. I actually don't even know if that is true, but if it were, I would have no problem with it.

Originally posted by CTIL
I hope you guys don't think I'm some anti-AA guy because I mentioned I'm a white male. I just wanted to make the point that someone with my less-than-stellar stats would be more likely to get in somewhere if he/she were a URM. I actually don't even know if that is true, but if it were, I would have no problem with it.

That's what everyone says, but I don't buy into that logic. I'm still aiming for the "top". :D

remember Cornell also has a relatively small class and likes to pride itself on balancing various geographical, sexual, racial, age, experience etc etc factors so its really up in the air .as far as their picks

Originally posted by rikkitikki
remember Cornell also has a relatively small class and likes to pride itself on balancing various geographical, sexual, racial, age, experience etc etc factors so its really up in the air .as far as their picks

How does a school purposely balance "sexual" factors? Perhaps I missed that question on AMCAS.

Originally posted by CaNEM
How does a school purposely balance "sexual" factors? Perhaps I missed that question on AMCAS.

He meant Gender I believe

I can not understand why everyone thinks that ALL doctors need to have been the ASU president and that they all need to spend 7 years in Guatemala and 3 years with the peace corps and that they absolutely have to somehow have developed "bedside manners" before they even go to med school. Grades don't matter?? Whoever says that is plain wrong. Not everybody is going to be a pediatrician. Personally if I need to have my stool sample analyzed by a pathologist or need to get medication administered by an anesthesiologist or my X-rays examined by a radiologist (the list goes on...) I'd take the doctor with the 39 MCAT over somebody with 20 years experience working with starving orphans in Bangladesh. Who says grades are easy to come by? Many students with decent grades have worked very hard to get to where they are and are rightfully proud of their accomplishments.
<p>
Let's not lose our perspectives. A few years from now, many of us are going to be in administration posts or part of admissions committees and we need to be able to fix this absurd system that the call the admissions process.

Originally posted by geromine
I can not understand why everyone thinks that ALL doctors need to have been the ASU president and that they all need to spend 7 years in Guatemala and 3 years with the peace corps and that they absolutely have to somehow have developed "bedside manners" before they even go to med school. Grades don't matter?? Whoever says that is plain wrong. Not everybody is going to be a pediatrician. Personally if I need to have my stool sample analyzed by a pathologist or need to get medication administered by an anesthesiologist or my X-rays examined by a radiologist (the list goes on...) I'd take the doctor with the 39 MCAT over somebody with 20 years experience working with starving orphans in Bangladesh. Who says grades are easy to come by? Many students with decent grades have worked very hard to get to where they are and are rightfully proud of their accomplishments.
<p>
Let's not lose our perspectives. A few years from now, many of us are going to be in administration posts or part of admissions committees and we need to be able to fix this absurd system that the call the admissions process.

I agree with you. Well said.

Members don't see this ad :)
that said, i got into Columbia, Boston, Tufts, UCSD, Georgetown, Tulane + Al Einstein last year with a 3.3 and 34. not the best numbers by any stretch... my very presence here with the first-year class at Columbia tells me that admissions is more than a numbers game. of course, stellar marks shouldn't ever hurt a candidate...

i've a feeling however that mediocre marks from a "prestigious" school garner far more attention than the same from a lesser known program... (me=very thankful i went to one of the former)

to all of mediocre peeps out there:

isn't it depressing to read about all of these 3.9 35T people?

holler...if you here me

I must respond to this comment. First, no, students don't need to already have perfect bedside manner before they come to medical school, but some of the skills needed for that quality are innate. There are some real social *****s out there (hence, interviews). Even if you are going into path or radiology, you at the very least will be interacting with other health care profs. However, the MAJORITY of doctors do interact with patients. Second, getting high grades with few extracurricular time commitments is much easier (in my experience and those of my friends) than getting high grades or even good grades while volunteering, playing sports, doing theater, music, research. As a friend of mine on the Yale adcom said, it also shows that someone knows how to make good choices of where to put their time and energy. Decision making is an important quality in doctors.

Grades are important but someone who has good grades with a lot of time commitments compared to someone who has excellent grades is probably more capable at tackling the work in medical school. They've learned to manage their time better and make choices about what is important and what is not. With all the people out there with good stats, schools need ways to differentiate between students. Life experience is one of the best ways in my opinion.

<p>

Originally posted by ankitovich
to all of mediocre peeps out there:

isn't it depressing to read about all of these 3.9 35T people?

holler...if you here me

OH, I'll holla back at that!! Sorry but I want even address the OP and add to his "sympathy list." I'm glad he didn't get into Cornell!;) ;) ;)

PEACE:p

jtheater, I disagree. Drs aren't supposed be your mother. I'm not going to be holding anybody's hands. I'm there to do a job and I will do it. Its no different than any other job. If somebody else feels that holding hands isa good way to do it, by all means they should go ahead and do it and see if it works for them but don't impose it on others. Now that doesn't mean that I am going to be a arrogant jerk either. People like that are easy to filter out and schools can easily do so in the interviews. But there is no way in hell that you can rule somebody out preinterview just because you feel that the type of activities they undertook in school makes them fit a certain stereotype that you think makes them unworthy of your school.
My idea: Take the people with best scores and grades that you can for interview. Eliminate secondary application altogether. Dump the wackos post interview and then start looking at extracurriculars, essays and letters to select amongst the remainder. It a 100 times more efficient and we would have more competant doctors and fewer malpractice lawsuits.

Geromine, first, I think you misread my post, as my bedside manner post was in reference to another post specifically. My point with admissions criteria and extracurrics is that someone who has a lot of time consuming extracurrics and somewhat lower grades than someone who does not have a lot of time commitments but higher grades does not indicate that the person with the higher grades is more intelligent. I know people who never did anything but study their asses off for O-Chem. So what? It shows that they can learn material well under non-stressful situations. Who cares... that's not life? So extracurrics should be at the beginning of the process. I think grades are probably the most important aspect of an application, but only has cut-offs. Basically they are their to inform an adcom if someone can handle the work at medical schools. Just chosing the highest grades and scores will not necessarily mean you've selected the most intelligent people. This is why applications should be looked at as a whole package once someone has met a critical level of acceptence with grades and scores. Does that make sense.

As for you other point about not holding someone's hand... WOAH! I hope you go into radiology or pathology if that is your feeling. No one is asking you to be a mother, but the profession does call for a certain level of empathy and compassion that does entail holding someone's hand who may be dying, in extreme pain, or just plain scared. Touching someone can have a profound effect on your ability to provide care. It can allow for trust and openness between patient and healthcare provider.

My clinical experiences I believe are better indicators that I will do well in medicine, coupled with my decent grades. The two show that I can handle the work academically, physically, and emotionally. Withouth that experience, could I still do well in medicine? Yes, of course. But how would the admissions committee know that?

jtheater, I disagree. Drs aren't supposed be your mother. I'm not going to be holding anybody's hands. I'm there to do a job and I will do it. Its no different than any other job. If somebody else feels that holding hands isa good way to do it, by all means they should go ahead and do it and see if it works for them but don't impose it on others. Now that doesn't mean that I am going to be a arrogant jerk either. People like that are easy to filter out and schools can easily do so in the interviews. But there is no way in hell that you can rule somebody out preinterview just because you feel that the type of activities they undertook in school makes them fit a certain stereotype that you think makes them unworthy of your school.
My idea: Take the people with best scores and grades that you can for interview. Eliminate secondary application altogether. Dump the wackos post interview and then start looking at extracurriculars, essays and letters to select amongst the remainder. It a 100 times more efficient and we would have more competant doctors and fewer malpractice lawsuits.

Ok, Geromine, you may not think that compassion is necessary to the practice of medicine. Maybe you think treating the sick is just like flipping burgers. Fair enough. That's your opinion.

But you have not only future docs on SDN telling you that compassion is necessary, you have the med schools THEMSELVES telling you that it's important by the very fact it's one of the things they look for to determine who gets IN to med school.

You can continue to believe and act however you'd like. Let's see how far that gets you. And if/when you are a doctor, let's see how your patients will feel when they find out that you view them as just warm bodies with pockets full of money.

If "doctoring is no different than any other job," then why is it so hard to get into med school in the first place? Why are they so selective? If it's no different than any other job, then why care about who gets admitted to med school at all? If we're looking to make the admissions process more efficient, then why not just admit the first however many people submit their completed application? After all, they must be just as qualified to do the job, and since they submitted so quickly, then they must be efficient! What more does a doctor need?

If we followed your system, we'd have even MORE lawsuits. Didn't you hear about the arrogant jerk that left in the middle of surgery to go to the bank? I guess he was someone who thought his job wasn't especially important, but look where that got him.

Well said, Curci! Compassion is a lost art in society today. Sometimes, all a person really needs to feel "better" is a little bit of Vitamin "T" (touch). ;)

Originally posted by fat_thrombosis
that said, i got into Columbia, Boston, Tufts, UCSD, Georgetown, Tulane + Al Einstein last year with a 3.3 and 34. not the best numbers by any stretch... my very presence here with the first-year class at Columbia tells me that admissions is more than a numbers game. of course, stellar marks shouldn't ever hurt a candidate...

:laugh: but then again, you went to "hahvard." columbia is so jam-packed with harvard alum i'm surprised there'd even be any doubt as to the affiliation! :p

Originally posted by jtheater
Grades are important but someone who has good grades with a lot of time commitments compared to someone who has excellent grades is probably more capable at tackling the work in medical school. They've learned to manage their time better and make choices about what is important and what is not. With all the people out there with good stats, schools need ways to differentiate between students. Life experience is one of the best ways in my opinion.

I completely agree with this! When I entered college, I knew that I wanted to be a doctor. BUT, my primary goal at the time was to win an international competition in martial arts. There is no doubt that my GPA was sacrificed while I trained every day and competed at least once a month. In the end, I accomplished this goal and I am now completely set on going to medical school next year. Since I was unable to dedicate nearly any time to studying during my first two years of college, should I be punished in the admissions process simply because my "good" stats aren't "great"? The benefits that I received from competing in a sport that I love are far greater than the benefits I could have gotten from endless hours of studying Freshman Bio 1. Could I have studied endlessly? Sure. Would my GPA be higher? Sure. Does that really matter in the end? I don't think so.

Originally posted by DrKicker
I completely agree with this! When I entered college, I knew that I wanted to be a doctor. BUT, my primary goal at the time was to win an international competition in martial arts. There is no doubt that my GPA was sacrificed while I trained every day and competed at least once a month. In the end, I accomplished this goal and I am now completely set on going to medical school next year. Since I was unable to dedicate nearly any time to studying during my first two years of college, should I be punished in the admissions process simply because my "good" stats aren't "great"? The benefits that I received from competing in a sport that I love are far greater than the benefits I could have gotten from endless hours of studying Freshman Bio 1. Could I have studied endlessly? Sure. Would my GPA be higher? Sure. Does that really matter in the end? I don't think so.
What? That makes absolutely no sense. How does martial arts make you a better doctor?!! You should be at a disadvantage when compared to someone with better stats, because stats are the only OBJECTIVE measure of your ability to be a good doctor.

And in response to the compassionate people: compassion does not save lives, good doctors do. Compassion only makes you feel better about dying.

What? That makes absolutely no sense. How does martial arts make you a better doctor?!! You should be at a disadvantage when compared to someone with better stats, because stats are the only OBJECTIVE measure of your ability to be a good doctor.

And in response to the compassionate people: compassion does not save lives, good doctors do. Compassion only makes you feel better about dying.

My point I meant by this was that numbers are NOT completely objective. To some extent, numbers = innate ability + time spent studying. My argument was that if you have some activity that consumes a great deal of time during college, your numbers will not be as high as someone who can study constantly. I just used my specific example...(BTW, it has worked well for me so far in this app. process!)

I personally would love to see the reaction of a medical school interviewer if you said that. Although medicine in large part is about saving people's lives, medicine is also about helping people die sometimes. I think you need more experience with illness either personally or professionally before EVER making such a claim. Having had several patients with terminal illnesses in this country during research projects and in developing countries during clinical work I can attest to this. You help them through a difficult transition, sometimes they are on their own. This is your job... whether you like it or not. It is part of the art of medicine. Yes, you do everything you can to save their life and compassion does help you get closer to a patient, maybe they will tell you something they didn't want to before or maybe they will follow your instructions more closely if they trust you.

Originally posted by mvervaine
:laugh: but then again, you went to "hahvard." columbia is so jam-packed with harvard alum i'm surprised there'd even be any doubt as to the affiliation! :p

Amen to that!!! Not to start trouble hear but I'm sick of the ivy leaguers moaning. Didn't you all hear how easy it is to get A's at Harvard?? It was all over the news a couple of years ago. And I have friends and doctor bosses that can attest to that. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the ivy walls even though I had the grades, since I had to pay my own tuition at a state school which was probably harder than some of those harvard classes anyway. So, go ahead and go cry in your cognac at your family's "vacation" home this weekend while the rest of us get to work!!

Peace

;) ;)

Originally posted by holler79
Amen to that!!! Not to start trouble hear but I'm sick of the ivy leaguers moaning. Didn't you all hear how easy it is to get A's at Harvard?? It was all over the news a couple of years ago. And I have friends and doctor bosses that can attest to that. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the ivy walls even though I had the grades, since I had to pay my own tuition at a state school which was probably harder than some of those harvard classes anyway. So, go ahead and go cry in your cognac at your family's "vacation" home this weekend while the rest of us get to work!!

Peace

;) ;)

thanks for saying it like it is :clap:

thanks for saying it like it is:clap:

Hey, why don't you borrow the family brain cell and experience higher order thought. It'll tingle at first, but it should pass.

Hope That Helps.

P 'Podunk' ShankOut

Ivy Leaguers and other elite college kids: here's to intellectual snobbery!!!! :laugh:

Originally posted by CaNEM

med schools generally like to pick a class that is sexually balanced i.e. some virgins, some players, some sluts. sometimes they throw in a few hermaphrodites or transgendered to mix it up a bit. don't forget the necessary 50/50 male female ratio and token homosexuals and bisexuals. i don't think there is any room for alphabetas.

Originally posted by lola
med schools generally like to pick a class that is sexually balanced i.e. some virgins, some players, some sluts. sometimes they throw in a few hermaphrodites or transgendered to mix it up a bit. don't forget the necessary 50/50 male female ratio and token homosexuals and bisexuals. i don't think there is any room for alphabetas.

Your first foray into humor is ambitious in nature but you definitely possess potential.

Lesson #1: subtle humor

ex. Lola, I have 27 reasons why you don't want to get involved in a battle of wits

Lesson #2: aggressive

ex. its really disconcerting when a girl uses a picture of a cow as her representation online. i picture you and duece bigalow in a sequel.

With love,
AB53

what are you talking about, 27? [too dumb to figure out or score well on the mcat]

Originally posted by lola
what are you talking about, 27? [too dumb to figure out or score well on the mcat]

don't worry lola, I think alpha's referring to their own IQ ;)

Originally posted by the boy wonder

oh yeah... DUH. thanks for clarifying, boy wonder. it's sometimes hard when you have a pea sized brain.

Originally posted by the boy wonder

Well SAID!

Please guys, don't fight. This forum should be used for helpful and constructive comments only. You are all Genius Rockstars in my eyes.

Hope that Helps

P 'Try to be More like the Pope' ShankOut