I took an easy gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolguy23

Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my third gap year. I worked really hard during my first two gap years. I did tons of volunteering, clinical work, and some amazing research.

This year I still did research and was able to push through a bunch of publications and tutored on and off, but I took it incredibly easy compared to what I've done in the past. I am using part of my time (around 3 months) to study for a retake for the mcat and with the rest I explored my own personal interests. Will med schools look down on me for "taking it easy" this last year? Will it hurt me that I used this time to explore myself, my hobbies, my own personal health, and spend time with family and friends? Was I selfish to do this instead of adding another full time job?

For example, I've never been a person that regularly went to the gym and I've always had a bad sleep schedule, but by stepping back I was able to get into the best physical shape I have ever been in and I have a great sleep schedule. It has done wonders for my mental and physical health and I feel so much better for it. I believe I will be able to take these lessons and continue to live my life this way in medical school if I am accepted. I also went to a bunch of guest lectures at the university where my research lab is because I was randomly scrolling on my university website and found that professors and various lecturers just come here from all over the world and lecture for free! It was amazing to be able to attend events like those. I was also able to start writing a novel that I've been wanting to write for a very long time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will med schools look down on me for "taking it easy" this last year? Will it hurt me that I used this time to explore myself, my hobbies, my own personal health, and spend time with family and friends? Was I selfish to do this instead of adding another full time job?
Can I ask you: are you better as a person than you were three years ago? Do you feel more prepared, healthier, and motivated to pursue a healthcare career? Is your mental health stronger and your purpose clearer?

If so, why are you worrying about what strangers think? Find people who affirm your decisions with your networking in this process. I have no doubt you will find them.

Stop being a "tortured premed" when you aren't.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently finishing up my third gap year. I worked really hard during my first two gap years. I did tons of volunteering, clinical work, and some amazing research.

This year I still did research and was able to push through a bunch of publications and tutored on and off, but I took it incredibly easy compared to what I've done in the past. I am using part of my time (around 3 months) to study for a retake for the mcat and with the rest I explored my own personal interests. Will med schools look down on me for "taking it easy" this last year? Will it hurt me that I used this time to explore myself, my hobbies, my own personal health, and spend time with family and friends? Was I selfish to do this instead of adding another full time job?

For example, I've never been a person that regularly went to the gym and I've always had a bad sleep schedule, but by stepping back I was able to get into the best physical shape I have ever been in and I have a great sleep schedule. It has done wonders for my mental and physical health and I feel so much better for it. I believe I will be able to take these lessons and continue to live my life this way in medical school if I am accepted. I also went to a bunch of guest lectures at the university where my research lab is because I was randomly scrolling on my university website and found that professors and various lecturers just come here from all over the world and lecture for free! It was amazing to be able to attend events like those. I was also able to start writing a novel that I've been wanting to write for a very long time.
Don't sweat it. Not everything in life should be done with the explicit purpose to get into med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask you: are you better as a person than you were three years ago? Do you feel more prepared, healthier, and motivated to pursue a healthcare career? Is your mental health stronger and your purpose clearer?

If so, why are you worrying about what strangers think? Find people who affirm your decisions with your networking in this process. I have no doubt you will find them.

Stop being a "tortured premed" when you aren't.
I'm absolutely more prepared than I was three years ago. I am much more mature and ready to succeed in medical school.

I didn't mean to come off as trying to be a "tortured premed". I just don't know much about how adcoms view your journey. But your response is reassuring so thank you.

I'm absolutely more prepared than I was three years ago. I am much more mature and ready to succeed in medical school.

I didn't mean to come off as trying to be a "tortured premed". I just don't know much about how adcoms view your journey. But your response is reassuring so thank you.
No problem. Most of us give you the benefit of the doubt. Many other applicants have a longer journey to get to an interview, so as long as we see how you prepared yourself, you'll be fine.

This is a normal thing to do that will have no direct effect on your app. A lot of my non-medical experiences actually helped during residency applications. It would only look bad if you did absolutely nothing.