Interview Bubble Burst

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopiewoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title :( I found out that my top choice, and only MD II, that's scheduled for January is almost certainly an II for their waitlist. I have 2 II from DO schools, but for one reason or the other (and unrelated to them being DO) I don't particularly love the idea of going to them (one is muchhhh more rural than I thought and the other has pretty expensive COL and tuition). I'm from NY, so there obviously isn't a shortage of state schools and it honestly just feels incredibly demoralizing that despite working so hard it might just not be enough in the end. Stats are right down the middle too at 511 and 3.78 with great EC's, so it's not like I can pinpoint any huge deficits to work on I don't think :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry bro.

Please realize this isn't about whether you're a good/worthy person or not. It's just a function of way more qualified people than spots.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Hey, that really sucks. To anyone reading this: the bitter, uncomfortable truth that people find out at this point in the application cycle is that interview invites =/= acceptances. All you can do now keep volunteering and getting clinical experience. And perhaps most importantly, do things that bring you joy and feed your sense of self-worth. Go see a movie with a friend, have dinner with a family member, go on that weekend trip you've been meaning to go on, etc. If your entire existence is devoted to getting into medical school you will be eaten alive.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Title :( I found out that my top choice, and only MD II, that's scheduled for January is almost certainly an II for their waitlist. I have 2 II from DO schools, but for one reason or the other (and unrelated to them being DO) I don't particularly love the idea of going to them (one is muchhhh more rural than I thought and the other has pretty expensive COL and tuition). I'm from NY, so there obviously isn't a shortage of state schools and it honestly just feels incredibly demoralizing that despite working so hard it might just not be enough in the end. Stats are right down the middle too at 511 and 3.78 with great EC's, so it's not like I can pinpoint any huge deficits to work on I don't think :(
Work on the self esteem and try to realize that your med school app is not a reflection of your self-worth or your value as a human being.

It's just that there ar so many applicants that MD schools can pick and choose who to interview, much less accept.

Also keep in mind that a wait list position might turn into an accept, right?

" I don't particularly love the idea of going to them (one is muchhhh more rural than I thought and the other has pretty expensive COL and tuition)"
Why did you apply to them?

Reactions: 2 users
I have followed the school's thread where someone posted that all interviews starting in January are for the WL... did you hear this directly from the school, as well? I think it would be fair to confirm this directly with Admissions, to ensure that this was not misconstrued.
If it is true - don't get down on yourself! Wow them in the interview and make them want you. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said--people get in from the WL. They wouldn't waste time interviewing you if they didn't expect and intend to ultimately accept multiple people from these interviews.

Work on the self esteem and try to realize that your med school app is not a reflection of your self-worth or your value as a human being.

It's just that there ar so many applicants that MD schools can pick and choose who to interview, much less accept.

Also keep in mind that a wait list position might turn into an accept, right?

" I don't particularly love the idea of going to them (one is muchhhh more rural than I thought and the other has pretty expensive COL and tuition)"
Why did you apply to them?

The one DO school I knew was rural from the get go, but as I said (and speaking as someone from a relatively small town in general) I found that the area was much more rural than how it is portrayed online and by the school. This is consequential because my opportunities while being there would be pretty limited and that worries me. The other school is still one I’m glad I applied to and would attend, but I don’t want to ignore the impact that a greater COL and tuition would have on the total amount of debt I’m going to be taking on.

The one DO school I knew was rural from the get go, but as I said (and speaking as someone from a relatively small town in general) I found that the area was much more rural than how it is portrayed online and by the school. This is consequential because my opportunities while being there would be pretty limited and that worries me. The other school is still one I’m glad I applied to and would attend, but I don’t want to ignore the impact that a greater COL and tuition would have on the total amount of debt I’m going to be taking on.
It's only going to be two years. They'll fly by.

Go for the cheaper tuition. You're 40-year-old self will thank you