Is it worth to do extra schooling to apply to in state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobym

Reaction score
I currently graduated from my university with a 3.7 cumulative, 3.6 science gpa and will have around 900 hours of veterinary experience as well around 1,000 hours of animal experience. I'm going to be applying for veterinary school this summer and then taking a gap year. I already have 6 schools that I will be applying to. However, I am 1 course short of being able to apply to UC davis which is an in state school and 2 courses from being able to apply to Western University. I don't think I have a strong possibility of making to UC Davis, but I think I might be able to get into Western University. But for me if I am already going to take 1 course, I might as well do a second course to apply to both. Especially since one of the courses I need for Western, is also the only course I need for Davis. However to be honest, I am so tired and the thought of doing school work while working makes me so demotivated. Is it worth it to do the 2 extra courses to have a chance to go to an in-state school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis tuition is about $34k per year for IS but they have grant money that typically gives about 7K back to students per year so in total it covers almost an entire year of tuition. Your GPAs seem fairly competitive, although I don't know what your last 45 gpa estimate would be which is something Davis weighs heavily. But overall I think it would be more than worth it to take the extra class and try. You can always list it as in progress and plan to take it the following spring and if you aren't awarded an interview then you don't have to follow through on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Davis tuition is about $34k per year for IS but they have grant money that typically gives about 7K back to students per year so in total it covers almost an entire year of tuition. Your GPAs seem fairly competitive, although I don't know what your last 45 gpa estimate would be which is something Davis weighs heavily. But overall I think it would be more than worth it to take the extra class and try. You can always list it as in progress and plan to take it the following spring and if you aren't awarded an interview then you don't have to follow through on it.
I believe my last 45 gpa is a 3.7 as well. Do you think that would give me a good chance of getting into Davis?

I believe my last 45 gpa is a 3.7 as well. Do you think that would give me a good chance of getting into Davis?
Hard to say because it's cycle dependent. But the money you would save makes it completely worth applying regardless.

Western may not be worth applying to because they are a private school, and therefore there are no in or out of state students. And it's expensive

Reactions: 1 users