Is religious related volunteering a good, bad or benign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElijahFree

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I am active in one of my school's christian ministries and help out with leadership, planning events and doing things like Bible studies. I wanted to know how much of that, if any, would count as a positive on my application or perhaps it would count as volunteering hours (e.g. helping plan a outdoor game day). Obviously not all adcoms have Christians or any religious people for that matter. But I'd appreciate some advice on if its worth incorporating or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So I am active in one of my school's christian ministries and help out with leadership, planning events and doing things like Bible studies. I wanted to know how much of that, if any, would count as a positive on my application or perhaps it would count as volunteering hours (e.g. helping plan a outdoor game day). Obviously not all adcoms have Christians or any religious people for that matter. But I'd appreciate some advice on if its worth incorporating or not.
Volunteering whose primary purpose is the conversion of others to your belief system fall flat as a resume builder, even though you have a constitutional right to pursue this activity. You don’t get bonus points for trying to convert the heathens.

If you want points from me, go engage in service to others less fortunate to yourself.

Reactions: 13 users
Volunteering whose primary purpose is the conversion of others to your belief system fall flat as a resume builder, even though you have a constitutional right to pursue this activity. You don’t get bonus points for trying to convert the heathens.

If you want points from me, go engage in service to others less fortunate to yourself.

No that makes sense, I appreciate the response. What about doing volunteer work at a food pantry or ESL organization that uses a church to meet. Things that aren't specifically "religious" but are worked out of or use a church building, resources, etc?

Also, the point of mentioning the leadership in the ministry part was to ask if that shows leadership skill as a general positive trait, or is that a bit suspect to since it is a religious organization?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I completely disagree with this. For the reasons listed above, there are a number of activities sponsored by faith-based organizations that are run without any strings attached on trying to "convert heathens."

Furthermore, leadership is leadership. While it's been used in a religious organization up to this point, and maybe it's not as dramatic as being president of your pre-med interest group, that is still an important attribute that could be useful to a med school. Just because the experience is "controversial" to some segment of people reviewing your application (think involvement in Planned Parenthood for another, but completely different example) doesn't mean you shouldn't list it.

Reactions: 3 users
It shouldn't be an issue. Break down what you are doing. Are you teaching Sunday school? You might want to call that teaching/tuoring. Are you running a soup kitchen or food pantry out of the church basement? That would be straight up "volunteer, non-clinical". Are you organizing volunteers to run a parish event? Give that activity a slot and call it "leadership". Are you providing music at worship services? You could call that hobby/advocation or artistic and just say that you sing/play an instrument and, in particular, are involved with the xyz group.
Bible study is a tough one. Are you a member of the group? You could call it hobby/advocation or other but, for the most part, it doesn't seem like a good fit with work/activites. I'd lump it in with attending weekly worship services as something that would be out of place on an application.

Reactions: 6 users
It will shine in your app for any of the faith-based schools, like Creighton etc.

I completely disagree with this. For the reasons listed above, there are a number of activities sponsored by faith-based organizations that are run without any strings attached on trying to "convert heathens."

Furthermore, leadership is leadership. While it's been used in a religious organization up to this point, and maybe it's not as dramatic as being president of your pre-med interest group, that is still an important attribute that could be useful to a med school. Just because the experience is "controversial" to some segment of people reviewing your application (think involvement in Planned Parenthood for another, but completely different example) doesn't mean you shouldn't list it.
Here's what OP wrote:

So I am active in one of my school's Christian ministries and help out with leadership, planning events and doing things like Bible studies.

This is not what we're looking for, except maybe at Loma Linda and LUCOM.

What about doing volunteer work at a food pantry or ESL organization that uses a church to meet.

This is perfectly fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Here's what OP wrote:

So I am active in one of my school's Christian ministries and help out with leadership, planning events and doing things like Bible studies.

What about doing volunteer work at a food pantry or ESL organization that uses a church to meet.

This is perfectly fine.
This is interesting, I volunteer with a religious organization and they have all that bible studies etc. but my job has nothing to do with any religious rites, I simply provide food and bed for homeless people, take their belongings, clean the building, does it count as a non religious service to less fortunate than yourself?

This is interesting, I volunteer with a religious organization and they have all that bible studies etc. but my job has nothing to do with any religious rites, I simply provide food and bed for homeless people, take their belongings, clean the building, does it count as a non religious service to less fortunate than yourself?

Imo, the point is that it doesn’t really matter if the organization itself is religious or not - what matters is what you’re doing. Food and shelter for the homeless? That’s service, and provides them with much-needed resources. Handing out Bibles? Not so much.

Reactions: 9 users
How do you all feel about building a church/school in a 3rd world country? I've been here a week and am flying back tomorrow. I laid brick, helped weld trusses, built a roof, and set up a fence for 8 hours a day for 3 days. We donated money to the missionaries, left some clothes,shoes, etc, taught English to the children (and learned spanish from them!). It was in a very poor, small fishing village on the coast in south america. I'm not that religious a person myself but I felt the experience was invaluable personally

Yes, that's the type of service we're looking for.

the religious aspect doesn't matter if you are of service to others, as you did.

But handing out today's sermon or setting tables for the midservice coffee break is something you're supposed to do for your religious group. It's like you taking care of a family member...you're supposed to do that! It's doing stuff for strangers that we need to see.

Building a church/temple/mosque overseas? I'm not giving points for that. Building a church+ school? That's OK

Reactions: 1 users
Here's what OP wrote:

This is perfectly fine.
I still think there are a number of places that would see taking a leadership role favorably. Not simple stuff like handing out sermons or showing up to Bible study, but truly taking ownership and planning events. That is what I understood when’s the OP said “leadership.” If you have that, it should be listed. Worst case scenario it’s seen as a neutral by someone like you, but I guarantee there are people out there who do give that consideration.

I also think that while it’s a little cliche to show up for 3 days to help build a church in a developing country, that should definitely be listed.

Reactions: 1 users

I am new to SDN so I am not sure if replying to a comment this old is allowed, but I was curious on whether if a religious-related volunteer service was ok for non-clinical volunteering if it helped the less fortunate? For specific context, I volunteer at a “Gurudwara” (place of worship for Sikhs) that gives free meals to anyone every Saturday. I’ve always thought it’s ok because I’m not of Sikh faith.

I am new to SDN so I am not sure if replying to a comment this old is allowed, but I was curious on whether if a religious-related volunteer service was ok for non-clinical volunteering if it helped the less fortunate? For specific context, I volunteer at a “Gurudwara” (place of worship for Sikhs) that gives free meals to anyone every Saturday. I’ve always thought it’s ok because I’m not of Sikh faith.
Feeding the hungry as a volunteer is certainly non-clinical volunteering and the location or the creed of the sponsoring group is not a consideration. The point is, you are serving others who are not able to do this for themselves.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
It's feeding while proselytizing that is frowned upon.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I would like to tag off of OP's initial post. I have been a part of a campus ministry since I was a freshman. By the time that I graduate, I will have been a leader for 3 years and have about 1000 hrs with the organization. For me, this involves planning promos for around campus, planning events, mentoring underclassmen (with anything they are going through with classes, family, friends, faith, and even personal struggles like mental health), and organizing, planning, and leading weekly bible studies. It also includes service to our community outside of campus, as we organize events having to do with giving back (including serving food to the homeless, handing out hats/gloves during our midwest winters, etc). This has been a big part of my undergraduate career and is my main form of leadership (besides smaller things with <100 hrs).

My campus ministry is quite progressive in its views as far as religion goes. We organize and plan events for the campus regarding diversity and about the power of loving everyone despite our differences (physical, sexual / gender identity, etc). While our weekly meetings are faith-based, we also organize events for students that are simply non-faith based opportunities to meet people and feel connected and discuss social topics (as mentioned previously). We are open to everyone of all faiths and where everyone stands in their own beliefs. When we organize events to give back to the community they are also not faith-based and instead just a way that college students can learn to give back and serve others.

Due to my many hours of leadership, it is definitely something that I want to include on my application but I hope that it won't be looked down upon or red-flagged.

Last edited:
If I can be agnostic, atheist, or a member of the Church of the Spaghetti Monster and be able to volunteer for that activity, I wouldn't have an issue. Food pantry service whether it is sponsored by a temple or a church or a non profit interfaith group is also fine with me.

However, if doing this is expected for you to affirm your faith identity can be an issue. Doing a mission trip because it is expected of you because of your faith identity can make one question your true service orientation or makes me want to look for more experience that builds upon it.

Of course if you spent over 1000 hours in an organization, do not be afraid to include it. It is part of who you are and we often forget how much medicine is entwined with faith and religion. So I suggest breaking down your hours between communing with your peers like it were a social club/leadership and community service activities. See how it looks in your first draft of your app.

We have faith-based clubs in our schools. Ask students.

Reactions: 2 users
I taught comprehensive sex ed through my church. Never came up during interviews. As with anything, I would be aware of stereotypes that exist about whatever group you're coming from and make sure adcoms know your religion won't have a negative effect on your practice. There's a stereotype that some branches of Christianity are hungry for converts, make sure adcoms knows you won't be proselytizing to patients. There's a stereotype that some religions are anti-gay, against pre-marital sex, use of alcohol and drugs and not comfortable working with patients who don't share those values. Truthfully I don't know many religious people, Christian or otherwise, who are as I've described and it's unfortunate that a small group have made folks a bit wary of religion in general. But I would try to pre-empt any concerns adcoms could have and have an answer ready or build an answer into your app. Hope my comments haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way. I was raised to respect all religions and hope this serves as a practical answer.

On another note, I suspect having religion on an application can help in certain areas where populations in need of care share that religion; could make you a better mission fit.

I would like to tag off of OP's initial post. I have been a part of a campus ministry since I was a freshman. By the time that I graduate, I will have been a leader for 3 years and have about 1000 hrs with the organization. For me, this involves planning promos for around campus, planning events, mentoring underclassmen (with anything they are going through with classes, family, friends, faith, and even personal struggles like mental health), and organizing, planning, and leading weekly bible studies. It also includes service to our community outside of campus, as we organize events having to do with giving back (including serving food to the homeless, handing out hats/gloves during our midwest winters, etc). This has been a big part of my undergraduate career and is my main form of leadership (besides smaller things with <100 hrs).

My campus ministry is quite progressive in its views as far as religion goes. We organize and plan events for the campus regarding diversity and about the power of loving everyone despite our differences (physical, sexual / gender identity, etc). While our weekly meetings are faith-based, we also organize events for students that are simply non-faith based opportunities to meet people and feel connected and discuss social topics (as mentioned previously). We are open to everyone of all faiths and where everyone stands in their own beliefs. When we organize events to give back to the community they are also not faith-based and instead just a way that college students can learn to give back and serve others.

Due to my many hours of leadership, it is definitely something that I want to include on my application but I hope that it won't be looked down upon or red-flagged.
This is significant leadership experience, and will not be red-flagged as long as, when you write about it, you emphasize what you have learned and accomplished.

There's a stereotype that some religions are anti-gay, against pre-marital sex, use of alcohol and drugs and not comfortable working with patients who don't share those values.
Unfortunately, there are some religions that not only fail to live down the stereotype, they actually live up to them. I've had gay students tormented by religious students int he past, so we Adcoms are wary of that mindset.