JPS Fort Worth, TX New Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derek

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that JPS the county facility in Fort Worth and soon to be Level I trauma center has been approved for a 3-year ACGME residency with 13-slots per year. Initial accreditation is for 3 years. Unclear when the first class will matriculate.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to let everyone know that JPS the county facility in Fort Worth and soon to be Level I trauma center has been approved for a 3-year ACGME residency with 13-slots per year. Initial accreditation is for 3 years. Unclear when the first class will matriculate.

If it was approved for a residency, shouldn't it start as of July 2010? Is it going to participate in NRMP this year for the match of 2010?

Should be an awesome program, good pathology, I don't know about the Level I but they see a lot as a level II. Good program staff. If you really want to learn it's a great place to apply. Again a new program so that must be considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I'm scouting out possible places to apply to next year, I thought I read somewhere this program would start in 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As I'm scouting out possible places to apply to next year, I thought I read somewhere this program would start in 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. I spoke with a source in the program and I was told that they have been approved but will not have their first class enter until 2011. I don't have a reason why 2011 instead of 2010. Unfortunately, applicants will not be able to go to JPS Hospital in 2010 as this place will have a great program, with a good amount of trauma and good pathology. The PD seems cool as well. Good luck to all next year who want to go to Forth Worth and don't mind being in a new program.

JPS is now a Level 1 trauma center. Although it is a 'new' program it will be using a lot of faculty who have experience teaching residents. The first intern class will start in 2011.

Will the program participate in ERAS?

Will the program participate in ERAS?

It should be in ERAS for this upcoming application cycle. I visited the ED last year and spoke with the PD and it looks like it will be a really good program.

Looks like Baylor has a new program for next app cycle as well... also no ERAS. kinda annoying.....

Looks like Baylor has a new program for next app cycle as well... also no ERAS. kinda annoying.....

Baylor had it's first class starting this July and were not part of ERAS this year (as far as I can remember).

Baylor had it's first class starting this July and were not part of ERAS this year (as far as I can remember).

Baylor is not starting in July. The next July though it will. JPS is one incredible place to train. It was the hospital where I did most all my medical school rotations. I went to medical school in Fort Worth and it is a great city to live in. Cheap, decent weather, great restaurants, no traffic, and the main residency in the hospital has always been the FM program. It is quite possibly one of the best FM programs around. These residents are usually running the medicine service and the ICU by 2nd year. The ED is very busy. Lots of crazy trauma and lots of sick patients. It helps though to be able to speak some Spanish..will make your life much easier.

Baylor is not starting in July. The next July though it will. JPS is one incredible place to train. It was the hospital where I did most all my medical school rotations. I went to medical school in Fort Worth and it is a great city to live in. Cheap, decent weather, great restaurants, no traffic, and the main residency in the hospital has always been the FM program. It is quite possibly one of the best FM programs around. These residents are usually running the medicine service and the ICU by 2nd year. The ED is very busy. Lots of crazy trauma and lots of sick patients. It helps though to be able to speak some Spanish..will make your life much easier.

Well, then this is news to me as that's what the program told me when I called them during scramble week this past march.

They already have an intern class picked to start this july. Two of the medical students from my medical school are in the class.

They already have an intern class picked to start this july. Two of the medical students from my medical school are in the class.
Sorry, last I heard it would be next summer before they got a class. I guess they meant next summer before they actually matched a class.

Has anyone heard any news from JPS? I applied there, but I haven't heard from them about an interview. Also, does anyone know what's going on with the PD? Other students applying to EM (who went to Las Vegas) said there may be a new PD taking over. Thanks!

Just got my interview invite recently.
PD was carl gossett when i rotated there, the email is signed by one rick robinson and signed as PD.I have no other info, but will ask on my interview.

Has anyone heard any news from JPS? I applied there, but I haven't heard from them about an interview. Also, does anyone know what's going on with the PD? Other students applying to EM (who went to Las Vegas) said there may be a new PD taking over. Thanks!