Language Immersion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanielMSSM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a great Spanish language immersion program in Central or South America?

I am looking to go for 4 weeks and would like to find one that has a medical Spanish component.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

while traveling in south america last summer, i kept meeting people who had great things to say about the language school in cuenca ecuador. ecuador is very beautiful, and i found the spanish dialect to be clear and easy to undersand, unlike some other places i've been. i personally preferred quito to to cuenca...nicer city. don;t know about medical immersion programs, sorry. have fun.

I did an immersion program this past summer in Nicoya, Costa Rica. The website is www.spanishcostarica.com. It was very good. I did 3 hrs/day in the class room and then two hours a day in the hospital rounding with an internal medicine doctor. The school set the volunteering up for me. It was interesting seeing another country's medical system. Nicoya is a nice city to be in because it is not very touristy, not many gringos and not much english spoken. It is also only a 45 minute bus ride to a really beautiful beach. I did not speak any spanish before I went and learned quite a bit. I stayed for 4 weeks. I have heard the spanish programs in Guatemala, specifically Antigua are also good. They are quite a bit cheaper than the Costa Rica ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school (University of Kentucky) sends some people every year to a medical Spanish program in Oaxaca, Mexico. I went last year and it was great. The city is really nice and the program was excellent. We go through a language school called the Instituto Cultural de Oaxaca. (Google the name and you can find their website.) The medical portion consisted of a class in medical terminology and interviewing, some lectures in English on health issues in Mexico, and several fieldtrips. We visited a private hospital, a public hospital, an HIV clinic, a rehab hospital, and two traditional healers (curanderos).

All in all, it was a great program which I highly recommend.

Here's the poor man's spanish immersion program. Do voluntry work in the hispanic part of your town, watch spanish tv, listen to spanish radio and cultivate friendships with spanish speakers. :)