Latest can take MCAT to apply to T10-20s without repercussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

concernedman

Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently scheduled for a May MCAT date but am insanely confident based on FL's and growth that if I take it mid June, I'll do really well and get the score I want.

What is the latest I can take an MCAT without repercussions for applying to T20s (as an ORM male)? I'll submit my primary the first date it opens and be using the throwaway method. Would a test date of June 14 (06/14) with a score back of July 14 or so with throwaway method be ok?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

To plan ahead for a subgroup of schools, it's hard to identify "consequences" if one doesn't have everything in order by the time secondaries are sent out. Check the school specific threads; I don't think many brand schools restrict distributing secondaries. Schools like money. Few are requiring Casper or PREview though many want the scores for "research."

We repeat, it's okay not to submit on Day One. Triple check for all possible unforced or embarrassing errors. Have your secondary essay drafts or outlines ready.

Welcome to the forums.

To plan ahead for a subgroup of schools, it's hard to identify "consequences" if one doesn't have everything in order by the time secondaries are sent out. Check the school specific threads; I don't think many brand schools restrict distributing secondaries. Schools like money. Few are requiring Casper or PREview though many want the scores for "research."

We repeat, it's okay not to submit on Day One. Triple check for all possible unforced or embarrassing errors. Have your secondary essay drafts or outlines ready.

right. but let's say I submit my primary the first week it opens.

how late can I take my MCAT and not have any repercussions for T10-20. not in any way to disrespect you, I appreciate the help. but the above looks like a lot of waffling.

I'm mainly trying to understand when the first cycle "ends" and when it's considered the second cycle. I know that first week of June MCAT throaway method is still first wave. so ig I'm asking - what day in June is it then second wave. And does June 14 fall in the first or second wave (July 16 score back), assuming throwaway method

Members don't see this ad :)
right. but let's say I submit my primary the first week it opens.

how late can I take my MCAT and not have any repercussions for T10-20. not in any way to disrespect you, I appreciate the help. but the above looks like a lot of waffling.

I'm mainly trying to understand when the first cycle "ends" and when it's considered the second cycle. I know that first week of June MCAT throaway method is still first wave. so ig I'm asking - what day in June is it then second wave. And does June 14 fall in the first or second wave (July 16 score back), assuming throwaway method
A school will not consider your application complete without an MCAT score, and many will not make a decision on sending you a secondary until they see one.
If you already have a score but are just retaking for a better one, the school may still want to see the second score when it comes out. Include the new test date on your primary application so they would know to watch for that score and not judge you on the first score alone.
There is no “first cycle” of apps, the cycle is continuous so don’t search for a magical date that puts you in the first batch.

Reactions: 1 users
A school will not consider your application complete without an MCAT score, and many will not make a decision on sending you a secondary until they see one.
If you already have a score but are just retaking for a better one, the school may still want to see the second score when it comes out. Include the new test date on your primary application so they would know to watch for that score and not judge you on the first score alone.
There is no “first cycle” of apps, the cycle is continuous so don’t search for a magical date that puts you in the first batch.

sorry I meant first wave and second wave, not first and second cycle.

I'm still a bit confused/feel like I don't understand fully. If I take my MCAT June 14 (with a score release date of July 16) and use the throwaway method where I submit my app the first week of June, is that considered first or second wave? Will it hurt my app basically.

I'm still a bit confused/feel like I don't understand fully. If I take my MCAT June 14 (with a score release date of July 16) and use the throwaway method where I submit my app the first week of June, is that considered first or second wave? Will it hurt my app basically.
No. There is no first wave and second wave. Submit when you are ready and have proofread your application many times, so that it can enter the AMCAS verification queue. By the time your MCAT score is ready in July, it will be sent promptly out with your primary application. Guided by your score you can select & add more schools. Once your primary AMCAS app is confirmed and sent out, adding more schools does not make it go back through verification again.

Reactions: 3 users

The primary application is sent out June 28 this year I believe, but the thing is it needs to be verified before it is sent out. I believe it can be verified without an MCAT score, but please check on that. If it can be verified without an MCAT score, then you want to pick a date where you would receive the score within a couple days of June 28.

Reactions: 1 user
The primary application is sent out June 28 this year I believe, but the thing is it needs to be verified before it is sent out. I believe it can be verified without an MCAT score, but please check on that. If it can be verified without an MCAT score, then you want to pick a date where you would receive the score within a couple days of June 28)
just want to double check im understanding this correctly - sent out as in sent to schools, right? is there a source for this (if not its ok just want to double check and see if I can learn more)

yea it can be verified with an MCAT, that I know for a fact.

No. There is no first wave and second wave. Submit when you are ready and have proofread your application many times, so that it can enter the AMCAS verification queue. By the time your MCAT score is ready in July, it will be sent promptly out with your primary application. Guided by your score you can select & add more schools. Once your primary AMCAS app is confirmed and sent out, adding more schools does not make it go back through verification again.
are you sure about this? I've read other sources on sdn and reddit disagreeing with this. it seems that apps are sent to schools in waves. and as ORM male, I'd ideally not want to get sucked under the current

just want to double check im understanding this correctly - sent out as in sent to schools, right? is there a source for this (if not its ok just want to double check and see if I can learn more)

yea it can be verified with an MCAT, that I know for a fact.
The AMCAS official website sidebar says:
"2025 AMCAS® Application
2025 AMCAS application dates:
May 1, 2024: AMCAS application opens
May 28, 2024: Submission for AMCAS application verification begins
June 28, 2024: Application transmission to medical schools begins
Aug. 1, 2024: Early Decision Program (EDP) deadline"

The AMCAS official website sidebar says:
"2025 AMCAS® Application
2025 AMCAS application dates:
May 1, 2024: AMCAS application opens
May 28, 2024: Submission for AMCAS application verification begins
June 28, 2024: Application transmission to medical schools begins
Aug. 1, 2024: Early Decision Program (EDP) deadline"
gotcha thanks.

looking at 2023, it seems this is somewhat standard, they did it at June 24, 2023 last year.

how will my MCAT date of June 14 effect my wave though?

gotcha thanks.

looking at 2023, it seems this is somewhat standard, they did it at June 24, 2023 last year.

how will my MCAT date of June 14 effect my wave though
I don't think anyone here can answer that question. Assuming the schools receive your MCAT ~July 14, the schools will have begun sending out secondaries already, different schools fill up their classes at different rates. How much that would affect you would depend on how fast every other applicant is able to send in secondaries and how certain schools screen primaries. There are no absolutes to this question for you because it is so dependent not only on other applicants' speediness, but also each individual school (e.g. Tulane is the early bird catches the worm) and even each individual adcom reviewing your application. There is no possible way to quantify how much it will affect your app if schools see it June 28 or July 14 (only a 2 week difference).

I have a bunch of "rules" pegged to holidays.

The rules that pertain to you would be:
have AMCAS application submitted no later than Independence Day (4th of July)
have all MCAT scores, secondaries and letters of recommendation in by Labor Day (first Monday in September)

The other rules:
Don't worry about not having any interview invites until Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving)
Dont' worry about not having any offers until after Mardi Gras (consult Tulane's academic calendar if you are unclear on this date -iykyk)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a bunch of "rules" pegged to holidays.

The rules that pertain to you would be:
have AMCAS application submitted no later than Independence Day (4th of July)
have all MCAT scores, secondaries and letters of recommendation in by Labor Day (first Monday in September)

The other rules:
Don't worry about not having any interview invites until Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving)
Dont' worry about not having any offers until after Mardi Gras (consult Tulane's academic calendar if you are unclear on this date -iykyk)

gotcha thanks LizzyM and awood

it seems that if I prewrite the f*** out of my secondaries and do the throwaway strategy (submit my primary first week of June), I should be okish.

Like I'll literally submit secondaries the day I get them (while other people might take a couple days). does that sound like it would make up some of the difference in time? i'm mostly worried about T20s, not really tulane

It feels like waffling because there is no answer. They do not collude when it comes to issuing interviews. You can't assume they all behave as one.

You have to complete everything for your file to be ready for screening, and anything out of your control could mess that up. This is not a process that is predictable, so it is not worth the effort to believe it can be. Screeners don't review files at the same rate: you could get stuck with someone who gets sick and has to take a break. Again, too many unknowns you can't control, as someone who has tried to keep the trains moving.

I assume you have read

It feels like waffling because there is no answer. They do not collude when it comes to issuing interviews. You can't assume they all behave as one.

You have to complete everything for your file to be ready for screening, and anything out of your control could mess that up. This is not a process that is predictable, so it is not worth the effort to believe it can be. Screeners don't review files at the same rate: you could get stuck with someone who gets sick and has to take a break. Again, too many unknowns you can't control, as someone who has tried to keep the trains moving.

I assume you have read

gotcha thanks appreciate it

gotcha thanks LizzyM and awood

it seems that if I prewrite the f*** out of my secondaries and do the throwaway strategy (submit my primary first week of June), I should be okish.
Yes, that is reasonable. Your score should report by mid-July, and that is early enough to add schools without issue. As long as everything else is done, do your best and trust the process.

Like I'll literally submit secondaries the day I get them (while other people might take a couple days). does that sound like it would make up some of the difference in time? i'm mostly worried about T20s, not really tulane
Make sure you pay attention to details like character count and copy/paste. Give yourself a schedule to submit the secondaries. As long as the prompts do not significantly change, you should be fine.

Yes, that is reasonable. Your score should report by mid-July, and that is early enough to add schools without issue. As long as everything else is done, do your best and trust the process.

Make sure you pay attention to details like character count and copy/paste. Give yourself a schedule to submit the secondaries. As long as the prompts do not significantly change, you should be fine.

appreciate it bossman time to kill mcat

gotcha thanks.

Don't think about it this way. Take the MCAT when you're ready. At this point in the year if that's June 14th then do it. A more solid MCAT score is better than an earlier submission at that point. Just make sure to submit your primary in May so you are verified by the time your score gets back so that you get secondaries back asap.

gotcha thanks.

Bump
Do you mean >3 MCAT scores?

I assume you have read
In addition, apps are not reviewed in order of chronological receipt.

Reactions: 4 users
There’s a lot of advice in this thread so I’m just adding a data point. Took the MCAT end of June and then worked on my app and submitted in early August for processing to be completed end of august. Got my secondaries in by Labor Day and have been accepted to a T20. Ofcourse there’s always a ton of factors but this is just my story. Keep in mind this timeline really sucked for my sanity tho lolllll

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm currently scheduled for a May MCAT date but am insanely confident based on FL's and growth that if I take it mid June, I'll do really well and get the score I want.
I agree with what others have said with regards to timing, but I would caution you against being "insanely confident" about anything. Many have been burned before with that type of mentality, not just for medical school applications, but in training and actual clinical practice.

Bottom line is that you should not take the MCAT until you are ready to take it. If that means mid-June, then take it in mid-June. However, keep in mind that in order to have your primary application be verified by the time your MCAT score comes out in mid-July (most ideal situation), you will need to submit your primary application around the same time of your MCAT, which means you will be studying for your MCAT exam and preparing/submitting your primary application around the same time. This is not ideal. So make sure that you are minimizing your extracurricular commitments for the next few months until you finish submitting all of your secondary applications. You need to treat the MCAT studying and application process like a full time job.

What this would look like (if you pursue this route):
  • Now until end of May - work on your primary application and also MCAT studying
  • Beginning of June until mid-June - focus more heavily on MCAT studying ("final sprint") while still looking over your primary application
  • Mid-June - take your MCAT exam
  • Mid- to late-June - finalize your primary application ("final sprint") and then submit it to one school (to start the verification process)
  • Late-June until mid-to-late July - look over secondary prompts for the schools you are planning to apply to and start drafting your responses.
  • Mid-to-late July - your score will have been released, and if it is satisfactory, send your primary application to the rest of the schools on your list, and then submit your secondary applications when they are ready, ideally by mid-August, but no later than Labor Day as LizzyM says.
If this looks like a lot, it's because it is (and if someone doesn't think so, I would again gently caution against being too confident). Many people try to do this and end up doing both mediocrely. So you do need to be very honest about your capabilities and discipline.

If you cannot realistically commit yourself to this schedule (and do both well), then it may be better to focus on the MCAT this year and then have dedicated time to prepare for an early polished application for the next cycle (2025-2026). Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
My mention regarding Tulane was only in reference to knowing the date of Mardi Gras which can fall anywhere from early February (it was 2/14 this year) to the first week of March. Tulane has scheduled days off for Mardi Gras and the day before so if you didn't know the exact date, Tulane will help you out. The point is that someone who is going to get an offer is likely to have at least one offer by that February/early March timeframe -- earlier than that, one should not fret.

My one concern with the throw away plan is having the time and inclination to write the AMCAS application when one is concurrently prepping for the MCAT.

Please let us know next year how it all worked out for you.

I agree with what others have said with regards to timing, but I would caution you against being "insanely confident" about anything. Many have been burned before with that type of mentality, not just for medical school applications, but in training and actual clinical practice.

Bottom line is that you should not take the MCAT until you are ready to take it. If that means mid-June, then take it in mid-June. However, keep in mind that in order to have your primary application be verified by the time your MCAT score comes out in mid-July (most ideal situation), you will need to submit your primary application around the same time of your MCAT, which means you will be studying for your MCAT exam and preparing/submitting your primary application around the same time. This is not ideal. So make sure that you are minimizing your extracurricular commitments for the next few months until you finish submitting all of your secondary applications. You need to treat the MCAT studying and application process like a full time job.

What this would look like (if you pursue this route):
  • Now until end of May - work on your primary application and also MCAT studying
  • Beginning of June until mid-June - focus more heavily on MCAT studying ("final sprint") while still looking over your primary application
  • Mid-June - take your MCAT exam
  • Mid- to late-June - finalize your primary application ("final sprint") and then submit it to one school (to start the verification process)
  • Late-June until mid-to-late July - look over secondary prompts for the schools you are planning to apply to and start drafting your responses.
  • Mid-to-late July - your score will have been released, and if it is satisfactory, send your primary application to the rest of the schools on your list, and then submit your secondary applications when they are ready, ideally by mid-August, but no later than Labor Day as LizzyM says.
If this looks like a lot, it's because it is (and if someone doesn't think so, I would again gently caution against being too confident). Many people try to do this and end up doing both mediocrely. So you do need to be very honest about your capabilities and discipline.

If you cannot realistically commit yourself to this schedule (and do both well), then it may be better to focus on the MCAT this year and then have dedicated time to prepare for an early polished application for the next cycle (2025-2026). Just my thoughts.
My mention regarding Tulane was only in reference to knowing the date of Mardi Gras which can fall anywhere from early February (it was 2/14 this year) to the first week of March. Tulane has scheduled days off for Mardi Gras and the day before so if you didn't know the exact date, Tulane will help you out. The point is that someone who is going to get an offer is likely to have at least one offer by that February/early March timeframe -- earlier than that, one should not fret.

My one concern with the throw away plan is having the time and inclination to write the AMCAS application when one is concurrently prepping for the MCAT.

Please let us know next year how it all worked out for you.

thanks Moko and LizzyM. I helped my friend with his app and essays last year and he did throwaway method. we knocked his primary out in 3 days (12 hrs per day). he got into a T10. I know what it takes for the most part.

I appreciate the help. I'll submit my primary early June and ball out on mcat mid June. I wont be working at my job after april, so I'll be full time doing mcat and application.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

thanks Moko and LizzyM. I helped my friend with his app and essays last year and he did throwaway method. we knocked his primary out in 3 days (12 hrs per day). he got into a T10. I know what it takes for the most part.

I appreciate the help. I'll submit my primary early June and ball out on mcat mid June. I wont be working at my job after april, so I'll be full time doing mcat and application.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Best of luck. I was doing research, preparing my application, and studying for the MCAT at the same time (essentially two full times jobs) and things ended up working out very well for me. However, for every success story, there's many more of people being burned for overestimating their time and/or abilities. Hopefully you will come back with good news to share.

Best of luck. I was doing research, preparing my application, and studying for the MCAT at the same time (essentially two full times jobs) and things ended up working out very well for me. However, for every success story, there's many more of people being burned for overestimating their time and/or abilities. Hopefully you will come back with good news to share.

proud of ya.

yea. I believe in my grind and hopefully god got me.

good news will come back

I agree with @Moko - it is a little tight but that is your decision to make.

Kinda funny, this reminds me of patients who don't want to take your advice as a physician. Kinda like, when a patient comes in with non-specific symptoms but you're worried enough about them that you recommend admission, but the patient doesn't want to be admitted, and they're adamant/confident that they're ok. But you as the physician with your years of experience have seen plenty of patients who go south and with that knowledge, you're reluctant to be thrilled with their plan.

Destroy the MCAT, and give us the good news. That said, I hope you're not the doctor who doesn't at least advise his patients to take caution just because they're super confident in their bodies.

proud of ya.

yea. I believe in my grind and hopefully god got me.

good news will come back
Just do you and execute your application strategy. I think we have said you should be fine. Just don't let your timing concerns become neuroses. Plenty of other unknowns will lie ahead. Go get 'em!

Last edited:
I agree with @Moko - it is a little tight but that is your decision to make.

Kinda funny, this reminds me of patients who don't want to take your advice as a physician. Kinda like, when a patient comes in with non-specific symptoms but you're worried enough about them that you recommend admission, but the patient doesn't want to be admitted, and they're adamant/confident that they're ok. But you as the physician with your years of experience have seen plenty of patients who go south and with that knowledge, you're reluctant to be thrilled with their plan.

Destroy the MCAT, and give us the good news. That said, I hope you're not the doctor who doesn't at least advise his patients to take caution just because they're super confident in their bodies.
i ain't gon cap. that's a lot of mfkin waffling.

not sure what it means. don't care (not in a positive or negative way, literally don't understand what you're saying lol).

i'll make it. I trust in myself

In addition, apps are not reviewed in order of chronological receipt.
Hi, does it vary by school what criteria are used to determine priority of review? Is it commonly based on applicant's statistical strength, or ?

Hi, does it vary by school what criteria are used to determine priority of review? Is it commonly based on applicant's statistical strength, or ?
With the electronic application one can sort and prioritize based on any variable. If I wanted to favor applicants from rural counties in my state, or from specific zip codes, or from specific undergrad institutions, or within a specific gpa/MCAT range (or some or all of the above) and review them first with a weekly "skimming of the cream" and leaving other applicants for later in the cycle, there is nothing that says that I can't make that my admission protocol for selecting applicants for review and possible invitation to interview.

Every school is going to set their own priorities. It might go well beyond "statistical strength" (and this is coming from LizzyM of the infamous score).

With the electronic application one can sort and prioritize based on any variable. If I wanted to favor applicants from rural counties in my state, or from specific zip codes, or from specific undergrad institutions, or within a specific gpa/MCAT range (or some or all of the above) and review them first with a weekly "skimming of the cream" and leaving other applicants for later in the cycle, there is nothing that says that I can't make that my admission protocol for selecting applicants for review and possible invitation to interview.

Every school is going to set their own priorities. It might go well beyond "statistical strength" (and this is coming from LizzyM of the infamous score).
pretty interesting. I wonder how they'll be able to get their URM now without the checkbox. I feel like a ton of apps will fall through the cracks. like imagine scenarios (which we saw with the einstein dean thing) where URMs aren't writing about it.

i'm sure back then, it was easy to just put this filter for the URMs and start dishing out interviews to the high stat ones and go from there.

Thank you! So it sounds like this complements and can work relatively independently of the staircase approach for eventual acceptance decisions. Depending on the school, the order of priority in reviewing applications might or might not align with the eventual staircase step that a candidate is assigned to.

Thank you! So it sounds like this complements and can work relatively independently of the staircase approach for eventual acceptance decisions. Depending on the school, the order of priority in reviewing applications might or might not align with the eventual staircase step that a candidate is assigned to.
absolutely. It could favor students from feeder schools, HBCUs, from specific zip codes that are overwhelmingly minority (e.g. 10037).

absolutely. It could favor students from feeder schools, HBCUs, from specific zip codes that are overwhelmingly minority (e.g. 10037).
gonna need daddy clarence to come in with the fix

• Haha
gonna need daddy clarence to come in with the fix
This does not mean that one is never considered for interview, just that the first applications "out the door" and into the hands of reviewers would be those that the school is prioritizing for the first set of interview dates.

• Love
... uh... Yes? :)

A lottery system also works pretty well.

We also have to do some sorting to exclude conflicts of interest. For example, there's a certain screener who can't stand people who like cheese, so we avoid giving him applications from people who were once cheesemongers before they decided to go pre-med. (Or people from Wisconsin.)

P.S. "Skimming the cream" ... sorry, had to do that.

This does not mean that one is never considered for interview, just that the first applications "out the door" and into the hands of reviewers would be those that the school is prioritizing for the first set of interview dates.

im kinda curious - i do not think it will apply to me as a June 16 tester (and get score back July 16 with throwaway method), but is there a point even for high stat god ec ORM's where they apply so late the school is like "we already took all the high stat god ORM's we need, pce nerd" and you just gave yourself no shot to begin with?

thanks

im kinda curious - i do not think it will apply to me as a June 16 tester (and get score back July 16 with throwaway method), but is there a point even for high stat god ec ORM's where they apply so late the school is like "we already took all the high stat god ORM's we need, pce nerd" and you just gave yourself no shot to begin with?

thanks
No... because offers don't begin rolling out until October. If you're worried about that, our work isn't done until matriculation. Ask all the people currently manifesting offers on waitlists in other threads.

Relax. It's not just about you. Do your part, and trust the process.

• Love
We pace ourselves. If applicants are given a score and those scores are used to rank applicants and slot them for interviews each week or fortnight, it might favor some applicants for an early interview but early is not necessarily better and it doesn't mean you'll never get an interview. Keep in mind that you need not worry about not having any interviews until late November because it takes that long for schools to plow though the application backlog and make interview offers. (Some schools are still inviting applicants for interview in Dec/Jan/Feb).

It may not (often) be the case, but I caution students that schools are under no requirement to wait for a second score, and could triage based on a low first score. As such, I tend to recommend that if a student wants the app reviewed with a new score, they don't add the school via AMCAS until the score is present.
There is no possible way to quantify how much it will affect your app if schools see it June 28 or July 14 (only a 2 week difference).
I feel confident (maybe overly confident) in stating unequivocally that it will not effect your app in any quantifiable way to have it transmitted on June 28th or July 14. It is, definitely, impossible to quantify but I feel like the answer is "the impact rounds to 0".

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
@Goro @Mr.Smile12 how are they reviewed? sorry im just curious as someone considering delaying until July
LizzyM answered in post 36 above. It depends on the school and desired characteristics for the class.

But back in the day before the application management programs (look at posts from over 10 years ago), verified applications would be released to the admissions office every week. It used to be a bunch of FedEx/UPS boxes that we would dive into on a weekly basis and begin checking for completed applications (go to a different list to look up their test scores, for example). The completed applications are then put into a filing cabinet (manila folders, sticky notes or flags) in alphabetical order, and we had different cabinets to help us find files missing specific items vs. those that are complete. We would stamp when the file was touched (whenever we remember), and we'd mail out confirmation of receipt postcards with the date received. Applicants were obsessed in being part of the "first batch"... for us, the "first batch" took us all month as we also received additional batches like clockwork. So even if you submitted first-batch, your file wasn't ruled "complete" for many days/weeks later. We still had to spare time to read applications... usually after normal working hours.

The day we had movers take out the filing cabinets from the work room was joyous.

Last edited:
  • Love