Latest date to rotate through a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is December too late to participate at an away-program to try to increase my chances for an interview?? Some say November is the cutoff. Also, does doing an ICU rotation at a program you're applying for an Anesthesia spot give you a chance to rub elbows with the Anesth attendings, or will they not even have heard of you? What do you guys think? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Crazed said:
Is December too late to participate at an away-program to try to increase my chances for an interview?? Some say November is the cutoff. Also, does doing an ICU rotation at a program you're applying for an Anesthesia spot give you a chance to rub elbows with the Anesth attendings, or will they not even have heard of you? What do you guys think? :confused:

No, I think February is late. Most programs you rotate at will automatically interview you. Even good programs will have people cancel their interviews here and there and a slot may open for you late in the game. Interviews are over in the beginning of february so if you show your face to them before then, you have a chance.

As for the ICU rotation at a place you're interested in, it totally depends on who runs the ICU and which ICU you're talking about. Do a search on here for which hospitals have anesthesia-run SICU's for a good listing. If you find a SICU run by anesthesia, then go for it for sure. You will be rubbing elbows with attendings and residents who will have some say in your application. If you rotate in a SICU and anes. runs the CT-ICU it won't make much of a difference.

On another note, do an ICU rotation. Do 2 if you can. You'll start to think like an anesthesiologist.

Thanks for the invaluable info!! :love: