Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elz787

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so it's my understanding that if you take a certain states' board exam, you can also get licensure in other states as well ......where can I find what states are included under a certain states' exam. ok so this question may not make sense, let me know if i should clarify. I also tried going to the ada website but had no luck. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There you go, Merry Xmas!

Attachments

• licensure_clinical_exams.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 187
Unfortunately, even though that document is from last May, it's out of date. If you want to know what regional boards are for which state, you'll need to go to the website of those boards.

www.wreb.org
www.nerb.org
www.crdts.org
www.srta.org
www.citaexam.org

But even that's not a sure thing. The absolute best way is to contact the board of dentistry in the state you're interested in. Just google state name board of dentistry. Then call them up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where you can practice with WREB! 34 states total! That's sweet!
WREBmap012006.jpg

Thanks guys, so I guess if I go to school at NOVA and wanted to practice in another state I would have to take that states' boards.

I dunno where you got that graphic, but it's not quite right. California (though it should go through soon) doesn't take WREB, nor does Indiana, Illinois and the northeastern states usually require you to take the NERB DSCE (written portion) as well.

But if you're a predent now, I wouldn't let the status of licensure affect where you choose to go to school. All of this is likely to change tremendously by the time you take boards. Hopefully it'll be for the better but who knows.

Blue Tooth said:
I dunno where you got that graphic, but it's not quite right. California (though it should go through soon) doesn't take WREB, nor does Indiana, Illinois and the northeastern states usually require you to take the NERB DSCE (written portion) as well.

Don't know the details, but just passing on the info directly from the source:

http://wreb.org/geninfo/genstateresults.htm

Blue Tooth said:

California DOES accept the WREB, as do Indiana and Illinois, according to the WREB. Like Yah-E said, that info is from the WREB site.

Don't trust what the WREB says. Illinois used to take all boards, not any more. Indiana has always had a state exam, but they just joined NERB and that will go into effect sometime later this year.

Gavin, California DOES NOT accept WREB yet. Go to the dental board of California's website, they explain the situation there. It looks like it's almost certain to go through, but if you were to try and get a license in CA right now with WREB scores you'd be denied.

My main point being, don't listen to the regional boards, or anyone else for that matter. The dental boards of the states are the only ones that count.

Blue Tooth said:
Don't trust what the WREB says. Illinois used to take all boards, not any more. Indiana has always had a state exam, but they just joined NERB and that will go into effect sometime later this year.

Gavin, California DOES NOT accept WREB yet. Go to the dental board of California's website, they explain the situation there. It looks like it's almost certain to go through, but if you were to try and get a license in CA right now with WREB scores you'd be denied.

My main point being, don't listen to the regional boards, or anyone else for that matter. The dental boards of the states are the only ones that count.

OK sorry about hijacking this thread, but couldn't find the original thread asking about licensure in lieu of residency. So aside from NY, any others?? I thought someone on here said CT was changing their policies and what changed with IL (do they stil accept any board exam)??? I know I should consult with each individual state board but I have no time to go thru teleprompts for an hour b/f asking my question! especially b/w 9-5.

Blue Tooth said:

I got a license in the state of Illinois with WREB...don't call and turn me in....