looking for some feedback....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i know there is a lot of debate out there about correlation of Q-bank scores and step 1 performance...i have been working hard for about 3-4 weeks, including my q-bank work, and i am just hoping for some feedback, so i can relax a bit, or really kick it into high gear, if needed. basically, i started with the kaplan center test before i did any studying (begining of summer) and scored around 55%. did a small bit of work, up to about 4 weeks ago...started reading a lot (5-7 hrs daily), bought q-bank a little less than 3 weeks ago...my initial scores were mid 50%, and now i am comfortably in the high 60's low 70's, with the occasional low 60% thrown in...now, i feel like i am in a comfortable passing range, and just a bit off of finishing in the middle of the pack....

so, to those of you out there who have done step 1 after using q-bank, what do you think of my status? am i on track? am i fooling myself? thanks again for the feedback...as i am studying alone in central cali, i don't have much outside support, so i am looking to my peers here online...:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

my qbank scores were similar to yours (overall of 71%), and i was told i would do just fine on the real thing...however i will prob get my scores next week so i will keep you posted.....

neil, it looks like you are in good shape. I think the best indicator is the nbme online assessment. My score (220) correlated much better with those (just under the mean on the second one) than it did with my q bank average (57% overall). I would strongly advise that you take one or both of those. also, try to take notes during it, if you can, because the answers are not given at the end, and you may feel the urge to look up some questions afterwards.

here is the link to the assessment site:

https://external1.nbme.org/nsasweb/servlet/mesa_main

thanks for the feedback...i did take the first assesment, finished a little better than 1 SD below the mean...and that was about 3 weeks ago...so, that made me feel ok about my chances for passing, but i would at least like to beat the mean! preferably crush it, but that seems a pipe dream now...:rolleyes:

any other input? stories of crushing step 1? horror stories? well, maybe i shouldn't hear the horror stories yet...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you will do just fine. both my roommate and i averaged in the low-mid 70s on q-bank; he ended up getting a 257 and i got a 249. i don't know if there is a strong correlation between kaplan scores and the real test but the word around our school when i was studying was that if you could score in the 70s on kaplan, you'd be fine for the exam. i agree with kcrd that the nbme onine questions are probably a better indicator, though. good luck-

bud

well, my scores certainly aren't averaging in the low to mid 70's, but they are going up. i think the last 10 or so blocks have averaged around 68...but i have some time left, and i sure would like a 257 or a 249! thanks for the help, everyone!:clap:

From my experiences and those of my friends, consistently getting upper 70s-low 80s on QBank tests taken just before the exam (not average, because average includes the horrid scores from the beginning of studying) correlated with 240+, or what I would consider crushing the exam.

Everyone I know who got in the lower 70s was very happy with their score. (I think they all beat the mean.)

I know one person who was getting high 50s-low 60s before the exam and didn't pass, though.

Since it seems like only 20% is the difference between a 180 and 250, it is so hard to gauge yourself by QBank! This drove me crazy in the weeks before the exam. Although I guess it helps keep you motivated towards the end, when it's tempting to stop reviewing because you've gone over everything so much.

If I had to guess I'd say you'll safely pass and likely beat the mean. Good luck!

--BBB