MHA Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LHP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2006, I graduated from a military school in the south with a BS in Business Administration. My GPA was pretty bad (2.7). I was immature while I was there and in hindsight I really should have focused on my grades much more. Upon graduation, I worked for a wealth management group as a financial advisor, receiving my Series 7 and Series 66 licenses. After 3 years of this, I decided that I wanted to get more into some sort of "health" related area. I completed an AmeriCorps term working for a number of different organizations (AIDS, Red Cross, Health Fairs, etc). Right now I am studying for the GRE (which i know i need to do well) and looking for internships in the Healthcare field.

My main questions are:

Are there any MHA Programs that may look more favorably on my business experience?

Assuming I do well on the GRE, do I have a shot at getting into one of the top tier schools?

I am going to focus on schools that have an interview process because I believe that I am a pretty good 'salesman' for myself, but on paper I may not be as competitive. Do you know which MHA programs are more focused on interviews?

I would really appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In 2006, I graduated from a military school in the south with a BS in Business Administration. My GPA was pretty bad (2.7). I was immature while I was there and in hindsight I really should have focused on my grades much more. Upon graduation, I worked for a wealth management group as a financial advisor, receiving my Series 7 and Series 66 licenses. After 3 years of this, I decided that I wanted to get more into some sort of "health" related area. I completed an AmeriCorps term working for a number of different organizations (AIDS, Red Cross, Health Fairs, etc). Right now I am studying for the GRE (which i know i need to do well) and looking for internships in the Healthcare field.

My main questions are:

Are there any MHA Programs that may look more favorably on my business experience?

Assuming I do well on the GRE, do I have a shot at getting into one of the top tier schools?

I am going to focus on schools that have an interview process because I believe that I am a pretty good 'salesman' for myself, but on paper I may not be as competitive. Do you know which MHA programs are more focused on interviews?

I would really appreciate any input!

Thanks!

St. Joseph's College of Maine MHA is fairly easy to get into. I was admitted to this without interviews or GMAT/GRE. It's relatively inexpensive. I did not choose to attend, though. All of the for-profit online schools (UPhoenix, Walden, Argosy, etc.) will be glad to take your money too.

If it was me in your shoes, I would go to the highest rated MHA program I could get into (US News World Reports rankings). I would not do online either, I would go for an in class experience. It would be easier to make great future contacts there.

A school with a fancy name can open a lot of doors, trust me.