MME: Clinical experience required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E0001234

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't expect any of the MME to relate to medicine. What have been the most meaningful of the up to 15 items you are able to include in that section?

Reactions: 2 users
I don't expect any of the MME to relate to medicine. What have been the most meaningful of the up to 15 items you are able to include in that section?
Sorry, not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but my three most meaningful are my clinical research, nursing home work, and athletics. The first two are my motivation for medicine (and my PS is built entirely around these two experiences). Will it reflect poorly on me if 1000+ hours of scribing didn't really develop my interest in medicine? I definitely learned a lot about the day-to-day work of a physician and have a more realistic view of a physician's responsibilities (like spending 80% of their time charting), but it didn't do much for me besides that.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no rules from AMCAS that says what activities you "must" have an MME on. Individual schools may express a preference (they should be upfront about that). However, you have many other opportunities to talk about your clinical experiences throughout the secondary essays and interviews so don't get too worked up about this detail.

This type of advice by rumor is likely the same source that says you must have a doctor letter among your LOE's.

Reactions: 2 users
Adding: I would hope your 3000 hours as a student-athlete would be meaningful to you, and to me, it would look weird if you didn't comment on it somehow. But I also acknowledge, it's your application. You gotta do you.

Reactions: 1 user