MSU CHM vs. RFU CMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shesanmd

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
I'm a MI resident currently deciding between these two schools. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

MSU CHM Pros:
- less frequent exams/PBL style
- welcoming environment
- super close to home
- LOVED the interview day
- only 43% stay in MI for residency, so I can hopefully place in Chicago?

MSU CHM Cons:
- not where I want to practice
- not a huge fan of the EL campus (very hard to get into their GR one)

RFU CMS Pros:
- in the city I want to practice in
- stress on inter-professionalism
- seems like a welcoming environment
*** honestly don't know as much about this place/have student connections as I do for MSU

RFU CMS Cons:
- no family/friends near the area
- have read some controversy about the school
- regular lecture/discussion learning pathway

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would help if you provided a pros and cons list, including things such as net cost and whether you have a support system you’d like to stay near.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know some current students at RFU (Chicago native) so if you have any q's for them I can try and field it to them!!

If it’s super close to home, CHM sounds good. That can definitely help with the stress of med school. You can match to Chicago and are already from a nearby state, so it shouldn’t be a challenge especially if you aren’t pursuing a very competitive specialty.

CHM and it’s not really close. RFU doesn’t have its own hospitals or home residencies. IIRC CHM has them at spectrum

Keep in mind RF isn't really in Chicago, it's in a suburb named North Chicago which is not super close (close to an hour drive from the city). That paired with not having its own hospital and having to drive all over for clinical rotations makes me think MSU is the way to go.