NCAA Athletes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicoli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many NCAA athletes out there are applying or gettin ready to attend medical skool. How did you manage the time if you did? I didn't. Grades went to hell.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically my grades also went to hell...I was 3 seasons four years. I did go to graduate school to show I could do the work...but it was amazing some people who interviewed me didn't even pick up that I was a DI athlete all the way through undergrad...they asked why I didn't have more activities as an undergrad????? humm would it be because we had am practice at 6 and pm practice 3-6???? However, enough bitching...the more competitive schools were much more receptive and a couple of people were very supportive (I was captain 2 years...) yeah it was a very hard road...I also did research one semester and fell asleep a couple of times doing cell culture...my mentor was pissed

NCAA DI Runner. 4 years. Grades were so-so, MCAT was so-so. No acceptances. Choose your path carefully...

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in as an ex athlete doing the pre med thing. I played baseball, worked about 12 hours/week, put in my full course load, and I also did my best to volunteer as well. It was very tough, and my grades took a nosedive as well. Then, I got injured most of my last two years of eligibility, which opened up my shedule, so to speak, and it helped a little as far as having time to do some EC stuff. Kind of a blessing in disguise, I suppose. Anyhow, I still had to do the grad school/post bacc route, and doing well so far. It's definitely a longer road for us athletes, trying to fit in a degree, EC's , MCAT prep, and other endeavours, but in the end, it's worth it, so hang in there. Playing sports also helps set you apart from the "pack", and that can only be helpful. Plus, some AdComs are forgiving when it comes to GPA, since they realize the time dedication to your respective sport is such a large one. Well, sorry it was kinda long-winded...

I feel for you guys/gals. Many people just don't understand that most NCAA programs are 20+ hours a week. Many of them are more. I think the only reason that I even considered applying to medical school is that I got hurt the end of my junior year and was forced to curtail my involvement in the team. (I'm a Cali boy, you can guess what I played.)

You guys are amazing!

Unfortunately, I beg to differ. I have been a DI athlete, had pretty good grades/mcat and I am still finding it tough to get in. I have been accepted places, but I dont think adcoms take it easy on you or see past a lower gpa.

Well, if it helps, a 30R and a 3.5 at Penn were not forgiven.

I swam for 2 1/2 years, and I quit to do more volunteering and stuff. Swimming is 20+ hours even during the summers. I have solid GPA and MCATS, and have been accepted to a few places, but alot of schools still dont recognize that I didnt have time to do much else but swim.

I was a varsity athlete at very competitive D3 school where I was in the water for 20-30 hours a week. I maintained a decent GPA for those two years, 3.4-3.6. However, I did quit my last two years and I had two part time jobs and also tutored, volunteered, did research for 15 hours/week. I held a 3.7-3.9 and even got a 4.0 my last semester in college with a RA position and two part-time jobs. I don't think it is necessarily how much time you put into your sport, but how you manage your time when not competing. I know I was always tired after practice, but I had to get my butt to the library after class, after practice, and force myself not to nap or goof off.

I've been accepted to 5 schools and all of them commented on my discipline as an athlete.

I was a Division I athlete at a top-20 program. In addition, I played on junior and senior level National teams while at school. While this was challenging, and hurt my grades at times, I think it is one of the things that make me unique. Because of this, I feel that it has helped me tremendously in this process. I applied to 14 schools, received 9 interview offers and have gotten 4 acceptances so far. My grades were good, but not great (3.61), and my MCAT was average (29). Every interview thus far has been centered around my athletic accomplishments. Of course, I also squeezed in a trivial amount of research and volunteer work, and I took a year off to get a job doing research. All this has helped, but being a very serious athlete is something that has helped me for sure.

I was a gymnast at a D1 school and ended up with decent grades and a 28P on the MCAT. I'm on the 5 year plan so I could take time to travel for interviews without neglecting the sport. I am also finding that athletics has helped in the application process. Being on a team demands time and discipline and schools understand that and definitely take it into consideration. It also gives you as an applicant another dimension and shows you have committment and discipline-and athletics gives lots of opportunities to be a leader, etc. I've been accepted at 2 schools and waiting to hear on my top choice. Use your involvement in sports to your advantage!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by willjmarks:
•NCAA DI Runner. 4 years. Grades were so-so, MCAT was so-so. No acceptances. Choose your path carefully...•••••Ditto! My toughest semester was when I was taking 17 units, travelling and racing my best. It was a very difficult semester.

I also didn't have alot of extracurriculuar activities outside of my sport. I just couldn't find the time, especially since I was a ***** to my classes. I worked my ass off and slept little.

I took the year off after graduation....as in, i didn't study for the mcat right away. THere was no way. I was too burned out. Instead, I did other things and got involved with some cool stuff...After that year, I studied for the mcat, while taking a few classes and doing a few volunteer jobs....again, I burned myself out, but at least I was sure I wanted to go to med school.

ALthough I'll be retaking the mcat in April (1st time around was a little crazy), I think being a NCAA athlete was to our advantage, because we had to learn to be very time-efficient...i.e. finding time to study after a long day of morning practices, afternoon practices, weights and mandatory study hall (only freshmen year, thank god).

Don't worry, there's a place for us out there! SOmewhere..... :clap:

Division 1 Rower in college...I also was amazed at how many interviewers overlooked that part of my application--I thought it was a huge deal that I spent 30 hours/week training plus managed to get good grades, work part time, volunteer, etc. Go figure! I agree that what's important to ad coms is how you spend your "free time" outside of classes and your sport. It doesn't seem like there's much of it, but there's always a few more hours in the week that you can do something else!

yay jocks! i also played d1 sports 4 years.

i found my grades always went up in season, too. maybe it was the 48hour rule or something.

grades better in season... for sure.

DI swimmer, 4 yrs. Good grades, ok MCAT.
In every interview I was asked about being an athlete. I ended up getting accepted to Northwestern, Georgetown, and Univ. of Cincinnati.

D3 rower, but not NCAA although we spend just as much time training as anyone else. Plus have to deal with all the hurdles involved in "club status" grumble grumble. No, I don't have any gripes, can you tell? :) SHOUT OUT TO NINE-SIXTEEN!!! Where do ya row?

Toughest semester had 20 credits with physics II, anatomy and immunology all at the same time. Was definitely not a wise decision and GPA dropped, but still in okay med school range, not spectacular - will probably end up around 3.73. Have managed to do research, but have no volunteering to my name except a bit of tutoring. Am taking the MCAT in April (as a senior) so am not applying to US schools right now, but internationally. I significantly lessened my coursework this sem. to focus on studying for the MCAT. However, time not wisely spent, as 4 am wakeups make me very sleepy :) .

I didn't compete in an NCAA sport. In fact, I LEFT school to compete on the national circuit (bike racing) full-time. Regardless, I think my background as an athlete has been looked on very favorably by ADCOMS. I didn't apply very many places, but have two acceptances. My athletic career came up in all my interviews, always favorably.

I don't think it's athletics specifically that helps, but rather showing that you have diverse interests. For example, it seems like musicians often fare well in the process. They just like to see that you're not a "one trick pony."

Hey girls and guys
I know exactly what you all mean! I am in my 4th year, and the first three years I cheered D1A, we cheered for football, mens and womens basketball, and Nationals! I know some people may think cheering is not hard etc, well maybe in high school, but believe me it's a WHOLE new world in college. And our coaches were crazy every year. When we were getting our nationals routine say on a sat and sun, we would practice 9am-430pm, and then cheer at a double header that night! When does school come in????I think the final straw for me was a practice where we were just tumbling the entire night, and me being a gymnast felt I was wasting my time, so I pulled out my Ev. Bio text and started to study. THEY FLIPPED OUT ON ME, to them cheerelading came first and then school. I don't think people who were not involved in sports realize the time and physical devotion you have to give.
Needless to say I am no longer cheering:))))
On another note I was a level 10 gymnast:) and I am doind gym for my school now a little, but that is just club.
Good luck to everyone and if you can handle that big of a responsibilty and school, I know you probably can handle medical school.(even though I know it must be very difficult)

big huge balls of kudos to all of you for doing intercollegiate sports. You all are not only in better shape physically and mentally, but athletes tend be fun people to hang with and crazy party-people. Besides, athlete chicks are hot AND have better endurance to... study! :D

did intracollegiate sports at my uni (intramurals) in volleyball, soccer, wrestling and also ran/played basketball recreationally. By far, the days that followed those 8am runs were much better than when I slept in til 9am. Something exhilirating (gotta love those endorphins) about a morning run w/ some friends.

I'm glad to hear there are so many athletes out there! I just finished my fourth season as a D1 swimmer. I'll be applying this summer and it TERRIFIES me to hear that some adcoms overlook sports. I practice 4-6 hours a day, all year round and don't have time for much else. I was proud of myself that I could take a tough course load and get good grades while swimming. I have limited volunteer experience and it worries me that it will be looked upon negatively. I sometimes wonder if all the time I spent training could have been put to better use (in terms of looking good on my application). Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait and see.