Need advice regarding gap year: would AdComs view me more favorably if I take this 2nd job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

from_eden

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working 20 hours a week as a medical scribe while also studying to retake MCAT, volunteering, and shadowing. I’m thinking of taking an additional job working 18-20 hrs a week at a grocery store to have more income and also because I feel AdComs might view me unfavorably otherwise.

I’ve heard that having parents who work in healthcare may put me at a disadvantage since it’s seen as having a privileged status (which is understandable, but I do try to work hard and haven’t asked my parents for much help).

I am hoping to submit an application in June. Can taking this 2nd job really benefit my application and show a respectable worth ethic? Or should I focus on volutuneering/ shadowing/ retaking MCAT?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what you have shared, you already have a significant amount of commitments. If you do not need the income, don't work a 2nd job. Many students have to work in order to afford living expenses and application costs. It sounds like you do not have to do that. Helping those less fortunate (such as at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen etc) would help you grow and show that you do not restrict yourself to environments/people you are familiar with.

Reactions: 3 users
I am working 20 hours a week as a medical scribe while also studying to retake MCAT, volunteering, and shadowing. I’m thinking of taking an additional job working 18-20 hrs a week at a grocery store to have more income and also because I feel AdComs might view me unfavorably otherwise.

I’ve heard that having parents who work in healthcare (in my case dentistry/nursing) may put me at a disadvantage since it’s seen as having a privileged status (which is understandable, but I do try to work hard and haven’t asked my parents for much help).

I am hoping to submit an application in June. Can taking this 2nd job really benefit my application and show a respectable worth ethic? Or should I focus on volutuneering/ shadowing/ retaking MCAT?

Thank you
No. Unless you desperately need money, please don't. Coming from experience, I WISH I had the opportunity to study for the MCAT and only work 20 hours a week. Would've saved me from retakes and mcat fees but I had to work multiple jobs to survive.
A second job is even more time away from studying, volunteering, shadowing and self care. That extra work will burn you out sooner than not having the second job. You don't want to risk retaking only for your score to not improve, forget about the second job. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users