Need Help, How will my past affect me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately need some advice. I have always wanted to be a doctor. I have maintained a high gpa and scored very well on my mcat. I have also done much volunteer work with charities and medical establishments. I feel that I am really prepared to attend med school. But unfortunately I have a dismissed felony for possession of marijuana. Although the felony was eventually dismissed after completion of deferred adjudication probation, I plead guilty. I plead guilty because I did not want to take the chance of loosing the case and getting a conviction. So should I disregard med school altogether and not apply? How will this affect my chances of getting in? And if I get in, will I even be able to get licensed? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have any other convictions on your record, you could possibly have a lawyer petition to have those records sealed. I'm not sure of the specifics of that though.... :confused:

mikep said:
I desperately need some advice. I have always wanted to be a doctor. I have maintained a high gpa and scored very well on my mcat. I have also done much volunteer work with charities and medical establishments. I feel that I am really prepared to attend med school. But unfortunately I have a dismissed felony for possession of marijuana. Although the felony was eventually dismissed after completion of deferred adjudication probation, I plead guilty. I plead guilty because I did not want to take the chance of loosing the case and getting a conviction. So should I disregard med school altogether and not apply? How will this affect my chances of getting in? And if I get in, will I even be able to get licensed? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

There is a lesson in all this for everyone out there.

DON'T DO DRUGS!

We can debate all day along about whether pot should be legal or not. That's a very legitimate argument.

But the fact of the matter is that at this point in time, it is ILLEGAL and this is a classic case of how you can ruin your life, or at the very least make it very very difficult for yourself by using drugs. It's just not WORTH IT.

Jenny

Members don't see this ad :)
Jenny speaks the truth.

But.....IIRC most schools don't ask that question on their application and I doub't if any check. Sounds like you've learned your lesson. Your future should be fine. Good luck.

Some schools are doing background checks now though.

JennyW said:

DON'T DO DRUGS!

Jenny

no, the real lesson is not to avoid drugs, but to avoid GETTING CAUGHT! or to leech off friends instead of posessing >:).

i second checking out a lawyer to get those records sealed. but you'll might have to report it, as an ethical thing. if oyu're honest about it, it really shouldn't make too much of a difference. i think amcas only asks for convicted felonies and academic probation.

licensure COULD be an issue since those boards are vitriolic about tracking down bad things from the past. think about that later, first worry about getting in.

g'luck :luck:

JennyW said:

DON'T DO DRUGS!

We can debate all day along about whether pot should be legal or not. That's a very legitimate argument.

But the fact of the matter is that at this point in time, it is ILLEGAL and this is a classic case of how you can ruin your life, or at the very least make it very very difficult for yourself by using drugs. It's just not WORTH IT.

Jenny

All the kid wanted were some suggestions on what to do about his particular situation, not a god damn after-school special

Rzarecta said:
All the kid wanted were some suggestions on what to do about his particular situation, not a god damn after-school special

Sure. I'll give him some advice. Forget about going to medical school.

Sure, you might get in and you might even graduate. But if you have plead guilty to a felony drug offence, good luck getting a DEA number. Good luck being enrolled in any managed care panels.

There's the lesson of your "after school special" for you right there.

Jenny

JennyW said:

Sure, you might get in and you might even graduate. But if you have plead guilty to a felony drug offence, good luck getting a DEA number. Good luck being enrolled in any managed care panels.

Jenny

See, you could've said that his chances are minimal, but you also had to preach about the "evils of drug use." You are an inflexible, judgemental person which are not the greatest skills for a doc. Also, you prolly were the person that every other premed loathed for being a stuffy know-it-all/condescending snob

Rzarecta said:
See, you could've said that his chances are minimal, but you also had to preach about the "evils of drug use." You are an inflexible, judgemental person which are not the greatest skills for a doc. Also, you prolly were the person that every other premed loathed for being a stuffy know-it-all/condescending snob

BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!! Wrong.

I fully support the legalization of marijuana.

I'm not preaching about the evils of drug use. I'm preaching about the evils of engaging in illegal activity. So whether you like it or not, marijuana at this point in time is illegal, and that person should have THOUGHT about that before engaging in it, and everyone else on these boards could probably learn a thing or two from his experience.

Jenny

JennyW said:
BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!! Wrong.

I fully support the legalization of marijuana.

I'm not preaching about the evils of drug use. I'm preaching about the evils of engaging in illegal activity. So whether you like it or not, marijuana at this point in time is illegal, and that person should have THOUGHT about that before engaging in it, and everyone else on these boards could probably learn a thing or two from his experience.

Jenny

right, we can learn that some people live extremely sheltered lives and were raised to belive that if you ever make a mistake you should end up serving up burgers at McDonalds and it's your own damn fault if this happens to you because you're not perfect.

uhhuh said:
right, we can learn that some people live extremely sheltered lives and were raised to belive that if you ever make a mistake you should end up serving up burgers at McDonalds and it's your own damn fault if this happens to you because you're not perfect.

Ummmmm, no. There's a lot of jobs between physician and serving burgers. And no one is saying you need to be perfect. This isn't a cannonization. But it is his own damn fault that he engaged in a felony.

But since when is a felony drug possesion a "mistake?"

Parking tickets are mistakes. Felonies are a little bit more serious than mere "mistakes."

And I really dont' care if that guy, or anyone wants to toke up and get stoned all day long. Be my guest. Just don't be surprised if you engage in a felony and it comes back to haunt you later on in life. People should think about **** like that before they act.

Jenny

true that...

i don't ever speed, have a beer with dinner before driving, or have sex in any other position besides missionary (and no sex before marriage).

actually, some states will easily issue a felony charge for possessing a rather small amount of pot (usually anything more than an ounce is considered a kingpin charge). its not like the guy tried to stab anyone. i think someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
cytoskelement said:
true that...

i don't ever speed, have a beer with dinner before driving, or have sex in any other position besides missionary (and no sex before marriage).

actually, some states will easily issue a felony charge for possessing a rather small amount of pot (usually anything more than an ounce is considered a kingpin charge). its not like the guy tried to stab anyone. i think someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

BZZZZZTT. Wrong again.

I think it's a stupid law, and pot should be legal.

But the fact is that it's NOT. And this person KNEW that when they were possesing it, and they DID IT ANYWAY.

So I'm sorry he's likely ruined his chances of becoming a doctor, but maybe doctors should be held to a bit of a higher standard than the guy who serves you your fries, or the guy who paves your driveway.

Jenny

PS: Speeding, having A beer with dinner, or sex in positions other than the missionary position are not felonies, the last time I checked.

Do you guys want felons as classmates? Do you guys want felons as collegues? Do you guys want felons operating on you, or your loved ones?

I would venture not.

Or maybe you would be OK with just the class E felons.

Felony possession? How much are we talking about here?

Yeah, I can forsee problems with licensing. Not so bad that you were doing pot, God knows that there are a lot of doctors out there doing far worse, and probably one or two would be reading and or interviewing you.. and marijuana is "eh" at best in the grand scheme of all things evil.

The problem is that it's also a felony, which raises all sorts of red flags, though I'm sure if you explained it, then preached about how you were young and stupid and created our own Anti-Drug coalition on campus based off your own experiences, Fonz: heeeeeeey! :thumbup:

I thought simple possession was like a class c misdemeanor? I thought you had to have at least a qp or so to be charged with intent to distribute.

JennyW said:
BZZZZZTT. Wrong again.

But the fact is that it's NOT. And this person KNEW that when they were possesing it, and they DID IT ANYWAY.

So I'm sorry he's likely ruined his chances of becoming a doctor, but maybe doctors should be held to a bit of a higher standard than the guy who serves you your fries, or the guy who paves your driveway.

Jenny

PS: Speeding, having A beer with dinner, or sex in positions other than the missionary position are not felonies, the last time I checked.

Do you guys want felons as classmates? Do you guys want felons as collegues? Do you guys want felons operating on you, or your loved ones?

I would venture not.

You are making several major equivocations in your argument here. First of all, "felon" encompasses a huge range of offenders, from Pablo Escobar to this particular unfortunate pre-med. Granted, you might not want Scott Peterson to be your baby's pediatrician, but can you really argue that this kid's undergraduate misjudgement should lock him out of a career in medicine? Especially when he did just what any number of med students, residents and :eek: attendings have done innumerable times in the past (i.e., smoke pot)? The only difference in this case was that he got caught. If you believe that all doctors should conform to this soi-disant "higher standard," then you mean that all doctors should refrain from pot-smoking, because it's illegal. However, if you ALSO truly believe that the law is unjust (and you must, or you wouldn't think that it should be changed) then you shouldn't hold others beholden to it. So choose a position and stick to it. Remember that history is rife with unjust laws and that the ethical position is actually to DEFY the unjust law. Finally, the "drugs-are-bad-mmkay" condescension is very uncool, not to mention insipid. Are you even in med school yet, Nancy Reagan?

JennyW said:
BZZZZZTT. Wrong again.

Jenny

I would venture not.

How do you expect to be a doc if you are going to be so judgemental and closed minded? You need to do some growing up... and mature a little bit. All he wanted to know were his chances.. he didn't need you to tell him its wrong- he never even mentioned legalization- you did!

Four ounces I think is the minimum for felony possesion, (and it isn't up to the states like an earlier poster said. Felony means federal law. National.)
I thought that DA means that you don't plead either way. Maybe that is just for misdameanors though.
Mike, I feel you and I still think that you would make an excellent doctor. I think that you would probably make a better doctor than alot of these goody goodies.
Regardless of conventional wisdom, you purchased a large amount a marijuana. The outcome this time was negative. However, people who think on their own and don't just follow the herd are pioneers in the fields that they go into. Maybe you'll develop new techniques in medicine.
The science of Chemistry gained popularity in the 18th century because young people enjoyed the pleasures of nitrous oxide. Humphry Davy, the discover of 12 elements, among them potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium strontium, and aluminum was said to draw on the gas three or four times a day. (I can't figure it out yet, but I bet if you could say something about Davy or others in his period in an interview if your arrest comes up.)

Guys, it's really easy to diss Jenny for being judgemental, but she has a point. Look, when we run the world (and we will in 40 years or so), we can legalize pot or whatever else we want to do. As it is, doctors are (for better or for worse) under a pretty significant degree of scrutiny. My guess is, it's quite hard to get your DEA number if you have plead guilty to a felony drug charge.

Now, your lawyer should have advised you of this stuff before you pled guilty. One prime reason not to plead guilty to a felony is that you have a real life in which this will be a problem (e.g., you might imagine that the plea you copped would be a great deal for a guy flipping burgers, but a real problem for an aspiring physician).

The question is, what can you do now. Here are a few suggestions (1) talk to a lawyer to find out what you can do about the record; (2) find out what the deal is on licensing and DEA numbers (the former may vary from state to state). There's just no use in going to medical school if you're not going to be able to practice.

Anka

in many states possesion of over 20g is considered a felony (poss w/ intent to distribute). Yes, the federal mandatory minimums are a little higher. To put this in persepective 20g is well under $100 in just about any state and an amount that it would be reasonable for an individual user to posess (ie would last less than one day/week for some and probably not more than a month for most people - clearly I use the word most very losely).

I'm putting this out there just so you know what we're talking about. I'm not trying to get into whether the law should be the way it is.

I think the point or quesiton of this thread is if someone should be condemmed for the rest of his life/career for doing something that while in no way positive, isn't a far cry from many common mistakes of adolescents. I guess I might see this differently if he was charged w/ a violent or predotorial crime. I would argue that many of us have made mistakes that didn't exemplify the qualities of a physician. However, most of us weren't physicians when we did them. People change and grow up and I find it hard to belive that we should exemplify the qualities of physicians as soon as we come out of the womb. People should be judged on who they've been for the last several years, not on any mistakes ever made.

We might also want to refrain from calling this guy a felon considering he wasn't convicted.

fun8stuff said:
How do you expect to be a doc if you are going to be so judgemental and closed minded? You need to do some growing up... and mature a little bit. All he wanted to know were his chances.. he didn't need you to tell him its wrong- he never even mentioned legalization- you did!

ROFLMAO.

I've been practicing for 11 years. But thanks for the advice. I'll try to keep it in mind. :rolleyes:

Jenny

pikachu said:
Especially when he did just what any number of med students, residents and :eek: attendings have done innumerable times in the past (i.e., smoke pot)? The only difference in this case was that he got caught. If you believe that all doctors should conform to this soi-disant "higher standard," then you mean that all doctors should refrain from pot-smoking, because it's illegal. However, if you ALSO truly believe that the law is unjust (and you must, or you wouldn't think that it should be changed) then you shouldn't hold others beholden to it. So choose a position and stick to it. Remember that history is rife with unjust laws and that the ethical position is actually to DEFY the unjust law. Finally, the "drugs-are-bad-mmkay" condescension is very uncool, not to mention insipid. Are you even in med school yet, Nancy Reagan?

You don't excuse bad behavior and poor choices by pointing to other people who are behaving poorly or who have made poor choices.

And because I think a law is not a good one, does not mean that people should not be beholden to it. If I think the speed limit is too restrictive, and I think it should be 150 MPH, should I just drive 150 MPH? Probably not.

I did not say pot is bad. I said engaging in illegal activity is bad, and could have serious consequences for your future. Particularly if the future you envision for yourself might entail the prescribing of medications and a license to practice medicine.

And I've been practicing for 11 years.

Jenny

I think the BIGGEST problem will be getting loans (aside from the "ethical" debate.) A drug conviction disqualifies you (I think) from getting federal student loans. so that's a big deal.

JennyW said:

Jenny

Jenny gives crappy advise. Ignore her and her annoying buzzing. You probably will have no problem getting into medschool. You MAY have trouble getting your license. I don't know about that. I'd bet Jen doesn't know too much about it either. You need to see a lawer about that one and about getting your records sealed. But even in the worst case if you can't get it here, you'll still be able to get one in a bunch of other english speaking countries. Go for it. But definately see a lawer.

I have tried mj. I didn't like it and I don't use it. But I can tell you there are lots of tokers in my school including many who will be excellent doctors. Quite a few, I know are in possession of a good wadge of the stuff on any given day. It sucks that you were unlucky to be caught and put through the system. I'm glad you've wised up and won't repeat it. If anything this experience will make you a better doctor. You'll understand that good people do dumb things, especially when they're young and will be more tolerant of peoples foibles. Your patients will be more comfortable confiding in you with things they'd generally not tell people about. On the other hand someone as judgemental as Jenny would probably not be someone people will trust easily.

Go see a lawer and give medschool a shot. Forget about the Buzzzing jennys of the world. Good luck. :)

well, this is an interesting thread. I think Jenny has some good points and they are important to consider along with the other issues.

I never thought about the idea of a felony drug situation and its implications for medical school. I think I would also do a little research with a good lawyer and then I might also call up a school (that I didn't think I would apply to ... :rolleyes: ) and then I might float the idea by them.

Recently we had a guy come from our state licensing board to talk to us during our social medicne hour and he mentioned all kinds of things that drs do after they're licensed and how the board will really try and work with them to figure out a way to keep them practicing but also, not doing whatever weird thing they're currently doing that is getting their butts in trouble. He also said, that when it came time to APPLY for our licenses, there are also all kinds of ways to explain things that might look or even be 'bad.' In other words, at least in this state, they really want to work with you.

So a stupid (ok, sorry ... I smoked pot when I was a teenager too ... ) drug charge from over ten years earlier might be acceptable in the proper context. That said, I might even call up a local state licesning board for physicians and ask them right out about this. You don't have to give them your name and usually you can talk to a real person who could guide you. Just be honest and see what happens.

Jesus Christ, you have nothing to worry about. A little Pot never hurt anyone. You know how many doctors out there are perverts and pedophiles? It's not like you were recording kiddie porn right? Just relax, spark up a blunt and apply away.

i think jennyw sounds like a voice of wisdom; i could tell she was older even before she said she had been practicing for 11 years. guys, she has to be about 40, so of course her advice is going to sound like an after-school special- (no offense at all!!)- but it's her 'responsibility' to gently correct the new generation of upcoming physicians. my point is that we should listen to people and not just disregard their advice b/c they're not saying what we want to hear. especially people who have already gone through liscensing, etc. and have to know more about it than the majority of people in this allopathic forum.

phoenixsupra said:
Jenny gives crappy advise. Ignore her and her annoying buzzing. You probably will have no problem getting into medschool. You MAY have trouble getting your license. I don't know about that. I'd bet Jen doesn't know too much about it either. You need to see a lawer about that one and about getting your records sealed. But even in the worst case if you can't get it here, you'll still be able to get one in a bunch of other english speaking countries. Go for it. But definately see a lawer.

Wait a minute...

You are admitting that the person may have trouble getting their license (and will almost certainly have trouble getting a DEA number) and you're telling that person to just go to med school anyways??

Wow. And you say that I give out bad advice.

Jenny

My advice would be to just be honest about it. (Tell the truth if asked on an application or something but don't volunteer that information if not asked.) If it was far in the past, you haven't been in any other trouble, and you have an otherwise strong application, I think there are probably a lot of schools that wouldn't have any problem considering you. In fact one of my classmates told me once that he had a minor drug conviction for possesion.

Regarding licensure, DEA stuff, and federal loans, I have no idea.

All you can do is apply, give it your best shot, and see what happens.

care bear said:
i think jennyw sounds like a voice of wisdom; i could tell she was older even before she said she had been practicing for 11 years. guys, she has to be about 40, so of course her advice is going to sound like an after-school special- (no offense at all!!)- but it's her 'responsibility' to gently correct the new generation of upcoming physicians. my point is that we should listen to people and not just disregard their advice b/c they're not saying what we want to hear. especially people who have already gone through liscensing, etc. and have to know more about it than the majority of people in this allopathic forum.

We have listened. We're just trying to be a tad more positive..... and helpful. ;)

JennyW said:
Wait a minute...

You are admitting that the person may have trouble getting their license (and will almost certainly have trouble getting a DEA number) and you're telling that person to just go to med school anyways??

Wow. And you say that I give out bad advice.

Jenny

Yes, I said he MAY. Or may not. I don't know. Neither do you. That's why I advised him to see a lawer. ;)

BenYossarian said:
I think the BIGGEST problem will be getting loans (aside from the "ethical" debate.) A drug conviction disqualifies you (I think) from getting federal student loans. so that's a big deal.

I completely forgot about that issue. Wow.

I'm not trying to demonize this person. I am not anti pot. Go ahead. Smoke away if you want to.

I do not know about admission to medical school. But just consider that you are all on a career path where you will need a state license AND a federal DEA number AND admission onto many managed care plans once you are done with school, and a drug history is NOT going to make your life any easier and it will ALMOST CERTAINLY slam a lot of doors in your face.

I'm not saying it's right, or that it's fair, but if you want to risk it all for weed, then go right ahead.

And that's the bottom line because JennyW said so. ;)

Jenny

phoenixsupra said:
Yes, I said he MAY. Or may not. I don't know. Neither do you. That's why I advised him to see a lawer. ;)

You said MAY. I'm saying WILL.

Jenny

JennyW said:
You said MAY. I'm saying WILL.

Jenny

Well then you're wrong. :D This is not a certainty. Read Paw's post.

I will back you Jenny in warning people against taking drugs. It's dumb can get you in real trouble. ;)

JennyW said:
I completely forgot about that issue. Wow.

I'm not trying to demonize this person. I am not anti pot. Go ahead. Smoke away if you want to.

I do not know about admission to medical school. But just consider that you are all on a career path where you will need a state license AND a federal DEA number AND admission onto many managed care plans once you are done with school, and a drug history is NOT going to make your life any easier and it will ALMOST CERTAINLY slam a lot of doors in your face.

I'm not saying it's right, or that it's fair, but if you want to risk it all for weed, then go right ahead.

And that's the bottom line because JennyW said so. ;)

Jenny
Hello? Remember that he WASN'T convicted. And since he wasn't, he can still receive financial aid. In any case, he could get cash from private lenders anyway. And Jenny, while I agree with you in being pretty damn careful if you decide to smoke pot, I can't understand how you agree with the pot smoking but condemn those who use/get caught. You say you wouldn't want a convicted pot smoker to be your or a family member's doctor? Remind me why again. If people break an unjust law what exactly makes them less fit as a physician? I think you give good advice, but I can't follow you on that. Also, I'm gonna call the straw man on your 150mph comment too. Breaking the pot law and smoking doesn't hurt others who obey the law. Driving at 150mph when others are driving 65 certainly does.

-Frijolero

DrTex? said:
Four ounces I think is the minimum for felony possesion, (and it isn't up to the states like an earlier poster said. Felony means federal law. National.)

This is actually incorrect. A felony is any crime which carries the possibility of a prison sentence of one year or longer. Sorry to nitpick! :)

This thread in two short pages has made the leap from 'will I have trouble becoming a doctor since I got caught with some pot?" to what I fear will be a disgraceful rant about why optometrists shouldn't give advice to med school students. Lets thrown in some snide DO comments and a dash of anti-AA statements to really get everyone mad and completely off topic! Man, sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own.

beanbean said:
This thread in two short pages has made the leap from 'will I have trouble becoming a doctor since I got caught with some pot?" to what I fear will be a disgraceful rant about why optometrists shouldn't give advice to med school students. Lets thrown in some snide DO comments and a dash of anti-AA statements to really get everyone mad and completely off topic! Man, sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own.
Though it does provide for some great procrastination reading!

JennyW wow, that pedestal you stand on has some serious altitude.

To the OP: I would say that asking advice from this forum is going to get you a lot of speculation. I would call a medical school or two and speak with the dean's office. I would also do as phoenix suggested and speak with a lawyer that specializes in medico-legal issues. There are lawyers that specialisze in DEA issues.

If there is not a LEGAL reason that forbids you from getting a liscence, then you should apply. Kids make mistakes and not all of us knew since we were a fetus that we wanted to be docs.

Get some solid information.

Good luck

pikachu said:
Yo JennyW,

Yes it's true you've been "practicing for 11 years" ... AS AN OPTOMETRIST ...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=156565

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119156&page=4&pp=20

Why don't you keep your self-righteous pap to yourself and stop trying to tell MD's how to manage their own profession? Have you ever had to apply for a DEA license? Or even medical school for that matter?

I never said I was a physician. And I'm not being self righteous. I'm leveling with you.

And this isn't about his ability to get into, or do well in medical school. It's about his ability to get the licensure he will need when he graduates. THAT is going to be a lot more difficult.

I have a state license, and a DEA number, and I'm on a number of managed care plans. That's exactly the same thing that you are all going to be wanting to do, and the fact remains that having a drug history on your record is NOT going to make your life any easier. IN fact, for a physician it's probably going to be a lot worse than it would be for an optometrist. Think about that the next time you decide to "spark up that blunt."

Jenny

JennyW said:
I never said I was a physician. And I'm not being self righteous. I'm leveling with you.

And this isn't about his ability to get into, or do well in medical school. It's about his ability to get the licensure he will need when he graduates. THAT is going to be a lot more difficult.

I have a state license, and a DEA number, and I'm on a number of managed care plans. That's exactly the same thing that you are all going to be wanting to do, and the fact remains that having a drug history on your record is NOT going to make your life any easier. IN fact, for a physician it's probably going to be a lot worse than it would be for an optometrist. Think about that the next time you decide to "spark up that blunt."

Jenny

OMG, You didn't exactly clear it up either. Even when people assumed you meant medicine. Hey, I've been practicing for fifteen years.....trumpet that is :D And BTW that's a lot of weight to throw behind the word 'probably'. Nuff said. :)

Chaz_Beavers said:
Jesus Christ, you have nothing to worry about. A little Pot never hurt anyone. You know how many doctors out there are perverts and pedophiles? It's not like you were recording kiddie porn right? Just relax, spark up a blunt and apply away.

I was just thinking that. I read the BBC everyday, and maybe it's just England, but in about every child porn raid or molestation case there's always a doctor or dentist being busted.

Regardless of our personal opinions, it's not about getting in to med school here. It's about getting a DEA number. Personally, I wouldn't want to bust my rear for 8 years, only to be denied the liscence to prescribe drugs. I don't know about you, but I think it would make practicing medicine pretty near impossible.

I smell some pot users out there!
While the OP's situation is unfortunate, our laws and regulations are in place for a reason. With the sheer numbers that go through our legal system, it would be nice to evaluate each case individually, and say, well he's a nice guy, not like those other felons, so we'll give him a break, but in reality that isn't possible. The line must be drawn somewhere. If you don't like it, do something about it, don't just whine.
Jenny makes a good point, if you don't want to end up in OP's shoes, don't do drugs. She's not being judgemental, just giving mature advice.
I like pot too, but I would never, ever, do it now, because an evening of enjoyment is not worth risking my career. I think the same priniciple applies to lots of risk taking behaviors. Actions have consequences, and some of the REALLY suck, but as doctors, we're supposed to be able to make sound decisions that affect the lives of others, we should be able to do the same thing for ourselves.

ph_wudoc said:
I smell some pot users out there!
While the OP's situation is unfortunate, our laws and regulations are in place for a reason. With the sheer numbers that go through our legal system, it would be nice to evaluate each case individually, and say, well he's a nice guy, not like those other felons, so we'll give him a break, but in reality that isn't possible. The line must be drawn somewhere. If you don't like it, do something about it, don't just whine.
Jenny makes a good point, if you don't want to end up in OP's shoes, don't do drugs. She's not being judgemental, just giving mature advice.
I like pot too, but I would never, ever, do it now, because an evening of enjoyment is not worth risking my career. I think the same priniciple applies to lots of risk taking behaviors. Actions have consequences, and some of the REALLY suck, but as doctors, we're supposed to be able to make sound decisions that affect the lives of others, we should be able to do the same thing for ourselves.

Eh, I think the OP got into those activities long before he decided on medicine and has gotten his act together since then. Just like you. ;) And you don't have to be a pot smoker to be a forgiving person. :)

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/823.htm

All the info you need is right here. Violators of state and federal law and prior conviction record are both grounds for denial of a DEA number... which is federal by the way, so uniform in each state. You are issued a state number because you are not allowed to practice in every state without seperate application because of drug trafficking concerns.

I don't care what kind of degree Jenny has, she's right on this one. Did any of the rest of you care to look it up, or do you just like to bash anyone not in your field?

ph_wudoc said:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/823.htm

All the info you need is right here. Violators of state and federal law and prior conviction record are both grounds for denial of a DEA number... which is federal by the way, so uniform in each state. You are issued a state number because you are not allowed to practice in every state without seperate application because of drug trafficking concerns.

I don't care what kind of degree Jenny has, she's right on this one. Did any of the rest of you care to look it up, or do you just like to bash anyone not in your field?

Relax a bit. The law is more than a set of books. Sure, these are "grounds" for denial. But consideration is given to each case. And exceptions are made. Re-read paws post. BTW you won't find mention of plea-bargaining in any legislation but if you think it's not part of "the law" then you're dreaming. And no one cares what jen's profession is. It just doesn't say anything positive about her that she didn't set the record straight even after poeple were referring to her as a seasoned physician. Highly ironic, hardline moralizing and shameless dishonesty in the same post. :laugh: