Need help on when to take Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really confused and could use some help from you guys! I am currently a 3rd year at a US medical school (latter half of top 50) that is interested in applying for an Internal Medicine residency next year. My score on Step 1 was 204 and I have gotten mostly Passes for my clinical clerkships this year. My shelf exam scores have been about average.

I am considering taking Step 2 CK early in 4th year in the hopes that a better score might improve my overall application. However, I don’t know exactly when I should take it. Would it be better to take it right away in July so that the results would be available when programs decide on interviews? Or, would it be better to wait until say mid-October, when I would have completed my sub-I and the results still might be able to impact ranking decisions later on? What about not releasing scores? What programs would I have a decent shot at with my Step 1 score alone, say in the northeast and mid-Atlantic areas?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about IM programs, but as a rule of thumb I would suggest that anyone with a low step 1 score (<220), study like crazy and take the exam 3-4 weeks after you finish 3rd year. Step 2 covers 3rd year material, and your IM subI won't help much (if at all) as far as content. Most people do the same or better on step 2, and you've got potential for improvement. Best of luck.

I would take step 2 early, as you want the programs to see your score when they're deciding on interview invitations. You might want to take July to study for it and do a great job on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree- 2 weeks of study post 3rd year and you are golden. The military made me take it prior to Sept 15, and I was totally bummed out. It feels so good to get it over with early though, and you are likely to do better. Hope this helps.

If you specifically want to put it on your ERAS application the first time around, take it as soon after M3 as you can, or rather, as soon as you are done with your core rotations. I think it's important to have done all your cores, except possibly psych. I somewhat specifically waited until October of M4 so I would have finished psych, but I think you can refresh psych from what text you choose for studying, and that atleast at my school our M2 psych course is a fine background for Step 2. I don't think your sub-I's will matter that much for the exam. You are pretty much your smartest at the end of M3, or atleast the most well-rounded before you start purging the stuff not related to your specialty.