Need Opinion on NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYMC students or anybody who knows someone who goes there, what is your opinion on your school? I have heard that the facilities really leave something to be desired, but other than that, how is the faculty, administration, program, students, and student life?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

The one thing I have heard is that the students are extremely competitive. Perhaps not quite as bad as Albert Einstein but close.

As with every med school, I've heard both good things and bad things. My own opinion is that NYMC isn't much of a research-oriented school, so if that's what you're into, I don't think you'll be too satisfied at NYMC. Other than that, the clinical campus in Manhattan is situated at one of the busier hospitals in the area (St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center). I have friends there. Some love it and some hate it.

There is also an incredibly high number of Californians there, which I'm not a big fan of (I hate 'em)!
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

I am a graduate of NYMC. While the school is not research oriented, it does an excellent job of training you. The USMLE board pass rates are higher than the national average. You have numerous diverse clinical hosptial sites throughout New York state including several in New York City, and CT. I was well prepared for my residency.
On campus housing is great. While you live in the suburbs, you are close enough to drive to the city.
While I cannot speak for the current students, when I was there, competiton was minimal.
The major drawback, as with most private medical schools, is cost.