Net Worth at age 55

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you anticipate your net worth will be by age 55?

• Less than 2 million

Votes: 20 7.0%
  • 2-4 million

Votes: 64 22.3%
  • 4-6 million

Votes: 79 27.5%
  • 6-8 million

Votes: 54 18.8%
  • 8-10 million

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • More than 10 million

Votes: 48 16.7%

• Total voters
Biden is making you guys a lot of money.

Stock market is going to the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been 90% stocks for the past decade.
I think it’s time to go back to 60/40.

New report this month

After taxes and transfers, the top income quintile actually did better than the bottom quintile comparing 2019 to 2023 purchasing power. All quintiles are still better off.

• For households in the lowest income quintile, CBO estimates, the share of their adjusted income after transfers and taxes required to purchase their 2019 consumption bundle decreased by 2.0 percent; and
  • For households in the top income quintile, that share declined by 6.3 percent, the largest decline of any quintile.

Change Since 2019 in the Share of Household Income Required to Purchase a 2019 Consumption Bundle, by Income Quintile
60166-fig1_change_share_income.png

Last edited:
New report this month

After taxes and transfers, the top income quintile actually did better than the bottom quintile comparing 2019 to 2023 purchasing power. All quintiles are still better off.

• For households in the lowest income quintile, CBO estimates, the share of their adjusted income after transfers and taxes required to purchase their 2019 consumption bundle decreased by 2.0 percent; and
  • For households in the top income quintile, that share declined by 6.3 percent, the largest decline of any quintile.

Change Since 2019 in the Share of Household Income Required to Purchase a 2019 Consumption Bundle, by Income Quintile
View attachment 386912
I guess everyone got something in the money printing scheme.

You could also diversify internationally into stocks that haven’t run up so much recently.
Emerging/international markets have been the worst performers in my portfolio over a 15+ year period. So glad my allocation is very low. I probably have 2% or less in them and have not bought any in probably 10 years.

It is common to have a bigger allocation, but just can’t get behind it. If you “diversified” into international stocks/emerging markets vs US equities over the past 15 years, you missed out

I have “some” emerging market etf’s, but very little.

Just my opinion.

I like this chart. Looks at US mid and large cap vs Developed international markets.

Basically, a divergence since the financial crisis in 2008.

IMG_9059.jpeg

Emerging/international markets have been the worst performers in my portfolio over a 15+ year period. So glad my allocation is very low. I probably have 2% or less in them and have not bought any in probably 10 years.

It is common to have a bigger allocation, but just can’t get behind it. If you “diversified” into international stocks/emerging markets vs US equities over the past 15 years, you missed out

I have “some” emerging market etf’s, but very little.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, no question US stocks have done better in the recent past. I replace the bond portion of my portfolio with international stocks so the comparison from my perspective is international stocks vs US bonds rather than international stocks vs US stocks. In that case, international stocks have outperformed US bonds. 🤷‍♂️

5 year annualized returns:
VTWAX 11%
VBMFX 0.1%

(I know VTWAX has a fair amount of US stock exposure.)

Last edited:
International and particularly emerging markets have underperformed US for more than a decade. As someone who is 50-50 US/International- I feel like the knight in Indiana Jones and the last crusade.- Waiting a LONG time.

• Care
Interestingly, spending some time traveling Japan, and Tokyo has blown me away.

For a city that is almost twice the size of NYC it is impeccably clean, has huge infrastructure and is extremely modernized. It’s also the 3rd largest economy in the world. I can understand the allure of investing in a country like this.

The tokyo skyline at night and during the day is absolutely breath taking.

Few pics from the four seasons at night and the imperial gardens. I can’t stress enough how clean this country is.

IMG_8847.jpeg
IMG_8778.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
International and particularly emerging markets have underperformed US for more than a decade. As someone who is 50-50 US/International- I feel like the knight in Indiana Jones and the last crusade.- Waiting a LONG time.
Completely get this.

Interestingly, spending some time traveling Japan, and Tokyo has blown me away.

For a city that is almost twice the size of NYC it is impeccably clean, has huge infrastructure and is extremely modernized. It’s also the 3rd largest economy in the world. I can understand the allure of investing in a country like this.

The tokyo skyline at night and during the day is absolutely breath taking.

Few pics from the four seasons at night and the imperial gardens. I can’t stress enough how clean this country is.

View attachment 386923View attachment 386924
Japan is so amazing and so affordable now. I still remember when going there meant spending $20 for a can of Pepsi.

Reactions: 2 users
Japan is so amazing and so affordable now. I still remember when going there meant spending $20 for a can of Pepsi.
I have not studied Japans economy. $20 for pepsi is crazy!!! $1.5 dollars currently. Very affordable. We went to one of the Michelin Star ramen locations in Tokyo and it costs us $10 per bowl. Extremely affordable.

I have not studied Japans economy. $20 for pepsi is crazy!!! $1.5 dollars currently. Very affordable. We went to one of the Michelin Star ramen locations in Tokyo and it costs us $10 per bowl. Extremely affordable.
The yen is at a multiyear low against the dollar.

Who else hates new sh**?
New electronic charting. New job. New chairman with all new sh** to learn. New phone with all new sh** to learn etc etc

Now TDAmeritrade has to go to Schwab instead of vice versa and pretty much nothing looks similar on the sites and all new sh** to learn again. Like most anesthesiologists I get dialed in on the technology and have my "system" finely tuned like a Swiss watch and don't like it blown up back to square 1.

Stop throwing a monkey in the wrench and screwing up the works!!