NHSC Scholarship Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharon Lee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any DO students out there on a NHSC Scholarship???

I am applying for the scholarship for next year and I just had a couple questions...with the scholarship are you still eligible for a Stafford loan to pay for what the scholarship doesn't like housing, transportation, etc.? What is the going rate of the monthly stipend? I was informed that applications come out at the beginning of next year, what is the timeline from application, to interview, to acceptance? Where are interviews held?

Thank you for any information you can give!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sharon Lee said:
Any DO students out there on a NHSC Scholarship???

I am applying for the scholarship for next year and I just had a couple questions...with the scholarship are you still eligible for a Stafford loan to pay for what the scholarship doesn't like housing, transportation, etc.? What is the going rate of the monthly stipend? I was informed that applications come out at the beginning of next year, what is the timeline from application, to interview, to acceptance? Where are interviews held?

Thank you for any information you can give!!!
I was under the impression that NHSC was something you apply for after residency. Am I mistaken?

NHSC does have a loan repayment plan as well as a scholarship program. Loan repayment is afterwards, scholarship is before hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year DO student and am the reciepent of the 4 year scholarship. Applications for the NHSC are due in mid to late March, interviews are May through July (dependent upon geographical location) and decision are sent out Aug. through Sept. We don't get our scholarship money until after we've started school so you will need to fill out the FAFSA and get loans. After you are informed of your status you can return whatever you don't need (so depending on your circumstances you may need additional loans). The scholarship stipend is about $1000 a month, a few dollars more I think (I haven't received the money yet). We have to pay taxes on the stipend so you end up with about $10,000 a year. It's a great program, just make sure primary care is what you want to do.

About the loan repayment program, it is what the NHSC get most funding for, not the scholarship program. I think in the loan repayment program, you can get up to $75000 paid off, also most of the loan repayment sites do not need to be as underserved as sites for scholars, i.e. more options in places like Los Angeles and San Francisco.

If you have any other questions let me know.

How competitive is the scholarship? When did you receive the application? I called for one, but they haven't sent it to me yet.

isnt this like sorta joining the military, you will be a commisioned officer. :confused:

cooldreams said:
isnt this like sorta joining the military, you will be a commisioned officer. :confused:

No, not at all. Much more freedom in NHSC. You are just a regular primary care doc, working in an area the government calls underserved. You pick the place, no uniforms, no exercise regimen, no moving from place to place. Not the same at all. You are not an officer in or of anything.

iatrosB said:
No, not at all. Much more freedom in NHSC. You are just a regular primary care doc, working in an area the government calls underserved. You pick the place, no uniforms, no exercise regimen, no moving from place to place. Not the same at all. You are not an officer in or of anything.

ohhh... i was looking at the ready responders thing. hmmm.... sooo how competitive is it?? :D

cooldreams said:
ohhh... i was looking at the ready responders thing. hmmm.... sooo how competitive is it?? :D

Good question :laugh:

The scholarship is pretty competitive, I don't remember the exact number they are posted somewhere here but I don't remember. It's definitely more competitive than getting into med school. The application does not take and academic or financial info into account. It is based on this pyscological questionaire you fill out and the interview.

premedmijo said:
THe scholarship is pretty competitive, I don't remember the exact number they are posted somewhere here but I don't remember. It's definitely more competitive than getting into med school. The application does not take and academic or financial info into account. It is based on this pyscological question you fill out and the interview.

hmmm well, im a psycho... so ill fit right in right?? :laugh:

Hey there,

When I interviewed 3 years ago, they said they accept 1 in 10. So it's pretty tough. After paying taxes, I end up with around $16K per year (you get a big check in Nov to cover incidentals). Best wishes to you!

andrea said:
you get a big check in Nov to cover incidentals

Yes you do, I just got the statement :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard the one in ten thing too...it's been over a year since our meeting so i don't remember too well. The scholarship is competitive as it should be. You are a huge investment to the nhsc as a scholar. You will get $1100/mo and a check in nov. for what your school requires for the year (books, health insurance, equipment, etc...) for me, that totals about $49K a year (almost $200K total).
I got my app in early (it's an odd application, all fill in the bubble answers repeated over and over...), interviewed in June and found out the week school started (sept). I'd let your FA office know that you are waiting to hear from the NHSC...(I was worried about sending the loan money back, but it was simple and i didn't have to pay anything)
as far as the commissioned thing, my understanding is that you may become an officer, but it is up to you...

BklynWill said:

wow:

16: What if I change my mind about going into primary care after I have accepted the scholarship or while in residency?

A: Accepting an NHSC scholarship is a serious commitment. If, after graduation, you enter training that is not approved by the Scholarship Program, or you otherwise fail to comply with your contract, you will be liable for financial damages equal to 3 times the amount of your scholarship plus interest.

cooldreams said:
wow:

16: What if I change my mind about going into primary care after I have accepted the scholarship or while in residency?

A: Accepting an NHSC scholarship is a serious commitment. If, after graduation, you enter training that is not approved by the Scholarship Program, or you otherwise fail to comply with your contract, you will be liable for financial damages equal to 3 times the amount of your scholarship plus interest.

Yeah, don't mess around with the scholarship man. Be set on primary care.

yea, they'll get their money back:) really that's a $400K loss for them, you using the money and then not fulfilling your end PLUS they lose out on someone else who would have gone through with the commitment...
if you know primary care is you thing...you really can't beat it! I'll have no debt from school which means, other than uncle sam, i keep every dime i make as a doc...school loans over 30 years add up to A LOT more than $200k!!!

(disclaimer: i'm still at the receiving end of the deal:):):))

I have a question for those who are already on the NHSC scholarship, through with it, or know somebody in either of those situations. What other benefits do you receive besides tuition, books, fee, and stipend? I've heard others mention trips to conferences and things such as that.

Does anyone have some in-depth/personal information regarding the loan repayment options through the NHSC? From what I've read, that option isn't as competitive, but how does it work? :confused:

Does anyone have some in-depth/personal information regarding the loan repayment options through the NHSC? From what I've read, that option isn't as competitive, but how does it work? :confused:

How about the placement after residency? How much choice do you have in that? Is is pretty likely that you will end up practicing medicine on an indian reservation in the middle of north dakota for 4 years?

I'm going to apply to both the NHSC and the HPSP Army program. My first choice is the NHSC program, because I want to be a primary care physician anyway. The only problem is that you don't find out if you have been accepted until school starts. The Army will tell you if you've been accepted just about right away. Either way I've had bad experiences with undergrad loans and I dont want to barrow anymore money. I'm not sure what to do, any input?

Western University Class of 2009