***\ Northwestern University Feinberg SOM Class of 2011!!! /***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will try my best to go thru each specialty on the match list and explain why things are the way they are. Furthermore, I think it should be highlighted that Northwestern has one of the better internal medicine programs in the nation. I would argue that UofC and Northwestern are on par with each other in the city of Chicago; both being world-class. Northwestern IS a more prestigious institution so why leave? Also, Chicago is a GREAT city. Many people have chosen to stay here on their own accord. People bring up places like Vandy...well...shoot, would YOU want to stay in tennessee? Also keep in mind...as a premed, its tough to tell which are the respectable/great programs in a given specialty. It is no longer based on whether or not it is affiliated with Harvard when you get to the residency level.

Internal Medicine

Actually, the numbers of kids from northwestern going into internal medicine was down for my class. The reason, being was that they worked my class real hard on IM. We learned a lot but also got pushed very very hard(in terms of hours worked...you would be surprised how that can shade students into going or not going into a specialty). Do not worry though, we bitched and moaned and the current 3rd year class is having a much, much easier time(and probably still learning as much as my class)

First, lets talk about who DID NOT match at northwestern. Notice, there are 2 kids going to UCSF. While UCSF is not east coast, it is the hopkins/mass general of the west coast. Frankly, I think San Francisco is a better city than Boston. However, the point being, those 2 kids could have easily went to Boston should they have chosen to do so. Then, there is Susan Pasnick, who did indeed choose to go to Harvard(Brigham and Women's). We also had one guy go to Cornell. This guy interviewed at all the best west coast AND east coast programs. Ultimately he ranked cornell as his highest east coast program because it was a very cush/respected program and he liked it the best(yes, even over mass general...gasp). Baylor has an excellent IM program, we sent 2 there. The rest are at great places(albeit not mass gen level, but very good nevertheless).

As for all the kids who matched at Northwestern for IM, again northwestern's IM program is world-class. With that said, 90% of the people who stayed at Northwestern were fully capable of going to Boston(or anywhere else for that matter). They had both the board scores and the grades and the charisma to go wherever they wanted. Some of them have family here and chose to stay. There were several who interviewed at the Boston programs but ultimately decided that it was not worth the move to Boston. I actually disagree with one of them who applied to mass gen for "poops and giggles." This person went to the interview for "poops and giggles" without any real intention of ranking mass gen in their top 3(i think that sucks for other applicants who really want to go there, but thats just me). The point being, most of the ones that chose to stay at northwestern could also go anywhere in the nation as well.

Pediatrics

Well, realize that we rotate thru Children's Memorial Hospital. CMH is one of the best children's hospitals in the country. So a lot of people chose to stay because of that. In fact, the people who ended up at UofC likely ranked CMH higher. The problem, CMH has this rule that they only take like 3 northwestern kids every year. In fact, this year our students were so good, they took more than the typical 3.

OB/Gyn

This is my specialty. Prentice Women's hospital is one of the best OB/Gyn programs in the nation. The girl who matched into it, could have gone anywhere in the nation. She did indeed check out the Boston programs as well as UNC and the other top tier OB programs, but she is from chicago, AND our OB/gyn program is is one of the best. (no lie) go through the faculty, all of the heads have pages and pages of publications. The rest all matched at great OB programs. UCSF, Wash U. The guy going to yale is interested in Gyn-Onc and Yale has one of the best gyn-onc programs.

Prelim and transitional years are BS. Don't even look at those lists. People pick based on where they will have the most "chill" year.

Psychiatry
We sent kids into two of the top psych programs in the nation(NYU and columbia). Actually, steph was so great a student, she would have matched well in any specialty she chose. Word on the street, is that the New York programs are the best. Theres a lot of crazies there!

Emergency Medicine
Hmm...I dont know aything about the competitiveness of the EM places other than cook county is great. I do know, that we usually send a steady stream of people to cook County(THE buesiest ER in the nation and the basis for tv's ER). This year we only sent 1, but the year before we sent like 3.

Orthopedics
These guys matched really well. Many of them stayed at Northwestern because its a good program. The ones that did not stay went to better programs. UWash is generally thought of as one of the best ortho progs in the nation, if not the best. HSS is also top tier, but very few people know about it outside of ortho because again, it does not have harvard or anything attached to its name.

General Surgery
This was probably our weakest specialty this year. They did not match at bad programs. However, admittedly, none of these places are Mass gen. Joe phillips probably could have gone to one of those places, however, he has family in chicago and is married so he chose to stay in the city.

Radiology
We have the best radiology program in the city(one can argue that UofC is on par with us). U maryland is also one of the best rads progs in the nation. Butler, interviewed all over the place and eventually decided on UTSW(another top tier rads program). He has family in texas.

I am tired of typing...I will talk about the other specialties later. I will also talk about those that did not match, and why they did not match.

In any case...I think our match list is great this year. Keep in mind, the quality of a school lies in whether it can take you where you want to go. Do not judge our list based on whether we have X amount of mass gen matches. Because I would argue that this year we had quite a few people want to stay in chicago. Many of those people could have, had they wanted to, go to hopkins, mass gen, etc. Nevertheless, our school provides that opportunity.

I shall write about the other specialties later. whew!

Members don't see this ad.

Internal Medicine

Actually, the numbers of kids from northwestern going into internal medicine was down for my class. The reason, being was that they worked my class real hard on IM. We learned a lot but also got pushed very very hard(in terms of hours worked...you would be surprised how that can shade students into going or not going into a specialty). Do not worry though, we bitched and moaned and the current 3rd year class is having a much, much easier time(and probably still learning as much as my class)

And they're making medicine even less work next year for us second years. I am very happy about it :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I will try my best to go thru each specialty on the match list and explain why things are the way they are.

wow, thanks UCLAMAN. :thumbup:
Yeah, prelim and trans yr are definitely something i had a hard time comprehending. i thought they were part of the requirements for a certain program or maybe even a last resort from "The scramble" or unmatch.

Hi all-
Didn't make it to second look as I live on the east coast. I have a few questions:

1) Did they say anything about demographics of the class (how many from the 8yr program, male/female ratio, ages?)

2) Housing - for anyone looking for roomates (probably me), will they set up a housing board?

3) Is there a computer/laptop requirement? I saw they had $3000 down for this in their budget. Seems steep.

Thanks!

UCLA Man,

I know the first two years are pass fail. Do they rank students based on tests anyway, even though it's pass fail? I've heard of this at other schools.

If not, how do they determine AOA status?

UCLA Man,

I know the first two years are pass fail. Do they rank students based on tests anyway, even though it's pass fail? I've heard of this at other schools.

If not, how do they determine AOA status?

I have very little experience with AOA(since i was not). However, it is my understanding that AOA status is a point system method. The first 2 years, one can obtain one point for being near the top of the class and another point for being at the top of the class after 2nd year. Furthermore, you need to have been nominated for AOA status by faculty. The bulk of the points are obtained during 3rd and 4th year. Theres like a dozen or so more points you can obtain during your 3rd year during each of your rotations. At the end, everyone who was nominated for AOA by faculty gets their points added up, if you have a certain number of points you are AOA.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as I am not completely positive about the system.

Nevertheless, the school does indeed rank you based on your first and 2nd year tests. But the final class ranking only comes out at the end, and only in combination with your 3rd year clerkship grades to determine which quartile of the class you are in. You are never told your absolute ranking in the class. So lets say you are 3rd quartile...you could be at the top of the 3rd quartile or you could be at the bottom. All you know is that you are 3rd quartile on the dean's letter.

Regardless, personally, I think it is stupid to obsess about AOA crap once you are in medical school because in medical school you will be trying your hardest all the time, right? This is why you got into medical school, let alone northwestern; because you worked hard all the time. Just do your best all the time. If you end up being AOA, wonderful. If not, it is certainly not necessary to achieve AOA to match into great specialties and great residency programs. Always bear that in mind.

wow, thanks UCLAMAN. :thumbup:
Yeah, prelim and trans yr are definitely something i had a hard time comprehending. i thought they were part of the requirements for a certain program or maybe even a last resort from "The scramble" or unmatch.

prelim and transitional years are required in certain specialties(like radiology or ophthalmology etc.). Basicaly its a year of internal medicine. Transitional years are more difficult to achieve than some regular categorical specialties because everyone tries for transitional years because they have like 2 months less inpatient floor medicine or something like that when compared to prelim years. Most everyone can get a prelim year.

One should never use prelim or transitional years as an indeicator of anything because, as you will see when you all are 4th years, people strive to match into the most relaxed/chill/do nothing prelim/transitional year they can find. They want to do the least amount of work as an intern. And frankly, if you are going into ophthalmology, how much do you really need to know about how to manage heart failure?

ok...as far as the rest of the specialties on the match list...gimme a sec...i am gonna eat lunch before i finish that bad boy off.

A couple peple have asked about computers/laptops. When I was coming in there was not a requirenment to buy a computer or laptop of a specific make or model. You obviously need a computer of some kind, but you do not have to have a laptop, nor does it need to be fancy. Lots of people (probably 60%) do have laptops, but they are of a wide variety: everything from new macs and tablets to that old dell they got before freshman year of college. As far as the $3000 budget thing on the fin aid form, I was confused about that too, but as far as I can tell that is just a built-in amount in case you need to go buy a new computer. I did not, so I did not take that money when the time came. Hope this helps.

Ok...where the hell did I leave off?

Family Practice

I do not know too much about family practice programs. I do know, however, that prior to my class, people who were interested in FP had a tough time getting advising. It is my understanding that this has changed, and now it is much easier to get support from the FP department. I think it has helped to increase the number of students we have going into FP. Note the 4 kids who matched into FP in california. Realize that those are excellent programs. Many people assume that just because it is FP, that it is a specialty filled with foreign medical grads. However, now you must understand that California has the most strict laws barring foreign medical grads/caribbean grads from practicing there. For a foregn medical grad/carib grad(with the exception of ross and st george's i believe) to practice in Cali, they need a special california letter from the medical board there granting them permission to train there. Consequently, even the FP programs in cali are essentially US grad vs. US grad fighting for those spots; in other words fairly competitive because all the people who left cali for medical school elsewhere are also trying to get back.

Urology

We did well here. Everyone that wanted to go into Urology matched. Urology is a fairly competitive specialty. Furthermore, not all of these kids were AOA. Actually, now that I think about it, I am not sure if any of these kids are AOA. (if any of you guys read this, and are indeed AOA, my apologies) Kasturi did an excellent job and matched at his number 1(UPenn). Patil is a cool guy and, despite not being from California, matched into USC(an awesome program). This is great for him because he has an inside track on the LosAngeles market once he finishes. Dupree probably could have gone anywhere he wanted. However, he is from chicago and wanted to stay. The rest all matched at great places, albeit not Cleveland Clinic or Hopkins(although case does rotate with the cleveland clinic program i believe). Do not rely on usnews rankings for this specialty(and others as well). It does not give a school's reputation in the field. That only comes from word of mouth. Also, remember, ALL urology programs are good because there are so few of them. Only 2/3rds of all applicants match each year.

Ophthalmology

Again, everyone who wanted to go into Ophtho matched into it. Tannir is from Michigan and so he wanted to go to Detroit. Zatz and Dragovic both interviewed at some of the top places I think. I dont know how they ranked their lists though. Nevertheless, Ophtho is another one of those specialties where only like half of the applicants actually match. So ALL ophtho progs are badass to a certain degree.

Anesthesia
Northwestern has an excellent anesthesia program because our residents have tons of exposure in ALL the specialties(including OB). We are one of the few hospitals in the nation doing combined-spinal epidural blocks for laboring moms(most people are just doing regular epidurals). The program has several anesthesia fellowships(they are just starting the new cardiac fellowship this june as well). In any event, the point being, I do not blame our students for wanting to stay here. Our anesthesia program is one of the best. Of course, Columbia and UCLA are excellent programs as well. And Loma Linda(while it gets a bad rap for its religious overtones) offers great training AND it is in california.

Neurology
The highlight is the Columbia match. Presbyterian is one of the best neuro progs in the nation. And yeah...you can go to USNews if you'd like.

Otolaryngology
There was 1 person who failed to match into ENT this year. However, it was not because he was not qualified, or that he did not have the support. It was because he applied in a couples match. For future reference, if you want to go into a competitive specialty, being single around match time is to your advantage. Once you enter the couples match, it REALLY becoms a crapshoot. ENT is very competitive without couples matching. I can't imagine attempting it with couples matching. In any event, Alice Lin is very lucky. Northwestern is like the grandfather of audiology research in the US. They have a rich history in bringin the field to where it is today. In fact, there is one researcher right now working on digital cochlear implants. None of this BS analog weak stuff. We are talking a mini laser in your ear that will revolutionize hearing implants. This reputation is strong within the field but not evident in the USNews rankings(at one point i was interested in ENT and i have been to several ENT conferences so I know). In any case, the northwestern person did well. Realize there are very very few programs in the US for ENT. So again, matching at all is an accomplishment. UCLA and cleveland clinic are also top tier ENT programs.

Radiation Oncology
There are like 30 spots total in the nation. We matched 2 of them. Enough said.

Dermatology
Another super-ridiculously-difficult specialty to get into. One person in my class did not get into it. And actually it is a bit puzzling why she did not. I believe she was AOA(though i could be wrong), had great board scores, and has the personal skills to get thru an interview. Quite puzzling in my mind. In the super-ridiculously-difficult specialties to get into stuff happens though.

Neurosurgery
Again, another ridiculously difficult specialty to get into. Porensky's fiancee's family is in Ohio. This kid is ridiculously smart, he could have gone to a lot of places. Nickele is from the midwest and is married and wanted to stay in the midwest. There was one more applicant who failed to match into neurosurg. This person had some issues though and did not do so well on one of their clerkships. I am sure this had an effect on their application.

Plastics
We had someone match into it. Not every school has a plastics match because there are soooo few spots. Not quite rad onc, but pretty damn close I think.

Med-peds
You have to have kick ass board scores and evals in both peds AND medicine to get into med peds. Monge could have easily been at an ivy league or ucsf if she went straight medicine. Then again, duke is not too shabby for any specialty.

Summary

So in any case...I really do not see how we performed poorly at all on the match. We did really well. If we had less people go into the ridiculously competitive surgical subspecialties, you would have seen more top tier matches in general surgery and medicine(as if we didnt have enough smart people in our class going into medicine). The 3 people who did not match are doing prelim years and will reapply next fall. Trust me, EVERY school has their 2-3 or 4 people who have issues during the match for whatever reason. In ourcase, its because they were going into the ridiculously difficult specialties to break in to. If we had people go unmatched into general surgery, anesthesia, emergency medicine, or even medicine, peds, or OB/gyn, then I would be concerned.

Any questions?

Really appreciate this, UCLAMan. :thumbup: sorry to put you up to all this work. I didn't even know plastics is a residency by itself. i somehow always thought it's a fellowship after gen surg.

I just got my finaid statement from NU. though I know it varies individually and ppl can always apply for forbearance and stuff, but are you stressed out about paying that enormous amount of loan back? I'm still a bit insecure about the prospect of holding over $200,000 debt at graduation.:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Really appreciate this, UCLAMan. :thumbup: sorry to put you up to all this work. I didn't even know plastics is a residency by itself. i somehow always thought it's a fellowship after gen surg.

I just got my finaid statement from NU. though I know it varies individually and ppl can always apply for forbearance and stuff, but are you stressed out about paying that enormous amount of loan back? I'm still a bit insecure about the prospect of holding over $200,000 debt at graduation.:scared:

no worries...i was done with medical school a week ago. its a weird feeling waking up in the morning and not having anything to do. ;)

There are indeed plastic surgery fellowships after gen surg. The straight thru plastic surgery progs like the one my classmate matched into are hard as hell to get.

Do not worry about the debt. You can pay it back. Many of the people in my class are planning on purchasing condos or houses before starting residency. (yes, it is possible even with a debt of 200k+) Your educational debt does not hurt your credit. Most everyone in my class is still Tier I(excellent) credit despite the huge educational debt.

Doctor Loans

There are many other lenders that offer the same thing.

You can also defer repayment of your loans until you are an attending. I believe the federal loans will not accumulate interest, but the private loans will accummulate if you choose deferment.

Do not worry about the educational debt you accrue. You will be good for it eventually and it is possible to live-or even own your own place- on a resident's salary. (Just dont flunk or anything)

I have yet to get this statement... anyone hear back regarding merit aid? ...bueller?

thanks guys, this has certainly made the decision making process that much tougher

don't worry though, I'm sure there will be more notifications as people accept and decline the scholarships (I know I have until May 4 to decide).

Congrats on your acceptances! I am a first year at Northwestern, and am so happy with my choice.

On another note, I know a lot of you are probably thinking and looking into finding apartments. I live in a really popular building for medical students called Onterie (it was on your tour for those who went). The building has a deal where if you refer someone for a lease you get $600. If anyone decides to live in Onterie (it is really nice), please contact me first and we can split the $600. All you would have to do is give them my name and you get $300! Anyways, PM me if you are interested!

All you would have to do is give them my name and you get $300! Anyways, PM me if you are interested!

thanks, pnasty. :thumbup: i was contriving a plan to make that same deal with a current student resident all along during my second look wknd apartment tour. :laugh:

btw, how and where would someone go about getting cheap furnitures around the city if he/she doesn't have a car? do you ask for a delivery? i imagine it could be kind tough to get a queen size or king size mattress into the tiny elevators of the high rises, right?

thanks, pnasty. :thumbup: i was contriving a plan to make that same deal with a current student resident all along during my second look wknd apartment tour. :laugh:

btw, how and where would someone go about getting cheap furnitures around the city if he/she doesn't have a car? do you ask for a delivery? i imagine it could be kind tough to get a queen size or king size mattress into the tiny elevators of the high rises, right?

i rented a uhaul truck and bought EVERYTHING(ikea bed, mattress, couch, desk, tv, tv stand, lighting, etc.) in one day. Keep in mind...most of the high rises require you to reserve the freight elevator when you move-in so careful planning and coordination is usually warranted.

Hey M1s-to-be

I'm a current first year wondering any of you are looking for someone to live with next year. My current roomie (another m1) is moving out because her significant other is going to be coming to town alot more next year.

I'd like to live close to school AND I own a TiVo.
PM me if interested.

~Ellen

ooo... May 15 is approaching fast. decisions, decisions!! :scared:

can anyone give me a feedback on how abbott hall is? I applied and was offered a small studio.

thanks!

Wow, I have never heard of anyone actually living in Abbott. It is an old building, and frankly I would hope that they are giving you a significant discount over the going rate for small studios in the area (the going rate being around $850 (edit: most likely more). If it is cheap though, I would say go for it--although I never was one for paying extra to live in a "luxury" apartment.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone actually living in Abbott. It is an old building, and frankly I would hope that they are giving you a significant discount over the going rate for small studios in the area (the going rate being around $850). If it is cheap though, I would say go for it--although I never was one for paying extra to live in a "luxury" apartment.

icic.. the one I was offered was priced 800 / month which I think it includes all utilities (so in the end it's much cheaper).. I've looked around for prices of studios around campus but I've only seen price range from 1050-1300.. where can you find a 850? I've looked at apartments that a lot of students stay (mcclurg, onterie, 420E. ohio.. etc, and they all seem to be in that price range.

thanks

I suppose 850 is a little low for the buildings you mentioned, but if you look west of the school there are some non-luxury buildings that are still close enough to the school that are a little cheaper. I would say that $800 is a pretty good deal if money is an important factor to you. I am not sure there will be many other students will be around though, but maybe they are offering more rooms to students there nowadays.

I suppose 850 is a little low for the buildings you mentioned, but if you look west of the school there are some non-luxury buildings that are still close enough to the school that are a litle cheaper. I would say that $800 is a pretty good deal if money is an important factor to you. I am not sure there will be many other students will be around though, but maybe they are offering more rooms to students there nowadays.

thanks for the reply. I think i'll be living at abbott. :)

Hey everyone,
I'm going to Chicago next week to look at apartments (and am really excited). Anyway, my bf and I don't really want to live in the high rises next to northwestern. I'm interested in this cool loft, but don't know if it's too far away. How far is too far to live? I'm going to see how long it takes to commute next week,but this will be in decent weather. When it hits below 0 does every mile seem like an eternity? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey everyone,
I'm going to Chicago next week to look at apartments (and am really excited). Anyway, my bf and I don't really want to live in the high rises next to northwestern. I'm interested in this cool loft, but don't know if it's too far away. How far is too far to live? I'm going to see how long it takes to commute next week,but this will be in decent weather. When it hits below 0 does every mile seem like an eternity? Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, each person has their own definition of "too far." I live 6 blocks away and most of my classmates think I might as well in Siberia :rolleyes: Anyway, some people do live as far away as Evanston or the South Loop, but I don't think they are walking to school, which is what it sounds like you are planning on..? It does get really cold in the winter and each block in the biting wind off the lake seems like forever, but you get used to it. But I am from a cold state, so it might be different if you are coming from LA. My personal "too far to walk" limit was about 10 blocks, but there are other methods of transit available or you may like walking more than I do.

Bottom line is you should live where you will be the most comfortable, yet not so far that you can't get to school in a resonable amount of time. And remember you can live a little further away and use mass transit if that is what works for you, although that will add to your costs. I am glad some people are realizing that you don't HAVE to live in those damned high-rises if you don't want to :)

Thanks Buff! The place is about 2 miles from school. I was planning on taking mass transit, but the place is about 6 blocks away from the T stop. And then I would have to walk from the subway stop to Northwestern. I'm glad you say 6 blocks isn't too far to walk. I DO like walking, but I've never walked in such windy weather. I don't mind the cold, but I hate the wind. :oops:
On interview day, I felt like everyone lived in those high rises and only walked like 2 blocks to school. I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants something a little different.

Sounds like it won't be bad as long as you schedule the transit time into your schedule. And I think your place will be more than 6 blocks from the nearest T stop, as we only have the L in Chicago ;)

oops. how embarrasing :)

i got off the waitlist a few weeks ago and am now looking for an apartment. there's a place that's about 4 miles away from school right on lake shore drive that's significantly cheaper than going the high-rise/studio route (ie, about $3600 cheaper per year). my roommate would be a non-medical student whom i don't yet know. can any current students tell me if i would kick myself for living this far away later on?

and if so, or if anyone else is still looking for an apartment, i'm a very nice 22 y/o female interested in a 2 bed/2 bath unit at mcclurg or onterie, so pm me if you're interested! :D

Yeah I think that you may regret it. It sounds like only 4 miles but four miles on Lake Shore at 7:30am, on the way to classes? I say you go with taking an apt in McClurg or the Onterie and someone always needs a roomie. I'm sure you'll find one. Good Luck!

thanks for the advice, keedz!

i'm out of the country 'til next month. still haven't sort out my room situation yet.
hey, questionable, were you talking about a place 4 miles north or south of the school? how much are the places you are looking at? just curious.

i was looking north of the school, yo. now that i'm trying to find something closer, pretty much everything is $1000+/month. :eek:

Hey all,

It's been almost 2 months since I last wrote, but I figure with final decisions, wait list stuff, etc there is hopefully someone who is going to be a first year and still looking for someone to live with.

As I said before, I'm gonna be a second year, and I wanna live close to school.
If you're looking for someone to help share expenses, I'm your go to girl.

Again, pm if interested.

~ellen

I have a sort of random question. I sort of recall from 2nd look weekend that the first couple of weeks of first year are really simple. Could any of you older students give me some insight into whether or not this is true and what do the first few weeks of school entail?
Thanks!

This is more or less true. The first week you have to be there is orientation week and it is just lectures/ CPR training/ other intro-type things. Youll have no homework and the second years will plan bar nights each night so you can be very tired the next morning (and facilitate meeting the rest of class, of course.) Over the first two years I got the least sleep during this week b/c all the orientation stuff starts at 8am and is mandatory. (but I never went to class after that and I like bars so your experience may differ).

Anyway, the second week is Medical Decision Making I (about stats and probabilities and the like). You'll have very little work to do and the course load is very light.

Biochem starts third week and lasts for the next 5-6 weeks. The course load is still kind of light because anatomy does not start until block II, but by now afternoon classes have picked up and PBL starts as well.

So I would say the first two weeks are for sure very easy, and it starts to mount after that. The school does it this way on purpose to make sure you all ease into life in med school.

awesome. thanks! i think i'm still going to be wrapping up some work from my job--which I can definitely swing if the first two weeks aren't too hectic.

Started to get excited...O-week starts in a little over a month.

My question is also directed towards some of the older students. The new list of books for next year just got put up on the c/o 2011 site. Obviously we should get the required texts, but there are way more "recommended" textbooks than one could possibly use. Were there a few that stood out as more useful that perhaps you could share with us? Thanks in advance for any help...

Obviously we should get the required texts, but there are way more "recommended" textbooks than one could possibly use.

Whoa there, who ever said you should buy the required texts? You probably will not take this advice, and I totally understand that b/c I probably would not have either when I was you, but even those textbooks that are "recommended" by your fellow students (which I think might be a sham, I never filled out that survey) you don't actually need to own.

Here are the ones from your list I would actually buy again for 1st year: Lo (the ethics book), the histo book (but only for its atlas), Grant's Dissector, ROHEN's anatomy (best anatomy atlas ever), neuro atlas, and BRS phys. Plus maybe some anatomy flashcards if you are in to that sort of thing. But seriously, these are all I ever used first year and I think most of my classmates would say the same. Can you read Boron? sure, but I don't think most people do.

The reason I don;t recommend most of these books is b/c the course packs the for each unit that contain each lecturer's notes are more than enough to learn all the required material and that is where all the test questions are coming form anyway. Seriously, each unit's lecture notes are hundreds of pages long, and you will (probably) have more than enough fun reading them let alone slogging through another 50 pages in some physio text.

That said, people get through NU in different ways, but I really do think that the advice presented above is the majority opinion.

Just joined this forum so I thought I'd say hello to my future classmates. Didn't get a chance to go to second look but I am attending the Orientation week events so I hope to meet everyone there. I was just curious to see where everyone was living, i'm staying at McClurg is anyone else living there?

hey everyone, after disappearing for months, i'm finally back and ready for school to start (at least my mind tricks me into think that im ready for med school). anywho, i should in town by early aug. anyone's around to hang out, maybe grab a couple drinks?
OmegaR, congratulations! and how/when did get a place at mcclurg? i contact them right after i got back in the country last wk (i knew it was late), and they are completely out until mid sept or something. i had this apt tour during orientation. the building of mcclurg seems pretty decent from my first impression.

hey everyone, after disappearing for months, i'm finally back and ready for school to start (at least my mind tricks me into think that im ready for med school). anywho, i should in town by early aug. anyone's around to hang out, maybe grab a couple drinks?
OmegaR, congratulations! and how/when did get a place at mcclurg? i contact them right after i got back in the country last wk (i knew it was late), and they are completely out until mid sept or something. i had this apt tour during orientation. the building of mcclurg seems pretty decent from my first impression.

I dropped by Chicago in early June to look at apartments and I was able to get a room then. What type of room were you looking for, a studio? Good luck searching, see you next month.