nuclear medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zipzip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do u have to go thru radiology to do a nuclear medicine residency

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you just need one year of training (transitional year, prelim medicine, prelim surgery, etc.) and Nuclear Medicine is a 2 year residency. People who complete a diagnostic radiology residency can do a one year fellowship.

thanks for answering that for me. I was wondering how img friendly is this speciality. i know that radiology is impossible for an img, but is nuclear medicine a little easier. Plus I hope to have a couple of research papers related to nuclear medicine. please advise

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very IMG friendly although seems more competitive lately with people trying to use it as a back door to radiology. However I would be prepared before you do such a residency in that it is not easy finding employment afterwards.

Doese anyone know if there is any big income difference between pathology/nucs, medicine/nucs and radiology/nucs? Which academic nucs programs are considered as the best? Thanks.

Practically speaking, radiology/nucs is the only combination in which you are likely to find steady employment. Few groups do enough nucs volume to justify it as a full-time position. The future of nucs (in the near term at least) is PET-CT, requiring a strong cross-sectional background. If you don't want direct patient care and aren't competitive in rads, I would personally recommend doing pathology instead of non-radiology nucs.