Ochem1 + LifeSci over the Summer (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellie3

Reaction score
Hello, I’m a new member, and I‘m a student from South Korea.
In Korea, the spring semester is from March to June, and the fall semester is from September to December.
I am currently a sophomore in university planning to take organic chemistry 1 + introductory life science this summer from June 28 to Aug 4.
I do have a strong biology background, so I think that life science will be okay, but for organic chemistry 1, I have a small background (basic nomenclature, alkanes, stereochemistry, E1/E2/SN1/SN2 reactions, etc.).

The problem is, is it okay to take organic chemistry 1 (no lab component) in 6 six weeks over the summer, even if you have a small background?
What are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly think the background you mentioned is actually a pretty normal and reasonable background to go into organic chemistry 1 with.

That being said I think taking organic chemistry 1 over the summer could be difficult, just because of how rushed and crammed all the material is but on the other hand my understanding is that some people prefer it because they can focus on just one class instead of being swamped with all of their other classwork. Note, however, that if you're taking it alongside an equally rushed/crammed life science, it might be significantly more difficult just because of sheer workload.

In essence, I think it might be quite challenging but it isn't impossible; although it might make your life significantly easier if you opted for one of the two instead of both. But honestly, if you feel confident taking both over the summer I'd just say you could go for it.

I honestly think the background you mentioned is actually a pretty normal and reasonable background to go into organic chemistry 1 with.

That being said I think taking organic chemistry 1 over the summer could be difficult, just because of how rushed and crammed all the material is but on the other hand my understanding is that some people prefer it because they can focus on just one class instead of being swamped with all of their other classwork. Note, however, that if you're taking it alongside an equally rushed/crammed life science, it might be significantly more difficult just because of sheer workload.

In essence, I think it might be quite challenging but it isn't impossible; although it might make your life significantly easier if you opted for one of the two instead of both. But honestly, if you feel confident taking both over the summer I'd just say you could go for it.
Thank you so much for your opinion
I will consider what you said about how two courses during the summer may be too rushed~
😁😁😊😊

Reactions: 1 user