OFFICIAL: 2003 Duke countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone who has not heard anything by now (3/16)? Am I the only one? sigh.....

Members don't see this ad.

I just returned from spring break to find an big envelope from Duke in the mail. Definitely something good to come home to. It was posmarked 3/13 and I'm in the dc area, if that helps anyone.

good luck!

hey annagreene I PMed you - is Duke your top choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Does DOOK rank their waitlist?????????? Does anyone know when you are allowed to find out??????? Also, anyone have any idea how many people are waitlisted??

But most important, is it ranked???/

lyric_bari,

ignorant moment: i don't know what PMing is...new to the forum and all. help?

so i am confused.

if we want to hold onto the duke acceptance, but haven't decided for sure that we want to go to duke, do we have to send duke anything?

it looks like the "statement of intent" they sent us is binding (and it says we have until May15th to send in). so is there any form we send them just to say we want to hold onto the acceptance?

thanks.

Originally posted by Ronin
Is there anyone who has not heard anything by now (3/16)? Am I the only one? sigh.....

I'm with you Ronin...alas Duke and Wash U

I'm still waiting also. interviewed 2/26...hoping the late interview is the reason...but i'm about 99% convinced my waitlist papers on somewhere with the US postal service right now....

thanks for making me feel a bit better, gotgirth & siempre595.
right now i just hope i can get a waitlist spot..... it would be nice enough at this point.

I'm with you guys. still haven't heard in DC

I've stopped posting my daily "got nothing today." I haven't heard in nj, but I'm expecting to hear this week. Unfortunately it will not be good news. Now I gotta start figuring out a second choice.

Well it's offical, the dream is over. Now I can wallow in self pity and bitterness. I know it's a top 5 school and all but I have to say that I'm really pissed off by this. I have the average stats for all duke undergrads accepted into duke med school and I'm well above the average gpa and mcat score. I know it's not just about numbers though. I had a first author publication and a co-author one, 3 summer research internships, 3 full years of research, great letters of rec (one from a professor at duke med, which was mentioned at every interview I've had), multiple volunteer positions, and interviews that I thought went really well. I just don't understand how I didn't even get a waitlist. It just doesn't get any worse than this. This is going to take a long time to get over.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks ccCrazie... this admissions stuff is just nuts. :rolleyes:

well ccCrazie,
at least you make me feel that I'm in good company.....
congrats to those you got in, i don't think i was right for the place anyhow.

Originally posted by kreno
Question: Does DOOK rank their waitlist?????????? Does anyone know when you are allowed to find out??????? Also, anyone have any idea how many people are waitlisted??

But most important, is it ranked???/

I was waitlisted last year, and according to my sources Duke does rank their list, and they are not allowed to tell you ANYTHING (not even whether or not you're in the top or bottom half!)!!! I had also heard that the list had AT LEAST 100 people on it, but I don't know if that was the number of spots offered or the number who accepted spots on the list. I also heard that the rankings are fixed, but I'm not sure if this is really true.

In the Duke class of 2006 there are 7 or 8 students who were accepted from the waitlist, that I know of. And if 7 or 8 students came, that probably means they offered spots to more than just 7 or 8 people, especially as it got closer to orientation day. But it seems to vary year to year...I've seen stats that say Duke accepted around 20 off the list a few years back, so you never know. It all depends on how many initial acceptances they grant, and how many students decide to matriculate (which I know isn't very helpful, but that's the way it is unfortunately)

So if you really like Duke, show interest! Accept the spot on the list, and write letters if it's truly your first choice. Unfortunately that they aren't allowed to tell you anything if you call admissions.

That really sucks, ccCrazie. I would be mad, too. *hug*

k, so i was put on the waitlist according to a letter dated march 11th. but now just received a rejection letter dateh march 12th! Duke admissions screws up again. In actuality, I'd rather be rejected now than being at the bottom of a 100 person waitlist that only takes 8-9 students and waiting 'till August!

Its official: Northwestern, here i come!:clap:

Originally posted by TommyGunn04
I was waitlisted last year, and according to my sources Duke does rank their list, and they are not allowed to tell you ANYTHING (not even whether or not you're in the top or bottom half!)!!! I had also heard that the list had AT LEAST 100 people on it, but I don't know if that was the number of spots offered or the number who accepted spots on the list. I also heard that the rankings are fixed, but I'm not sure if this is really true.

In the Duke class of 2006 there are 7 or 8 students who were accepted from the waitlist, that I know of. And if 7 or 8 students came, that probably means they offered spots to more than just 7 or 8 people, especially as it got closer to orientation day. But it seems to vary year to year...I've seen stats that say Duke accepted around 20 off the list a few years back, so you never know. It all depends on how many initial acceptances they grant, and how many students decide to matriculate (which I know isn't very helpful, but that's the way it is unfortunately)

It sucks to exchange anxiously waiting for an acceptance to anxiously waiting to get in off the wait list but as I said before I don't care if I get in off the waitlist for the waitlist so long as I go.

So I'm wondering if you would harbor a guess as to when you think any movement from the waitlist will occur - when did it happen last year?

Thanks

If Duke is your first choice, when are you writing to them to let them know. Did the letter say something about this??? Just trying to figure out my next step.

Originally posted by ready
It sucks to exchange anxiously waiting for an acceptance to anxiously waiting to get in off the wait list but as I said before I don't care if I get in off the waitlist for the waitlist so long as I go.

So I'm wondering if you would harbor a guess as to when you think any movement from the waitlist will occur - when did it happen last year?

Thanks

I can't remember exactly when movement started last year...I know it was after May 15th, because they have to wait until after they hear back from everyone they've offered an initial acceptance to. I think the first movement I heard about (here on SDN) was around the beginning of June. And it continued until just a few days before orientation started! We started on August 5th, and I know of a classmate who was called on August 1st!

I just tried to search for last year's thread to see when movement started, but SDN's search feature isn't working for me right now for some reason. But I'd highly recommend looking around for last year's thread to see when movement occurred. I think it was also called the official duke countdown thread, or something like that. There might've been a separate Duke waitlist thread too...I forget.

Waitlisted...

Hey guys,

Hey TommyGunn, just one point of clarification. I just checked my email and saw that i was accepted on May 17th of the waitlist, so keep your heads up. Some of us didn't have to wait very long. Good luck to all of you. See ya bright an early TommyGunn

Bebe2

Just out of curiosity, has anyone *NOT* heard anything yet? I haven't received any mail yet!

I didn't get my rejection in Philly until Monday, if that helps at all.... Good luck!

~sg

This question was posed earlier but not answered - for those of you accepted at Duke, are you sending in the statement of intent within the three week deadline mentioned in the acceptance, or are you waiting until May 15th when you are absolutely sure you will be attending Duke? I just re-read the letter and caught the 3 week reply deadline for the first time...

i'm sending in the letter now (within the 3 weeks) and the check later (ie, before may 15th)