Official BUSM Class of 2007!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goredsox

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up to all my BUSM classmates! This school was my #1 choice and I couldn't be more excited to be in Boston for the next four years. Not to mention - I'm living with a high school friend practically next door to Fenway. So, let me know who's out there.

Go red sox!

Members don't see this ad.

I got in last week. BU was my first choice as well and iam definitely excited to be going to Boston.

Congratulations!!!!
I got a call from Dean Witzburg on June 12th and have been on cloud 9 even since :clap: Of the 6 schools that interviewed me, BU is definitely my first choice.
I am familiar with BUSM, as I completed a Master's in Medical Science degree program there last year. I had to take some of the first-year MED classes as a graduate student so if you guys want to know anything more about the school, drop me a line... I am certainly not qualified to answer all questions, but I may have some idea of what we are in for.
Alex

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh hell yeah - I've been on cloud nine for awhile now...every time I picture myself in Boston. I'm taking out some serious loans though to cover the cost of living. I took the Army scholarship so that should help some. Where ya'll coming from...and where are you living next year? I'm at the Univ of VA now, finishing up some research (graduated in '02). I'm quitting in two weeks to have some time off before school. I love that BU doesn't start until Sept. That gives me awhile to figure things out, like the T.

cherries - what's your general impression of the teachers and the classes. hard/not as ridiculous as people might think, scripted/ad lib...?

i know we've got some other BU futures out there...let a kid know.

Yeah the loans... turns out I am not eligible for institutional aid due to my father's deferrment of his taxes until October so I will be big time in debt by the time I graduate... I did get a scholarship at Albany - 3000 and my father's tax status did not matter to them (my partents divorced in 1979) but even with all these setbacks I am delighted to go to BU... who wants to live in Albany anyways?! I had to go for an alternative loan with plenty of deferrments and interest-only option for the first 2 years of re-payment, so that I get to go into a long residency if I choose to and not worry about surviving.
I think that for the most part the classes at BUSM were reasonable - I took Biochemistry. Physiology, Endocrinology and Immunology with the First-year medical students. All of these (except Immunology) were taught by a group of professors and for the most part I was impressed with how knowledgeable the professors were. They were well-prepared and approachable for the most part.
Still, Physiology was the hardest class I ever took. I thought that the exams were fair and the syllabi - many of them 100-200 pages long, covered the lecture material pretty well. I did not take Histology, although most of the grad students did and I did hear people complaining about the volume of material. All in all I managed to get a good GPA and work 32 hours as a graduate student, however our course load was much lighter in comparison to the med students'.
Goredsox - good for you, I like the Fenway. I will probably keep my apartment in Waltham - a Western suburb, about 20 minutes away. I plan to work 10-20 hours a week (well, closer to 10) and keep my place, I like it, I only wish it were closer to BUSM and the city.
Good luck with the move to Boston... I am excited yet glad that we have until September.

hello fellow classmates

The PelicanMan will be attending BU in September unless something crazy happens. I need to find an apartment and a roomate the problem is that I live in Florida and I am about to leave the country. So I will have to find a place when I get back. I have never lived in Boston and look forward to living there and of course I am looking foward to pursuing my dream of going to medical school. I love that its pass/fail the first year.

Good to hear form you Pelican Man. Good luck on finding a place, Boston rentals can be pretty pricey compared to FL(my parents live in the Tampa area) and many students rent from May for September, but I am sure you'll find something. I am sure BU will be sending you apartment and roommate listing.
BU people - did any of you have the physical yet? I think the deadline is August 15th and I am caoming back form Europe on the 11th. I am debatign whether I shoudl put it off until then.
Congratulations again to everyone again! It will be great to see you in the fall!

Hi Bowlofcherries,
I haven't had my physical yet. Maybe you can call the admissions office and see how firm is that deadline. I would suspect that if you are going out of country; you can just tell them that I can't get an appointment til you come back.

Time for a little bump here.

Question about the hepatitis b series. I'll have shots 1 and 2 over the next month, but can't possibly have the third before school starts...anyone know yet what BU is saying about this?

Also - question on the direct (stafford) loans...do we get the lump sum of our loans (for living expenses) before/when school starts or is it dispersed over the year? I hope it comes up front, that would definitely give me some breathing room.

Other than that, I just can't wait for this week to be over so I can quit my job and start moving to Boston. I hear Springsteen is playing at Fenway in early Sept. - I'm not the biggest fan, but my apt is right next to Fenway and it should be pretty cool to just open my windows and hear the concert.

Hi Guys,

I am so excited to get into med school. My #1 choice no less. After the excitment, i am suddenly overwhelmed with moving to a new city. I do not know a random person ......not one in boston. I have lived in the DC area for the past 10 years.

any one in the same shoes? pls respond I need an ally:(

Originally posted by goredsox
Time for a little bump here.

Question about the hepatitis b series. I'll have shots 1 and 2 over the next month, but can't possibly have the third before school starts...anyone know yet what BU is saying about this?
I think we are all in the same boat here, since Hep B takes several months to be administered, I cannot see how BU will want all their students to have all 3 shots before they start school. If you have had it on a prior occasion, you might be able to get away with a blood test, to confirm your immunity. I had it in 1994 and when starting work in Cardiology in 1998, took the test and that was enough. I think it expires in 7 years though.

Also - question on the direct (stafford) loans...do we get the lump sum of our loans (for living expenses) before/when school starts or is it dispersed over the year? I hope it comes up front, that would definitely give me some breathing room.

I am totally with you - I hope it does come up front, because we get hit with interest immediately (well on the unsubsuduzed loans at least), but I am not so sure. Damn... I went to the OSFS today, I wish I had thought to ask this question.

Other than that I found out that the white coat ceremony will be on Friday September 5th!!! I am sooooo excited!

Hey Guys,

Another BUSM-bound here, whoowhooo! BU was my first choice too. But, I've lost most of the excitement. I got in back in January. I just want to start already. I live in Boston, and have met quite a few incoming first year over the past couple of months. It seems like it's going to be an interesting bunch.
I am a little tired to look at the questions people have asked on here. I'll take a look back later.

I look forward to meeting you all. Enjoy your summer!