*Official* "IM Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GI med, I'll see you in Denver I guess. :) Let me know if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Mumpu said:
GI med, I'll see you in Denver I guess. :) Let me know if you have questions.

Looks like I'll be seeing you both tomorrow as well. It should be fun to try to guess who you are!

cj0415 said:
wow i never realized that so many people have such good numbers!!! after looking through everyone's posts, i really have to consider myself lucky, unlike alot of the ppl on this forum, my numbers are not nearly as good, but maybe this will bring some encouragement those out there with so-so numbers ...

so here are my stats:
step I 212 (i know, a lot lower than all of your 240s ...)
step II: not taken
step IIcs: just finished, prob passed
honored every clerkship in 3rd and 4th yr, except family med ...
top 30-40 school in northeast
AOA: missed it by few points thanks to my step 1
deans letter: 1st category in my school (top 20%)
publication: none. i have done some research here and there, but ...
no away rotation

interviews at (in alaphbetical order):

bidmc
bu
columbia
cornell
gw
hopkin
mgh
northwestern
mt sinai
nyu
tufts
stanford
ucla
ucsd
yale

I also don't mean to be obnoxious or rude, but I fully agree with Zolpiden25's statement that this process is hard to figure out. I was rejected from MGH and B/W this week, which was saddening as I was hoping for at least 1 of them. Starting to think that the Harvard programs are more selective than JHU. Could it be because that there are fewer applicants to JHU and/or the different cities (Boston vs. Baltimore)? Here are my stats:
step I 248
step II: just took
step IIcs: passed
honored every clerkship in 3rd and 4th yr, except family med
top 30-40 school
AOA
deans letter: top quartile
publications: none, but have done research

Members don't see this ad :)
jadedbearsprite said:
I also don't mean to be obnoxious or rude, but I fully agree with Zolpiden25's statement that this process is hard to figure out. I was rejected from MGH and B/W this week, which was saddening as I was hoping for at least 1 of them. Starting to think that the Harvard programs are more selective than JHU. Could it be because that there are fewer applicants to JHU and/or the different cities (Boston vs. Baltimore)? Here are my stats:
step I 248
step II: just took
step IIcs: passed
honored every clerkship in 3rd and 4th yr, except family med
top 30-40 school
AOA
deans letter: top quartile
publications: none, but have done research

I don't disagree with you, I am sure the process is somewhat random - I am interviewing at MGH and Hopkins, but not at UPenn. It just seems that most of the posts on this forum seem very number oriented. All I was trying to say is that although important, but stats is always everything, and that maybe they do read the rest of our applicaiton ...

yeah they read the part that says what medical school you go to.

DrNick2006 said:
. . . and what your extracurriculars were, and if you spent a year in Zimbabwe feeding the hungry. .

medlaw06 said:
And OH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1st PLACE!!!! (ok, so its in the weakest division in football)

Da' BEARS!!!

KEEP ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'.....

Even with Mike Ditka with both arms broken, an epidural hem., orbital cellulitis, ruptured TM b/l, retropharengeal abscess, Boeerhave's Syndrome, Acute Thyroiditis, Pericarditis, ARDS, bleeding gastric ulcer, s/p cholelithiasis, hepatic encephalopathy, pancreatitis (complicated, of course, by a phlegmon--duh!) acute viral gastroenteritis, ruptured appendix, AVM malformation, diverticulitis, bleeding rectal abscess AND hemorrhoids, ARF due to dehydration, broken femur, terrible triad, ruptured achilles heel AND baker's cyst, a fallen arch, AND, of course, a bunion ALL AT THE SAME TIME, I WOULD STILL TAKE Da' BEARS OVER THE PANTHERS!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

DA' BEARS!!!

DrNick2006 said:

CJ probably has something special on her/his application that most people do not have which makes her/him a stronger candidate, helping out in the screening process.

Is this a token dead week with thanksgiving and all? I figure next week maybe the absolute last for interviews (not that it is looking good anyway).

Got Yale today. I had given up on them, so this is a surprise. Not sure if they are truly interested or if better applicants have withdrawn.
That wraps it up for me.

Offers (in no particular order):
UMass
Tufts
BU
Brown
BIDMC
SUNY-Upstate
UConn
Yale
Lahey Clinic
Einstein-monty
Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Westchester Medical Center
Pitt
Dartmouth
U of Maryland

Rejections: B&W (x3)

Good luck to all.....

Got UCSF today!!! Woo hoo!!! Finally!!!

Step 1: 250
Step 2CS: pass
AOA
Year 3+4: honored everything except OB/gyn (HP)
Top nothing med school...

Interviews at (in order received):
UC Irvine
Scripps Green
USC
Loma Linda
Harbor UCLA
Cedars Sinai
California Pacific
Olive View
UCLA
UC Davis
UCSF

Rejected from:
MGH
BWH
Stanford

Waiting to hear from:
UCSD

interview at UC davis today and axe from Duke.

Interviews:

UC davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
Mayo - roc
Mayo - jack
Cleveland Clinic
CWRU
U of M
UNC
BU
Yale - New Haven
Beaumont

Waiting to hear from:

UCLA*
BIDMC*
Tufts - NEMC
U Chicago*
Cornell
Columbia

* would interview at these places if offered.

Update:

New-York Presbyterian - Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Einstein - Beth Israel
St. Luke's
Einstein - Montefiore
Lenox Hill
Brown
Boston University
UMass
Mt. Auburn Hospital
Cedars Sinai
UCLA - Olive View
Santa Clara Valley
California Pacific Medical Center
USC
UC - Irvine

Hope things are going well for everyone and that you're enjoying interviews. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The only additions I have are Mayo-Jax and Scripps-Green

BTW - Did anyone think the Stanford Rejection was unusually cruel.

Subject: "Interview in Medicine at Stanford"

what would you think if you saw that in your box? I tried to convince myself that I read it wrong, but then I concluded that they are a bunch of D#$!s.

I thought the MGH and BWH were particularly sweet, they gave me a warm fuzzy.

ucladukes said:
I thought the MGH and BWH were particularly sweet, they gave me a warm fuzzy.
BWH rejected me three times like many others giving me that "They took yer jobs!!!" impression.

bbart76 said:
BWH rejected me three times like many others giving me that "They took yer jobs!!!" impression.

Yeah, I also got the "rejection hat-trick" from BWH. The letter was signed by three different Doctors - I guess each one wanted to take the opportunity to personally reject me.

I have no idea how my ROL will look. But my final list for interviews is:

MGH
Brigham
Hopkins
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
Yale
Penn
Columbia
Cornell
U Chicago
Northwestern

Declining a bunch . . . Wash U, Michigan, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Harbor-UCLA, Cedars Sinai

Incidentally, I forgot to apply to BID altogether. Oops.

Good luck everyone. Hope everyone ends up happy.

rejected by Duke last night (no surprise here).

here's my updated list:

Interviews:
Case Western
Mayo Roch
Georgetown
George Washington
Emory
Michigan
Loyola
Northwestern
Rush
Tufts
Boston U
Wash U
UCLA
U Chicago

Declining offers (courteously) at:
Temple
USC

Rejected by: MGH, BWH, UCSF, Stanford, JHU, UPenn, Duke

Still haven't heard from:
BIDMC
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai.

What is up with the new yorkers taking so long??!
Z

The invites went out like a week ago but I still haven't gotten a confirmation on which date works - anyone else in the same boat? Should I call them?

AugIM said:
The invites went out like a week ago but I still haven't gotten a confirmation on which date works - anyone else in the same boat? Should I call them?

Long time reader, first time poster (I know, late in the game). I am in the same boat with MGH... responded right after I got the e-mail and still have not heard back from them...

Also, is there anyone still waiting to hear from UCSF? I haven't heard anything... rejection or interview offer. Seems like I should just give up, right?

Here are my interview offers so far, no particular order:
Yale
Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
MGH
BWH
BIDMC
Stanford
U of Mich
Hopkins
Penn

Rejections: Duke

Still waiting... UCSF, Univ of Wash

Congrats to ucla2usc and DrJBond, they both got it right for those who care. Duke just ended up rejecting me. So I guess I'm 10 for 11. Not a shabby batting average.

putter said:
Adding UW, Brigham, and MGH this week

updated list of invites (so far 10/11):

Wash U
U Chicago
Stanford
UCSF
U Washington
Cornell
U Penn
Johns Hopkins
MGH
Brigham

Still have not heard from one program. Does anyone care to make a guess? To be revealed when they invite or reject me at this late stage.

called U Chicago, they are still reviewing apps, and have open interview slots.

kmed said:
Long time reader, first time poster (I know, late in the game). I am in the same boat with MGH... responded right after I got the e-mail and still have not heard back from them...

Also, is there anyone still waiting to hear from UCSF? I haven't heard anything... rejection or interview offer. Seems like I should just give up, right?

if you call mgh, they'll confirm it over the phone. if you don't call them, they say the confirmation will go out early next week. was told that ucsf is still plowing through the last 100 or so applications. at this point, however, i'm personally not holding out too much hope.

NYU today. There's still hope for those waiting for interviews (including myself).

Received UCSD today, UCSF yesterday!!! Finally I've heard from all of my places!!!

Step 1: 250
Step 2CS: pass
AOA
Year 3+4: honored everything except OB/gyn (HP)
Top nothing med school...

Interviews at (in order received):
UC Irvine
Scripps Green
USC
Loma Linda
Harbor UCLA
Cedars Sinai
California Pacific (declined offer)
Olive View
UCLA
UC Davis
UCSF
UCSD

Rejected from:
MGH
BWH
Stanford

Waiting to hear from:
None!!!!!

putter said:
Congrats to ucla2usc and DrJBond, they both got it right for those who care. Duke just ended up rejecting me. So I guess I'm 10 for 11. Not a shabby batting average.

Ha, they rejected me today too! I was tempted last week to withdraw before they could send it, just to so I could say I batted 1000 this season, but I was foiled!

what on earth could possibly be going on with cornell/columbia/sinai? :eek: i mean, its thanksgiving already, for the love of god... i'm sick of this waiting game.... :mad:

just had to get that off my chest... ;)

I finally heard from my last school (UCSF). Looks like I made it through the application process with only three rejections:

Interviews:
Washington U.
Virginia
Vanderbilt
Pittsburgh
Duke
Johns Hopkins
UCSD
Mayo
Michigan
U. Washington
UCSF
Stanford
MGH

The Axe:
Brigham
Brigham
Brigham

ucla2usc said:
Ha, they rejected me today too! I was tempted last week to withdraw before they could send it, just to so I could say I batted 1000 this season, but I was foiled!
Duke gave me the axe too...doesn't matter to me, I wasn't actually going to NC (it was a whim application for me)...

Still no word plus or minus from UCSF...that's the last program on my list
Anyone who got word from them, was it eras or via email...thanks for the info

Got UCSD today. Not sure if I'm actually going to interview there but at least it's one more program that has given me an answer. Sinai, Columbia, UW...ARE YOU THERE???

Interviews:
MGH
Baylor
Emory
UC-Denver
UCSD
Cornell
NYU

Rejections: UCSF, Brigham, Brigham, and Brigham

I am still shocked at how slow it is for these interviews to roll in. I know UW traditionally takes a long time cause they sift through all the apps individually after the Dean's letter comes out but I am surprised I've heard not a peep from Columbia or Sinai (who keeps informing me my app is "under review"). I really want to finalize my travel plans but am trying to keep space open for UW if I should get it.

Got UW today!!! OMG!

My list:
UW
Michigan
Maryland
Colorado
UAB
Cedars-Sinai
Harbor-UCLA
Arizona
Virginia Mason
Case-Western
Cleveland Clinic
UC Irvine

Today has been a wonderful day for me... I'm adding Univ. of Washington and UCSD. My list

UW
UCSD
Cedars
USC
Harbor
Irvine
Northwestern
UIC
Rush
Montefiore
Einstein- Beth Israel
UMDNJ- Newark
Drexel
Temple
Jeff
GW
Wash. Hosp Center
Hopkins- Bayvew
Univ. of MD

Still waiting on Georgetown (wtf??), Sinai, and NYU

Psyched about the UW thing- my dean sat me down over the summer, looked at my list and said "they can get 30-40 people that are better than you"

phinicky said:
Psyched about the UW thing- my dean sat me down over the summer, looked at my list and said "they can get 30-40 people that are better than you"

so your dean was basically telling you that you are underqualified for UW? i mean, based on the rest of your list i don't see why he would think that...

is UW like a really sweet place? i honestly don't know anything about it, but from the people on this forum, sounds like its awesome and quite competitive too..

congrats to everyone!
Z

Zolpidem25 said:
is UW like a really sweet place? i honestly don't know anything about it, but from the people on this forum, sounds like its awesome and quite competitive too..
Z
Supposedly U wash is pretty selective in sending out interview invites, but I don't know if the ACGME stuff has affected recruiting for them this year (I doubt it though).

The application rules should change to enforce a "review by" date so that I know where I'm getting an interview or being rejected by thanksgiving. This is sort of ridiculous. I guess I shouldn't complain that much if I get an invite next week but at some point, you get an invite and it isn't at all convenient to go.

maddog75 said:
The application rules should change to enforce a "review by" date so that I know where I'm getting an interview or being rejected by thanksgiving. This is sort of ridiculous. I guess I shouldn't complain that much if I get an invite next week but at some point, you get an invite and it isn't at all convenient to go.
Unfortunately I think programs try to send out their most wanted applicants interviews first and then slowly move down the list (considering most applications were completed well before Nov. 1; I suspect they just click on a couple of filters such as AOA, Step I, II, or other criteria to get the applications that they feel are worth reviewing).

OK, here's my situation: I haven't heard from u. of washington but I'm *VERY* interested in the program. Unfortunately, I've never left the east coast and I'm afraid that will lessen my chance of getting an interview there.
Is it crazy to email (or Fedex a personal note) to the program director at this point??? I figure they won't get back to reviewing apps until Monday because of the holiday...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Depending on your program director, you could ask them to contact the program director at U-dub to let them know that you are seriously considering them.

Thanks, souljah. My only concern is that seattle is sending out the last invites 11/30 and I don't know if I can get this all scheduled next week...I'm scared that I'll get a heartbreaking rejection first!

Heard from UCDavis today

GW - declined
UIC
penn state (but then I go there :) )
UCI
UCSF/Fresno - declined
Univ of Arizona - declined
Temple - declined
Univ of Wisconsin
Loyola
Rochester - declined
Loma Linda
Brown
USC (personal email only, no ERAS notification)
Cedars sinai
Univ of Maryland
Kaiser permanente-(socal)
UCDavis

Rejected from:
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
MGH
UWash
OHSU
Colorado
Northwestern

Waiting on (with little hope): UCSD and Yale

I got a Yale interview.

And I had to turn down U Wash interview...oh well. I will be happy when March comes :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've heard back from every program I applied to now, so here's my final lineup:

:thumbup: Interviews:
BID
Brown
BU
Duke
Michigan
UNC
U Penn
UVA
Wash U
Yale New Haven

:thumbdown: Rejections:
Hopkins
MGH
BWH (x3! Yes, I too got the triple whammy! :laugh: )

Is anyone out there as frustrated as I am? I have not yet heard from 7 programs (all around the country). When I email, they do not respond. When I call, they tell me that my application is still being reviewed or that it is not back yet from the reviewers. At first I believed this, but now I'm thinking that maybe my application is just "on hold" and they are not telling me that is the case. Does anyone out there that went through this process last year have any advice? Do people still recieve interview invites this late in the year? Should all of us that are waiting on programs to respond keep waiting or just give up on those programs?

Thanks for letting me vent! :)

I am in the same situation, where I have not heard back from seven programs yet from all over the country. I feel frustrated as well, but I have the feeling that there just may be quite a few more applications this year. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Thanks for letting me vent as well!

ok maybe venting on this forum is something i should do more often! heard from university of washington today! i guess there still is hope! ok, now only 6 more to go....

firstdoc said:
ok maybe venting on this forum is something i should do more often! heard from university of washington today! i guess there still is hope! ok, now only 6 more to go....

me too!

Received UW today. Still trying to decide whether to go...

Interviews:
Emory 9/15
UCSF 9/30
Duke 10/10
U of Chicago 10/17
U Penn 11/7
JHU 11/9
BWH 11/9
MGH 11/15
Stanford 11/17
UW 11/28

Finally done with this part of the game...good luck to everyone on interviews.

firstdoc said:
Is anyone out there as frustrated as I am? I have not yet heard from 7 programs (all around the country). When I email, they do not respond. When I call, they tell me that my application is still being reviewed or that it is not back yet from the reviewers. At first I believed this, but now I'm thinking that maybe my application is just "on hold" and they are not telling me that is the case. Does anyone out there that went through this process last year have any advice? Do people still recieve interview invites this late in the year? Should all of us that are waiting on programs to respond keep waiting or just give up on those programs?

Thanks for letting me vent! :)

hey guys-

did anyone hear from the NYC programs today? talking about Columbia, Cornell and Sinai in particular.... they are taking FOREVER. i'm just trying to finds out if they'll be sending out mass invites this week or not. please let me know if you have heard from them today or tomorrow, greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
Z

ps: still also waiting on BIDMC....

Hi -I just wondered if anyone knows if U Miami has sent out invites yet? Also St Lukes-Roosevelt NY, Cook County, Columbia, Cornell??

Invite from Beth Israel Deaconess today :)