OFFICIAL: Mt. Sinai Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to those of you with an acceptance at MSSM!!!! :clap:

I was wondering who else here intends to start MS1 this year at Mt. Sinai. It would be great to get to know some of my peers before the year starts, where people intend to live, who else is as excited as me about the move to NYC!!!,.... :D

Don't be shy ;) I want to hear from all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

hey there LittleMD,

greenwitch checking in as a soon to be fellow MSSM M1!

LittleMD,

Are we the only MSSM'ers here? that *can't* be true can it? (hint hint!)

btw, do you know how we refer to ourselves? are we MSSM'ers? Sinai-ites? Mounties?

Do you know how housing works? do we get assigned roomies in Aron Hall, or do we find them later (i'm planning on living there btw).

i'm really excited about NYC! lived there for a summer a while ago...

greenwitch

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like I am going there too. But I am not too thrilled about moving to NYC.

I've read a few threads where people say how much they love Sinai. How come there are only 3 of us here?!

I was just looking at the "where have you turned down acceptances" thread and it looks like Sinai's had 8 withdrawls from SDNers....

The Sinai lovers are probably us waitlisted folks... How could you not be excited about moving to NYC?

Anyway, I think MS's drop in the rankings and financial probs have probably contributed to the withdrawals. However, the school still has a great rep and is among the best in the nation. Plus the students seem genuinely happy there. Have fun at Sinai!

I am just turned off by the cost of living there, esp. housing. It costs ~1500 to get a one-bedroom. Other than that, MSSM seems to be a great school.

I talked to my interviewer recently about the financial problems of the hospital. She said everybody at the hospital now has to work a little more for the same kind of money or in some cases, less. I am supposed to talk to Dean Barnett about it tomorrow. Interested to know what he has to say.

Anyway, good luck to those waitlisted Sinai lovers!

If so, who the #$%& are you that they have to explain their financial situation and such? Dean Barnett is probably very busy and I am laughing thinking how sure of yourself you are that THEY must convince YOU to attend. :laugh: :laugh:

That is the best one I have heard. Go to Harvard or Cornell or whatever, b/c the students i met there were WAY more laid back than what your last post suggests.

<End of flame.>

To all who are accepted, congrats and I hope to see you there...if the waitlist allows me the opportunity. Hopefully someone else saw the weird "vibe" in the above post, if not then I am a bit on edge and my apologies.+pissed+

I suppose you can keep laughing your a$$ off if that's what you want to do.

I simply needed to ask whatever questions I had in mind. It's better to know the answer than sitting there scratching your head. (if that's what you mean by "laid back", then that's a shame.)

I don't have a problem talking to the Dean or whoever if they offer the opportunity to discuss the issue. I am sure though, that it's the question, not ME that is important for them to address.

Good luck.

Hi tianmom,

I'm interested as well in what Dean Barnett has to say about the financial situation. it's cool that you have the opportunity to talk to him!

I want to know why the class size increased this year if not for finanicial reasons, and whether more changes are in store for us as we got through med school.

Could you post to this list, or else PM me?

Thanks!
greenwitch

Hey tianmom,
Did you get a chance to talk to Dr Barnett?
Don't worry about labrat-21; we're really interested what the Dean may have had to say about Sinai's financial situation. If you mind sharing with us his comments, that would be great!
Thanks

Congrats again for being accepted there! Great place.

Greenwitch and Hippocrates2007,

I did talked to him this morning. This is what he said with regard to our question. It's probably a standard answer to any questions of this nature.

He said that the question about the financial problem at the medical center should be more of what a medical student should ask than to worry about. Medical students are too far down on the ladder in the medical center system to feel anything. The center has had problems for a couple of years by now. They've got new president, management team to try to work it out. Though it's not out of the woods yet, improvements have been seen.

He also pointed out that, despite the fact that a lot of hospitals are not doing well financially in the country, Sinai's got lots of publicity. He mentioned the recent incident about the death of a liver transplant donor, which is also highly publized. ( A man from Albany, NY died at Mt. Sinai hospital after he donated a lobe of his liver to his physician brother. The hospital's liver transplant program was suspended for a while)

About the school itself, he said it's a self-sustaining body. Money is set aside to take care of the education, faculty etc. Even if the hospital has to cut down the # of beds there, it will still be a great place to learn. Currently it's the 2nd largest in the city according to him. So basically medical students are not affected at all.

Hope this helps a little:)

Greenwitch, I think you also mentioned sth about the bigger size of the class. I remember that somebody asked the same question on my interview day to Dr. Barnett. Don't remember exactly what he said, but it's something like the school felt they have the capability to take more great students now. It has nothing to do with finance.

Hey everyone,... i'm thrilled that all of u guys will be my classmates next fall!!!

anyhow, tianmon, I felt the same concern as you and others of the financial situation and asked many people for their advice,.. but from discussing it with others, I am convinced that our medical education will not suffer, and we will all turn out to be excellent clinicians and very competitive residency applicants. It is a HUMONGOUS (i suck at sp?) financial and professional investment on our part, so it is really important to know the FACTS,... and keep in mind, the NYTimes is full of propoganda. For every struggle that sinai has encountered in recent years, they have had numerous successes as well. I am 100% sure this is the best decision for me. I went to MSSM during interview day, and it felt perfect,... I could really see myself there.

btw, why are you NOT excited about NYC?!?!?! that boggles my mind because it really is a city that has something for everybody... please explain, and hopefully I can ease your mind of any concerns or atleast better understand where you're coming from. don't worry, we're all friends here ;)

about the rent at Aron Hall: I recently called the real estates office, and they said that the rent will be anywhere from 519 - 620 per month, but more likely at 519-560 per month for first years because we are usually put on the 3rd thru 8th floors with other first years in a 4 bedroom, 2 bath suite. Furniture in the bedrooms is standard dorm stuff: twin bed (not the X-long kind tho), dresser, desk, bookshelf, and lamp.

alright, i want to write more, but gotta run. i'll post more later,... also if you feel any inclinations, lets tell each other a little about ourselves ;) i'm 23, female, from bloomfield hills, MI, (living in Ann Arbor, MI now), ... majored in industrial and operations engineering at Univ of Mich. (go blue!), and am dying to move to NYC!

Members don't see this ad :)
Little MD, thanks for the housing info. I probably should never have said what I said about NYC. I am clearly the minority. I agree NYC is a great place and I love it. But what's bothering me is the fact that my husband works in Washington, DC and going to MSSM means we have to maintain 2 households for a while, at least, which adds to the financial burden. So the expenses associated with living in an expensive city like NYC seem a little more intimidating to me.

Did you stay with a student host at aron hall for your interview? My host shares a suite with 5 people. Her bedroom is pretty small. But I don't know how much she is paying for that. Hopefully we can get something a little bigger.
:)

I have also recently been accepted to Sinai for the coming year. During my interview I felt like it was a perfect fit (although the highly spoken of housing was a bit of a disappointment for me, guess I'm not used to city apartments). After I left, I felt certain that I would be in NY the following year. However, I got a good deal of advice from professors and physicians urging me to go elsewhere, based primarily on the financial problems. The drop in the rankings also gave me jitters. I have to say, however, after a bit of independent research on the issue, and the fact that my heart has told me all along that I should be in MSSM, I still feel that it is a wonderful place for me to be. I wonder if all of you had a similar roller coaster of emotion involving attending next year. (Oh, did anybody get a chance to see the number os applicants accepted last year, it is a good deal larger than the class size and any figures I saw from other schools, I suppose this is due to concerns about the finances this time last year as well).

tianmom, you certainly have a right to feel how you do about nyc, its very understandable, esp. given your situation. But i hope i have some good news for you: i'm actually in NYC right now,... i had a conference to go to in DC, so i flew into laguardia on wed, stayed at my bro's apt in manhattan, and took a train (Amtrak) to and back from DC,... and it was butt-simple!! and i found out, i LOVE trains! It only takes 2hrs45min from nyc, penn station to union station in DC on the Acela Express,... or u can take the slower one (3hrs30min) for very cheap ($92 roundtrip) if you join StudentAdvantage, which u can do for $20 since you'll be a student. Trains are probably more time-efficient on short trips (not to mention cheaper) than planes b/c you dont have to worry about going through security, parking, getting their hrs before the flight (15 min before the scheduled departure on trains is plenty of time), there is plenty of leg room, far-reclining seats, power outlets if u want to recharge a cell phone or use a laptop, and you can be using the cell phone anytime. Not to mention the great scenery. the dining cart is fun too.

I didnt stay in aron hall during my interview, but got a good look at it during our tour. It is mostly the 3rd and 4th years that get the 6 bedroom suites (higher floors),... so i'm crossing my fingers that the 4 bedroom suites are a bit roomier. i wont let myself be disappointed though if they aren't. i see how others live in nyc, and i'm grateful for the space/rent that we are afforded by the school. for instance, nyu's rent is much higher, and they have to live in dorms with coed communal bathrooms. my brother's room in an apt in the village is a closet (not literally, but almost), and he pays 950/mo!!! what doesn't kill us makes us stronger ;), and people would jump at a deal like ours!

Budget wise, I think all of us med students will be in the same boat to a certain extent,... I'm going to try to be as frugal as i can despite the cost of living in nyc, but hopefully, we can help each other stick to a budget :)

Scriznik,
I definitely had a roller coaster of emotions about my decision to attend MSSM. I would never go through with the decision blind and just hoping for the best. I did my research as well. And in the end, i am very happy with my decision. About the class size, they began taking 120 per class starting last year. So if i'm correct, years 2, 3 and 4 for this past year have 105 students/class,... and year 1 has 120. Perhaps it is because they have a greater capacity to do so. I don't think 120 is a large class size in comparison to other med schools,... it seems about avg to me, or even on the lower side.

People seem to have some questions about housing so I'll clear things up.

If you live in the dorms, you'll be placed in a suite with 3 or 5 other people.

Your rent will be around 550 dollars for your own room with AC/Heat.

Please post other questions about Sinai if you have any.

Congrats to all who got accepted!!

Thanks, Little MD. My husband and I have been looking at all kinds of possibilities and we know we have to do what we have to do. You are right about the housing advantage. Even if we end up with smaller rooms, it's still a very good deal in NYC.

I haven't filed my FA application yet. Anyone out there who has done it? From what I understand based on the FA info sheet, you can get a ton of free gift money (plus $22,000 interest-free loans) if your EFC is really low. It's almost too good to be true. Don't get me wrong. I hope it's true. Has anybody already confirmed to be getting large need-based scholarship from MSSM? I would appreciate if you can share some info here.

Thanks a lot!

I am also interseted in how much is given in the awards packet. I just got one from Case and they have calculated my parental contribution to be 16,000+ (with a combined yearly income of 65,000 after taxes). Now I do not know if expecting parents to pay 25% of their yearly income is the standard, but if it is, I am screwed. I was looking forward to getting a good package from Sinai. Could someone maybe fill me in on their situation.

Hey there all -

About financial aid, I still haven't gotten my official financial aid package, but from what info they have from my NeedAccess application they gave me a pretty impressive quote:

$21,000 loans
$22,000 scholarship
$6,000 family contribution
-----------------------------------
$49,000 total cost

So their financial aid seems to be pretty darn awesome! :clap:

Tianmom and LittleMD

I stayed at Aron hall during my interview in one of the 4 person suites, and the rooms seemed to be about the same size as those in the 6 person suites. Though the rooms aren't the biggest, i still think it's awesome that they have:

- one bathroom for every 2 people
- a kitchen in every apartment
- a common room for every apartment

and all for the price of ~$500-$600/ month! that's excellent for NYC and imho better than the housing for any of the other Manhattan schools!

scriznik
yeah, i went through that rollercoaster of panic too. the financial situation is certainly worrisome, but after a lot of research of my own, i've come to the same conclusion as y'all. Sinai is a great school and it will continue to be a great school long after we're gone. though it took a plunge in the US News and World Report, i'm confident that it'll be coming back strong in a few years. and who cares about that list anyway!

btw, i don't think that the large number of people that they accept is due to the financial situation. i think most schools accept somewhere from 2x to 3x the number of places in their class (unless they have an explicit rule against it). for example, stanford accepts ~180 people to fill their 86 person class. i think Sinai accepts about 300...

anyway, can't wait to meet you all in august. :D

greenwitch

Edited: Oh, by the way, i'm 23 female and living in boston. any one else live near here? we could meet up!

Originally posted by greenwitch

though it took a plunge in the US News and World Report, i'm confident that it'll be coming back strong in a few years. and who cares about that list anyway!

ditto! That list,... don't get me started. There is bigger news in the US and World that they could be reporting on. There is little integrity in reducing institutions to a single number value.

Anyhow, I cannot put into words how excited I am to start M1 (scared too ;)). Did everyone get the email from the director of student affairs about some future dates such as move-in and orientation? It looks like they are planning a lot for orientation for us. Very exciting!
:clap:

i haven't gotten into sinai, but i was just wondering, when does orientation start for you guys?

I know classes start August 11th, but is there some pre-orientation activity the week before? I want to be there August 4th just to settle in BTW, I'm still waitlisted and...hope all works out in the next week and a half.

:rolleyes:

This may help (it is just cut and pasted from the email).

Here is a bit of information to help you with your summer and fall planning.

Move into Aron Hall August 9- 10, 2003
*Orientation starts August 11, 2003
Classes start August 12, 2003
Labor Day holiday September 1, 2003
Class of 2005 starts classes September 2, 2003
White Coat Ceremony September 22, 2003
Medical Student Research Day November 6, 2003

* Orientation activities will run throughout the first few weeks of school - we will send you a more detailed orientation schedule in July - the planning group is working on social events, visits to area museums, a Yankee or Met game, faculty dinners, small group Q and A sessions about becoming a medical student/doctor, and area tours (walking tour of East Harlem). You will get an orientation advisor prior to August 11th.

Greenwitch, that's a really impressive package. It's hard to walk away from 22K free gifts plus 21K interest free loans, isn't it? Anyway, thanks for the information.

I have been trying to contact the FA office for 2 days and so far no luck. Nobody is picking up the phone there. I even tried the admissions office and got nowhere. This is so frustrating. Anybody having the same trouble?:(

The offices are being moved or revamped (I was told on Tuesday), people should now be available.

I am also going to MSSM this fall. I got accepted by surprise 2 weeks ago and made the decision to go 1 week ago. I'm really psyched about moving down to NYC in 2 months. Is it too early to start forming study groups?

I was deciding between state schools and MSSM. Even though Sinai cost a little more, I know it will be an invaluable experience and a better education than the state schools can afford me.

Later folks,
Eric
MSSM '07

emtklein,

I am big into study groups, and have been throughout my premed year, so although it is definitely premature: anybody who loves to study with people who inevitably become your friends, give me the heads up and we can look for each other come August

what up my fellow Sinai peeps :clap:

Throwing my hat in the ring as one of your fellow 2007 classmates :) Can't wait to move to NYC, meet all of you, and get down MSSM style. This is an amazing opportunity we all have - I really can't wait to start.

But, just so you all know, I went over to Fenway yesterday and bought my official Nomar home jersey so I can wreak havoc over at Yankee Stadium whenever the Sox come to town. Let's make no mistake about where my loyalties lie :laugh:

so I'm 23, male, and living in Boston (duh). Greenwitch, we should meet up!

Anyone have big summer plans before we move in?

I just wanted to say congratulations to you all and good luck to those on the waitlist. I'll be a second year this fall at Sinai and will welcome you all to histology in the Spring as one of your TA's. I just wanted to say confirm a few things though:

1. Sinai is fun!!! Absolutely no horror stories so far. For me personally, I found med school to be easier than my undergrad pre-med experience. We are pass/fail the first two years so there is no competitiion. But people study just as hard as if they were going to receive actual grades so the mean tends to remain high (also due to the fact that the faculty are not out to trick you and make their tests very fair). I found the faculty to be very supportive and personable. They want you to do well and will you help you in any means possible. I chose Sinai over other schools mainly because of the carefree, relaxed, well-rounded and HAPPY students. First year was truly just that. I remained involved in extracurricular activities including community service, research, job, clubbing, jam sessions with my classmate etc. In other words, you will definitely have a life at Sinai

2. Housing is pretty expensive yes - if you plan to live off-campus. I was lucky to get a studio 3 blocks from the hospital for $800 so don't give up if you are apt-hunting. Check out http://newyork.craigslist.org/, www.ardorny.com, www.lootusa.com, www.villagevoice.com, www.nytimes.com

3. As for study groups - not everyone uses them, but I found my study group to be of tremendous help and support. It was the 4 of us and we met roughly 2 weeks before each class to go over notes, problem sets and review questions. You'll get to know your classmates particularly well during the month of August and so that's the perfect time to form a group for your upcoming fall classes.

4. Every school goes through financial crises at one time or another. To be truthful, when I was nterviewing a year ago, it was more or less kept quiet. The major concern we had as students was the paperless curriculum (most lecture notes are placed online and we have to print them out ourselves) - I'm sure that was due to the budget constraints. Other than that, I believe the hospital is separate from the school, and even though we're linked, we as students, weren't really exposed to the financially problems...although I must say, our tuition and health insurance was increased for next year. But now, we're just en par with the other private NYC schools. I must say that the package at Sinai is decent though. Even though I've got quite a bit of loans - they're of the good kind (deferred until after residency and low interest rate). I was offered a half-ride at another private NYC med school, but the remainder of the budget was in UNsubsidized loans - so it would had been more expensive to attend there in the long run.

If you have any questions whatsoever, please feel free to email me!

I'm currently on vacation in Reno but will be back on Manhattan on August 10th. I was assigned to fifth floor Aron Hall and look forward to meeting all of you! Maybe some of you will live on my floor if not my suite :) I am female, 21, and really nervous about starting medical school. Enjoy the next two weeks everyone!

hello all,

I am currently romping around spain, but I just got an email from the ?rents saying I have a bill from Mt. Sinai for $6,000+ due at registration. Now, there is absolutely no way in hell i can pay for this unless it is deferred until after my loans come through. Have any of you recieved this and do you know the details as to whether or not it is deferred?

I'll be moving in on the 7th (Aron 3rd floor). Much excited about NYC.

i'm movin' in on August 8th, aron hall 14th floor, yeah!

greenwitch

movin' in August 8th,

8th floor represent, woot! :clap: :laugh:

I'm moving into Aron Hall 10th floor either the 7th or 8th. Leaving Boston tomorrow! Starting to get very excited!!

Scriz: yep, I got the bill as well, but until my fin. aid comes through, I won't be able to pay it either. The letter says that they don't start to charge a penalty fee until October 1st, so I wouldn't be too worried. You can get a loan approved very quickly nowadays. If you're still worried, try to get in touch with the fin. aid office to discuss the situation.

GoPats, I couldn't have hoped for a better Username from a future classmate :D My Tom Brady jersey is one of the first things going into my pile of "crap to bring with me to medical school," which is slowly growing on my bedroom floor. We should catch some Pats games whenever they head over to crush the now hapless J-E-T-S.

Hey M1-ers!

I'm moving into Aron Hall 14th floor, aug 5 or 6!!!! very excited and anxious! Can't wait to meet you all :)

Greenwitch, we're on the same floor,.... hope its a nice view up there ;)

JumboFool,

While I have to admit that I'm originally from Long Island, I've been a transplated New Englander (RI then Boston) for many many years. I wear my Sox hat with pride. It'll be good to have someone to watch games with.

See you soon!

Does anyone know if the dorms in Aron Hall have air-con?

I think I remember someone telling me that they do, but I'm not too sure anymore. If anyone who has alrealy moved in could let me know, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Just fyi, I called the housing office today, and the suites in Aron Hall have central a/c systems.

Why the won't give me any contact info for my roommates is beyond me. Watch us all show up with 6 microwaves.

I moved in yesterday, and will confirm for you guys that yes,... there is A/C, and plenty of it. the furniture in our living area is a bit shabby, but the bedroom stuff isn't so bad. you'll get a bed that has 2 large drawers in the base, a desk, a bookshelf, and a dresser. each bedroom has its own a/c unit, so you can adjust the temp to your own liking. the kitchen has a frig, and stove/oven, but no microwave. i lucked out with a duplex, which i guess is unheard of for 1st years. so if you are on the 14th or 11th floor, you get a duplex,... otherwise, its a one floor suite.

if you guys have any questions about aron hall, (the gym, getting packages, closet space, anything) PM me.

see you all soon!