*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any schools doing in-person interviews this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
weird question but, it's fine to use AirPods during the interview right? Like they're not going to think I'm getting listening to answers directly from my international spy colleague or something. Sorry, first virtual interview so I have no idea.

weird question but, it's fine to use AirPods during the interview right? Like they're not going to think I'm getting listening to answers directly from my international spy colleague or something. Sorry, first virtual interview so I have no idea.
I think so, but why can't you use your computer speakers? You do need to be in a quiet place without background chat or noise.

I think so, but why can't you use your computer speakers? You do need to be in a quiet place without background chat or noise.
I work from home and I've taken meetings just using my computer speaker, according to my boss it echoes occasionally which makes it difficult to hear me so I usually take meetings using airpods.

Reactions: 1 user
I just posted this in the Republic of Texas thread, but I would like to add it here as well.

Medical student Scholarships are mainly affiliated with the school you enroll in, and other financial support for most students comes in the form of loans.
However, remind yourselves to take a look once or twice a year, even after you begin medical school, for scholarships you could qualify for.
Some scholarships are for med school upperclassmen specifically. The one I linked below is for EY 2023 new med students.

TMA (Texas Medical Association) sponsors scholarships for minority students in the incoming class, and each year will select 15 students who will receive $10,000 each.

Look at the information here for EY 2023 students and see if you qualify, then check the requirements and apply before the deadline.
Good luck!
TMA Minority Scholarship Program

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have interviews with Baylor/UTSW/UTMB this cycle. I was complete with most places early-mid July. LM 75, IS, ORM. Decent ECs, nothing super special. Anyway, I feel like I'm a long shot at Baylor/UTSW, decent shot at UTMB. But I'd really love more interviews with places like McGovern/Tech/TAMU/Long as I feel like I'd have a better shot at those institutions. Is there a reason why I have interviews with more "prestigious" places and not some of the others? Am I overthinking? Is it way too early to be concerned about this? Please tell me if I am being too neurotic. I would just love some input. Thanks

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have interviews with Baylor/UTSW/UTMB this cycle. I was complete with most places early-mid July. LM 75, IS, ORM. Decent ECs, nothing super special. Anyway, I feel like I'm a long shot at Baylor/UTSW, decent shot at UTMB. But I'd really love more interviews with places like McGovern/Tech/TAMU/Long as I feel like I'd have a better shot at those institutions. Is there a reason why I have interviews with more "prestigious" places and not some of the others? Am I overthinking? Is it way too early to be concerned about this? Please tell me if I am being too neurotic. I would just love some input. Thanks
If only we had some insight into the minds of adcoms. I get my mind all over the place trying to figure out what certain schools are looking for, but in the end, I think we’re all just playing a waiting game. Best of luck and congrats on what you’ve got so far. I’m sure the other will come before you know it.

Those schools will have several more months of interviews, you’re doing great

You’re overthinking it. Med school applications are a waiting game. The process is still early, and you’re already doing better than ~90% of applicants at this point.

Also, a little piece of advice. While some state schools extend IIs to virtually all IS applicants, from my understanding Texas schools would not extend a II unless they were seriously considering accepting you. Do NOT approach your interviews with UTSW or Baylor as if you don’t have a shot at getting in. You clearly do and you belong there, so make sure you’re confident because otherwise the lack of confidence can come out during an interview and that’ll hurt your chances.

Reactions: 2 users
i’m in the same situation as you. i’m sure the mid tier interviews will come in due time.

If it makes you feel a little better I am in the exact same situation verbatim. (Same schools want to interview me, same stats IS ORM, and I was complete a little later than you.

It’s all about patience in this process and the way I think about it is this: If those AMAZING schools want to interview you you probably have a decently strong app.

Getting a medical school interview is a massive achievement, give yourself some credit (especially at highly ranked schools like UTSW and Baylor). I know it’s commonly said that UTSW auto invites based on stats but we know that Baylor and UTMB look pretty intensely at your application as a whole because otherwise they’d be inviting everyone with high stats for an interview (this may be the case and please if anyone has more information correct me if I’m wrong).

You’re doing AWESOME, three interviews within a month of being complete is something to be proud of . This entire process is shrouded in mystery, there are people who match with 1 interview and people who don’t match with 6. Go into your interviews with a positive mindset, do your best and then go focus on your hobbies/ECs and wait. It’s easier said than done, I found myself overthinking my first interview already but nothing can be done about it and all I can really do is wait and see.

Good luck and you’re doing great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys im planning to apply next cycle and was wondering what type of people usually apply OOS if from texas? Im URM and have good EC but would want to shoot for a top med school but based on stats that say the many dont leave texas is that because not many texans apply los ?

Hey guys im planning to apply next cycle and was wondering what type of people usually apply OOS if from texas? Im URM and have good EC but would want to shoot for a top med school but based on stats that say the many dont leave texas is that because not many texans apply los ?
About 15% of Texans end up going OOS and 85% stay in the best state.
To get accepted out of state you usually need to be:
a) applying to MD/PhD or MSTP programs
b) a member of a sought-after URM group, plus decent grades & MCAT
c) Have grades + MCAT in the top 5% from any demographic group.

The main reason most stay in Texas is the cost of medical school (1/3 to 1/2 what it costs to go OOS)
AND the fact that OOS admissions directors know that if they interview a Texan, the Texan will probably stay in Texas due to the lower cost of medical school.

Did you do the homework I suggested with LMSA and SNMA yet?

has anyone IS not heard back from any texas schools, and submitted early?

Yes, and I’ve been interviewed out of state. Hopefully all will work out. I’m sure there’s plenty of people in this position.

Reactions: 3 users
Are there any OOS students currently at a Texas school in this thread (either undergrad or med school)? I would love to hear how the adjustment to Texas was for you in terms of culture, quality of life, climate, etc...

I am particularly worried about being an "outsider" trying to make friends with lifelong Texans (i.e., people tend to make friends who are similar to themselves/their identities). I felt it during my first interview as the only OOS interviewee in a group of 20 people. People would talk and make references to some aspect of a shared culture (one person went as far as saying, "you wouldn't get this being from the North and all."). I definitely felt excluded and I want to know if that is something I might have to endure throughout med school. Other than that, my TAMU interview was amazing and I would still rank them over my several top-50 interviews.

Are there any OOS students currently at a Texas school in this thread (either undergrad or med school)? I would love to hear how the adjustment to Texas was for you in terms of culture, quality of life, climate, etc...

I am particularly worried about being an "outsider" trying to make friends with lifelong Texans (i.e., people tend to make friends who are similar to themselves/their identities). I felt it during my first interview as the only OOS interviewee in a group of 20 people. People would talk and make references to some aspect of a shared culture (one person went as far as saying, "you wouldn't get this being from the North and all."). I definitely felt excluded and I want to know if that is something I might have to endure throughout med school. Other than that, my TAMU interview was amazing and I would still rank them over my several top-50 interviews.
You can fit in anywhere, if you want to. Just don't start every sentence in a conversation with "Well, in California, we..."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

So I'm a little different since I wasn't raised in Texas, visited a bunch because I was born here but didn't really have any friends in Texas until I started attending university here. I have NEVER felt like an outsider, no one has ever made me feel excluded and honestly they are more interested to learn about my life more than anything. I didn't even know what Whataburger or Buckee's were when I started school and I never got any hate, just some people who were excited to show me what they were.

TL;DR Don't worry about it. As someone who's moved around A LOT there are always people willing to teach you about their lives and willing to learn about yours. Moving is great because you learn how many different aspects there are to a person's life and how different everyone really is. 10/10 recommend, especially in Texas where everyone is super friendly.

I have an interest in extending my app to TMDSAS this cycle (I know it's super late, I got to it after getting my AMCAS schools in). Just wondering, are Texas schools harsh to reapplicants? Are there any Texas schools that are less harsh to reapplicants?

I have an interest in extending my app to TMDSAS this cycle (I know it's super late, I got to it after getting my AMCAS schools in). Just wondering, are Texas schools harsh to reapplicants? Are there any Texas schools that are less harsh to reapplicants?
I wouldn’t say any of them are necessarily harsh to reapplicants (granted they want to see improvement in the last application).

I am a reapplicant and I have 4 II to TMDSAS this year!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't recommend starting a TMDSAS app this late, especially as an OOS applicant. Why not?
1. TX schools take at most 10% OOS into each class.
2. TMDSAS app will take at least 3 weeks to be verified and sent to schools, and that's after you write your 2 new essays and cut your AMCAS activity descriptions down to 300 characters each.
3. The biggest reason is that most of the interviews are extended to those who submit their applications in May, June & July.
The graph below is from 2019, but it displays the facts in a way that's easy to understand. Read this graph as: 29% of the interviews go to those who submitted their TMDSAS primary in May, and so on. IF you can get it submitted in September, you have a 6-7% chance of an interview.
EY 2019 interview chances by date of submission.jpg

In conclusion, @majorlazer4196, I recommend you see how it goes this cycle with your AMCAS and AACOMAS applications.
If you are unsuccessful this year, you could add TMDSAS next year, but submit in May or June.

I don't recommend starting a TMDSAS app this late, especially as an OOS applicant. Why not?
2. TMDSAS app will take at least 3 weeks to be verified and sent to schools, and that's after you write your 2 new essays and cut your AMCAS activity descriptions down to 300 characters each.
3. The biggest reason is that most of the interviews are extended to those who submit their applications in May, June & July.
The graph below is from 2019, but it displays the facts in a way that's easy to understand. Read this graph as: 29% of the interviews go to those who submitted their TMDSAS primary in May, and so on. IF you can get it submitted in September, you have a 6-7% chance of an interview.
View attachment 359365

In conclusion, @majorlazer4196, I recommend you see how it goes this cycle with your AMCAS and AACOMAS applications.
If you are unsuccessful this year, you could add TMDSAS next year, but submit in May or June.
In the 29% and 38% figures from May and June, how many schools did those applicants who got Interview Invites apply for in Texas schools? And is this graph only from OOS applicant data?

In the 29% and 38% figures from May and June, how many schools did those applicants who got Interview Invites apply for in Texas schools? And is this graph only from OOS applicant data?
This is total applicants. The data isn’t broken down into how many schools

View attachment 359365

I regret not preparing better for TMDSAS. The additional required essay that TMDSAS had for their primary application caught me off guard. I was so focused on AMCAS that I didn't focus enough on Texas schools and I really liked the geographical area.

Though I did apply to TCU, which was the only Texas school available on AMCAS. So I still have sorta 1 egg in the Texas basket.

I regret not preparing better for TMDSAS. The additional required essay that TMDSAS had for their primary application caught me off guard. I was so focused on AMCAS that I didn't focus enough on Texas schools and I really liked the geographical area.

Though I did apply to TCU, which was the only Texas school available on AMCAS. So I still have sorta 1 egg in the Texas basket.
It's still difficult to get an acceptance as an OOS student given 90% of seats go to texas residents. You typically need a very high MCAT to make up for it. TCU is private so you have as good a shot as anyone else!

It's still difficult to get an acceptance as an OOS student given 90% of seats go to texas residents. You typically need a very high MCAT to make up for it. TCU is private so you have as good a shot as anyone else!
Yeah, TCU's private status is helpful to eliminate in-state preference. But the drawback of TCU is the private school-level tuition figure, $65k+ a year.

View attachment 359365

What's the source of the data? TMDSAS or from some self-reported site?

What's the source of the data? TMDSAS or from some self-reported site?
It's data from TMDSAS.
TMDSAS started emphasizing earlier submission in 2017 or so, and produced the data charts to show applicants why it matters.
Reading these charts has driven earlier submission, so that recent years show an even more marked difference.
The 2019 chart I shared above is the last one I've seen produced by TMDSAS on this particular topic.
Are the numbers in late months so low because this emphasis was effective, and there are very few submitting a primary in September & October? Or is it because most schools are mostly finished sending out interview invitations by then?
The graphs show just numbers, not motives :)
I attached the graphs from 2016 and 2017 for anyone who's interested. Notice that the deadline for submission used to be October 1 and not November 1 as it is now.

Attachments

• EY17,18-ApplyingEarlyTMDSAS.pdf
    974.2 KB · Views: 90
My TMDSAS sGPA is significantly lower than my AMCAS sGPA, by about .25. Should I communicate this to the schools somehow? TMDSAS denied every single appeal I gave them even when the syllabi showed that xyz class was biology/chem based.

• Care
My TMDSAS sGPA is significantly lower than my AMCAS sGPA, by about .25. Should I communicate this to the schools somehow? TMDSAS denied every single appeal I gave them even when the syllabi showed that xyz class was biology/chem based.
One of my science classes was converted to non-science on TMDSAS too. When I asked my advisor about it, they told me to leave it because TMDSAS is very strict on what they allow to be classified as science, unless there's a clear mistake (i.e. OCHEM II has been classified as non-science). My guess is that if they changed it for you they would have to change it for everyone else they put it as non-science for. They probably don't want to do that. Anything that is social or behavioral science related, they'll reject. Mine wasn't even that and it got rejected. There was a lot of writing in the class, so they didn't consider it science and put it as English. I feel you.

I don't know if TMDSAS schools will consider your AMCAS GPA unfortunately as they are calculated differently too (no +/- system on TMDSAS), but mine are different too if it makes you feel better. I think many people are in the same boat where AMCAS is higher.

One of my science classes was converted to non-science on TMDSAS too. When I asked my advisor about it, they told me to leave it because TMDSAS is very strict on what they allow to be classified as science, unless there's a clear mistake (i.e. OCHEM II has been classified as non-science). My guess is that if they changed it for you they would have to change it for everyone else they put it as non-science for. They probably don't want to do that. Anything that is social or behavioral science related, they'll reject. Mine wasn't even that and it got rejected. There was a lot of writing in the class, so they didn't consider it science and put it as English. I feel you.

I don't know if TMDSAS schools will consider your AMCAS GPA unfortunately as they are calculated differently too (no +/- system on TMDSAS), but mine are different too if it makes you feel better. I think many people are in the same boat where AMCAS is higher.
It’s SO frustrating- my sGPA in TMDSAS is just barely below a 3.0 because some of my GPA recovery classes weren’t counted. One school looked past it but I doubt many others will.

• Care
Does TMDSAS notify AMCAS when an applicant applies to Texas schools? Just wondering if other schools within AMCAS will know an applicant has applied to schools in the TMDSAS system or not.

Does TMDSAS notify AMCAS when an applicant applies to Texas schools? Just wondering if other schools within AMCAS will know an applicant has applied to schools in the TMDSAS system or not.
Good question - I don't know the answer, but I don't think so.
However, there is a checkbox on the TMDSAS app to answer the questions:
Are you applying to AMCAS schools? and Are you applying to AACOMAS schools?

It's data from TMDSAS.
TMDSAS started emphasizing earlier submission in 2017 or so, and produced the data charts to show applicants why it matters.
Reading these charts has driven earlier submission, so that recent years show an even more marked difference.
The 2019 chart I shared above is the last one I've seen produced by TMDSAS on this particular topic.
Are the numbers in late months so low because this emphasis was effective, and there are very few submitting a primary in September & October? Or is it because most schools are mostly finished sending out interview invitations by then?
The graphs show just numbers, not motives :)
I attached the graphs from 2016 and 2017 for anyone who's interested. Notice that the deadline for submission used to be October 1 and not November 1 as it is now.

Wow. Thank you. Does Submission Date equal to when everything is completed including LORs, secondaries, transcripts and such?

So this cycle is the first time I've had an interview prior to prematch. In order to curb my expectations, when is the time I can hear back? I know prematch begins October 15th but does that mean I will not hear anything until, at least, that day?

Wow. Thank you. Does Submission Date equal to when everything is completed including LORs, secondaries, transcripts and such?
Submission date is submission of your primary app to TMDSAS. You have more time to get your other supporting items in.

So this cycle is the first time I've had an interview prior to prematch. In order to curb my expectations, when is the time I can hear back? I know prematch begins October 15th but does that mean I will not hear anything until, at least, that day?
That's right. Many of the TMDSAS schools will send out pre-match offers on October 15th, some wait until November.
Pre-Match offers can go out any time between October 15, 2022 and January 29, 2023.
McGovern and especially Long send out very few pre-match offers.

Submission date is submission of your primary app to TMDSAS. You have more time to get your other supporting items in.
Thank you. I submitted early, but school sent out committee letter really late - like in August late. So I got IIs from very low-ranking schools compared to my stats and ECs. Luckily I got As for all the IIs I had last cycle and am glad to be where I am.

I also like to advise current/future premeds at my undergrad so I've been trying to decide. If someone were to ask me if they should go for the committee letter or not, should I tell them seek other avenues?

That's right. Many of the TMDSAS schools will send out pre-match offers on October 15th, some wait until November.
Pre-Match offers can go out any time between October 15, 2022 and January 29, 2023.
McGovern and especially Long send out very few pre-match offers.
And correct me if I’m wrong, OOS applicants do not create a rank list nor do we “pre-match.” OOS are simply offered an acceptance starting October 15th?

I wish the TMDSAS handbook was more fleshed out for OOS scenarios.

And correct me if I’m wrong, OOS applicants do not create a rank list nor do we “pre-match.” OOS are simply offered an acceptance starting October 15th?

I wish the TMDSAS handbook was more fleshed out for OOS scenarios.
That’s right, OOS applicants are eligible for admissions offers beginning October 15.
There are a couple of rules regarding holding more than one Texas acceptance that do apply to OOS people, and I will explain those closer to Match Day in March

Last edited:
1 or 2 months in my case.

My TMDSAS interviews were slightly after Oct 15th. Got acceptance from 1st school about 2.5 months later in Jan. Visited the school. Loved it. Then matched to a completely different school on match day.

Random question but since Oct. 15th is a Saturday, will schools wait till the 17th to start announcing prematches?

Random question but since Oct. 15th is a Saturday, will schools wait till the 17th to start announcing prematches?
I’d imagine, but there might be 1 or 2 schools that will send them on Saturday

Can someone explain how TCOM offers so many acceptances and what that means? For Fall 2019, 460 acceptances were apparently offered for an entering class size of 230. Does this mean they had to extend all those offers upfront to approximate their target class size? Or is that how far in their waitlist they had to go before they got 230 individuals to matriculate? And do the other TMDSAS schools use a similar method to fill their classes? I read something somewhere about TAMU over-accepting at some point and I guess that's got me a little confused.

Can someone explain how TCOM offers so many acceptances and what that means? For Fall 2019, 460 acceptances were apparently offered for an entering class size of 230. Does this mean they had to extend all those offers upfront to approximate their target class size? Or is that how far in their waitlist they had to go before they got 230 individuals to matriculate? And do the other TMDSAS schools use a similar method to fill their classes? I read something somewhere about TAMU over-accepting at some point and I guess that's got me a little confused.

It’s a fine art knowing how to manage the offers. Some people will get another acceptance they prefer over TCOM and then TCOM will move on to others they have on the WL.
The only time the behind the scenes process will affect you is if a school over- offers and has to do something to make it work, like giving the “extra” students an option to enroll a year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.