OFFICIAL - USC Class of 2007!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by doctor7
as for the self-righteous jab...let me remind you that just about everyone in the medical track (on both sides of the politic fence) has an interest in helping the less fortunate. please get over yourself.

Nope. A lot of people are just in it for the $$$. But hey, if you want to believe everybody is conservative at USC, knock yourself out.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe that I can actually join this thread!!
I got the call yesterday, and got in off the WL:clap:

I have some questions for you guys who have orientation info already. What is the schedule like from August 14 (later afternoon)-August 16th...I know it's not a huge deal, but I am in a wedding and need to figure out which the pre-wedding stuff I can be back in SF for.

Please let me know anything else that you find important as well...

Can't wait to meet all you guys!

CCHieb's

Members don't see this ad :)
What is with all of the conservative/liberal nonsense. I could have sworn you couldn't tell the difference between them these days. If I am wrong...please feel free to define.

Congrats CCheib. We interviewed on the same day and I had my fingers crossed for you. See you on the 11th. If you have any questions about orientation, pm me.

Congratulations CCHieb. To bad you will have to dump the other thread that you normally post on. But I'm glad I will be seeing you next year.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats CCHieb! That was a long time coming.

yay CChiebs!!!:clap:

Thanks everyone...I am very excited.

I can't wait to meet all of you, do some partying, find an apartment, quite myj ob (oh wait, I aready did that...now all I have planned is to get paid for one more week while I surf the web, and collect school supplies from our stock room---may that comment have no affect on your opinion of me):D

Anyway, so, there is already a quiz on the 15th?? I though that week was just orientation? Look like I will be missing the rehersal...

If the quiz is during orientation it isnt important and dont miss out on anything (seriously) to make it in time for orientation, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: we'll see you in 23 days! :eek:

Hey guys! Could you guys post your stats in here so prospective USC-Keck applicants like myself could have an idea of what it takes to get into USC Medical? Sorry to bring a bit of seriousness to what was a pretty a light-hearted thread full of excited USC admits. Congratulations to all who were admitted! I hope I can achieve the same someday.

Berkeley '05

Could you guys post your stats in here so prospective USC-Keck applicants like myself could have an idea of what it takes to get into USC Medical?

MCAT:42
GPA: 3.94

:laugh: j/k, as long as you are competitive enough and/or have something interesting about you to get an interview, you have a great shot, depending on your interview of course, which is laid back here.

Seriously if you have an MCAT in the range of 28+, with a GPA of 3.3+ its not impossible to get in (you probably should bring peace to the middle east also). The best thing you can do is make yourself competitive, at least average if you cant get above. From there on its all you.

Good Luck:)

I'd say on average the person who is accepted to Keck have a GPA of 3.61 and an MCAT of 32.4.

I'd say that if you are looking to get into USC, you need about a 3.5 and a 31, with the people much lower than that have great personal experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
Hey guys! Could you guys post your stats in here so prospective Georgetown applicants like myself could have an idea of what it takes to get into Georgetown Medical? Sorry to bring a bit of seriousness to what was a pretty a light-hearted thread full of excited Georgetown admits. :) Congratulations to all who were admitted. I hope I can achieve the same someday.

Berkeley '05

:laugh: :laugh:

lol. I didn't want to take the time to write another message so I just deleted and inserted the new school name. It's just quicker that way. :)

P.S.: When you say 3.5..do you mean 3.5 overall or a 3.5 premed gpa?

Berkeley '05

I mean 3.5 overall and 3.5 science. But this is just my opinion, and has no real scientific backing. There are a few people with 3.3's and 37, so it varies.

I guess I'll have to hold your hand through this one...i know the concept of reading followed by responding can get a little confusing sometimes :rolleyes:

Originally posted by doctor7
just about everyone in the medical track (on both sides of the politic fence) has an interest in helping the less fortunate
Originally posted by Jalby
Nope. A lot of people are just in it for the $$$.
--i want to toss you a novel idea: ever consider that people who like to help others could also want to make money, too...or are these mutually exclusive to you?

But hey, if you want to believe everybody is conservative at USC, knock yourself out.
--dear god, if i believed that i'd be a much more pleasant person. there's this thing called critical reading. try it on my postings...at no point do i hint at the idea that "everybody is conservative at USC"...what orifice did you yank that out of. i don't even think an ESL kid could have made that confusion.

Speaking as the president of AMA here at USC, I will say one last thing then I will drop the subject. It's one thing to say you care about the patients. It's quite another thing to elect officials who want to close the only county hospital that deals with people trying to learn to walk after injuries and cut funding for medical proceedures for those who need it most. Look at the bottom of the page for all the proposed cuts

What are you people arguing about??????????

I've gotten the recommendations and will be down next weekend to check out some places. Does anyone have any specific leads, or know of anyplace that has people interested in being roomates in addition to the "ads" sent out with the packets?

btw, Jalby, another good choice, no? :cool:

See you in a couple weeks ...

-Dave

Originally posted by bcdnw

btw, Jalby, another good choice, no? :cool:

lol. Never really had a doubt in my mind. But I heard Bounty needs a roommate. Her phone number is....Wait, that might get me in trouble.

I know we already talked about this but anybody know which cell service works best in S. Pas and on campus? Anybody else living in S. Pas? When do we join up with AMA and Salerni, etc? Thanks in advance!!!

Let's see, I have Cingular and it works everywhere except for a few parts of my room. It's definatley better than other people's who don't get reception in hte MDL, so I would go with it.

I don't know of anybody living in South Pas from your class. Everybody I know, I talked into living in Monterrey Hills ;)

You get to join all of the clubs you want your first Wednesday at the student life dinner. You might get an aplication to join Salerni in the mail, but were not sure if we are going to do that.

Your Welcome in Hindsight.

What have people chosen for their loan providers, and why? I'm looking at all of them, and it's hard to say which is the right one for me. I'm in the boat that I plan on taking out the full amount in loans each year (and I better live long enough to pay it all back!). If anybody would prefer to not go into personals, I would also appreciate a PM or something. In any case, I need to move on this quickly, so I can have some cash on hand, ASAP.

Looking forward to meeting people in just over two weeks!

What have people chosen for their loan providers, and why? I'm looking at all of them, and it's hard to say which is the right one for me. I'm in the boat that I plan on taking out the full amount in loans each year (and I better live long enough to pay it all back!). If anybody would prefer to not go into personals, I would also appreciate a PM or something. In any case, I need to move on this quickly, so I can have some cash on hand, ASAP.

Looking forward to meeting people in just over two weeks!

Sounds like me. I chose my provider b/c rates and total amount allowed, and most importantly they had the longest grace period during residency.

Its AccessGroup i believe, something like that. I get my feds and private loans from them.

OK...a few questions:

1) is motercycle/scooter parking as complicated as normal parking at school, or is there a spot for them?

2) For anyone who got in late off the WL...how long did it take for you to get you financial award...and what the hell am I going to do to get the ball rolling right now?

3) Are they as stickler about immunization b/f school starts as the papers indicate...I basically don't remember if I have had my Hep B shots, and I know that they are given over a longer period of time than I have before school starts...
--Are the hep b shots required for undergrad, because then I am ---sure that I got them, I just can't find any paperwork.:confused:

BCDNM...I e-mail you about apartments, ect... ;)

let me know anything that you know....I just want to be in the know:cool:

Lets talk about gyms. I heard that the HSC gym is useless. Does anyone make the drive over to UPC to the gym? Any good gyms in S. pas-Pas area? What about tennis clubs? WHo do you have to sleep with to get a key to the one tennis court on campus? ANd, finally, does anyone play on the intramural teams?

mfleur,

I already have an LA Fitness membership so I think I'm just gonna keep it and go to the one in Pasadena (on Lake). I think Jalby said that a lot of the med students use that gym.
As for going to the UPC gym, i don't think i want to fight over machines with undergrad girls, especially undergrad girls in SoCal. That's why i didn't use the UCLA gym when I worked there!

CChiebs,

i think if you dont have immunity to hep B, then you just have to sign that form that says you will get the vaccine series. You dont have to have them all before school starts.

I have a 24 hour fitness membership, and I know they have at least three clubs in the vicinity of USC. I know at least one of them is a sports club. For tennis....I have never been to the area to play. However, I'm willing to bet there are a couple of nice courts in pasadena. Anyone play basketball?

Originally posted by mfleur
WHo do you have to sleep with to get a key to the one tennis court on campus?
I might be able to get you the keys to my pool and hot tub. ;)

ANd, finally, does anyone play on the intramural teams?
If you can get a team, Salerni will pay for it. We tried to get a football team, but the old Salerni Sports guy dropped the ball.

As for Basketball, there is an E-mail list of BBall players, and tehy play about once or twice a week.

gyms, join one. UPC gym is cool for a change and the associated eye candy of course. Oh yeah, its also great to poke fun at the dental students, they wear scrubs 24/7, even while working out!

Do not live too far on the west side! I am not sure if youve heard about this thing, traffic.., yeah you will never be on time to the things that matter.

parking a motorcycle is cake, you get premium parking at the free lot, and traffic is a breeze. But, if you get hit its nasty i promise and you will see for yourselves.

cheers

Is there any kind of dress code for classes? What do people wear to GA Lab?

Is there any kind of dress code for classes? What do people wear to GA Lab?

Friday is casual day. All other days ending in Y are also casual days.

I'm thinking a skirt and sandals are appropriate for GA lab...
just kidding, you will all be seeing me in my favorite jeans like every single day.

Can someone tell me about AOA at USC? No, I'm not a gunner...I just keep hearing about it.

So...this will probably be my last day of posting for a while, as it is the last day of my job, and the last day of fast internet until I find a place to live. I will be in LA on the 28th-30th looking for apartments, so if anyone has any leads please, or words of support, information about where the party is at, or you just feel lonely and want to chat, e-mail me at [email protected] (I will be checking that...)

Can't wait for everything to happen:clap:
I told myself that if I got "the call", my life would completely change in the matter of a week. And it has! A week ago today I got the call, now I am unemployed, homeless, hoping my savings lasts until my loan check comes in, and terribly excited about all of it...hope to hear from a few of you'all.

CCHieb's

Looks like I might have run into a roadblock for now. I've seen a couple places in Monterey Hills and have some leads on some others, but it appears I'm now desperately searching for a roommate due to circumstances beyond everyone's control.

So, if there's anyone out there still looking for housing, PM me immediately and please leave your phone number. I'm in LA for the next 24 hours and I'd like to get something done while I'm down here.

Btw, I'm 22, male, fairly clean, and very chill. But it's late in the game, so I'm not super picky. If anyone is looking, or knows someone who is looking, or has any ideas, let me know. See you all in less than two weeks!

So, if there's anyone out there still looking for housing, PM me immediately
i'm sure you have but it's late and i've been moving **** all day, so have you tried the people in the ad sheets or called rena thornsten to see if there are any more prospects?

Can someone tell me about AOA at USC? No, I'm not a gunner...I just keep hearing about it.

The first rule about gunners is that they say things like "No, I'm not a gunner.":laugh:

Seriously, though, it is not going to do you much good to worry much about AOA before you have had your first class and taken your first set of exams.

USC has the Gamma chapter of AOA and approximately 1/6th of each class will make it. A smaller segment of that group (6-7 students) will get "Junior" AOA, which is basically those who have the highest achievement in the first three years. This group is selected by chapter members in the class above them. Then, the small newly elected group reviews the academic performance and CVs of the students in the top 25% of the class and makes their selections. The decisions are almost entirely based on academic performance.

But seriously...relax and get used to school. Find out how you stack up after the first few sets of exams...then worry about AOA.

OtoNerd

Class of 2004

I'll see y'all in 2 weeks!

Originally posted by OtoNerd
The first rule about gunners is that they say things like "No, I'm not a gunner.":laugh:

The second rule is that they always complain about how hard it is to get Derm (insert Ortho, ENT, Ophtho) and think it is there god given right no matter what their score to get that residency in the location of thier choice.

Hey everyone
Did you all fill out your white coat forms? I dont know what size to pick and i def. dont feel like going to try any on....

For my white coat I used my sportscoat size. Then again I don't know what you would do if you were a woman.

Heeellllpppp!

I had all of my roommate/apt. worked out and my roommate just got in somewhere else. Does anyone need a roommate and a place. Its in S. Pas, 2 bed/2 bath 750/mo.
Call Michelle 805-453-5553.

Hi all,

Maybe no one needs reminding, but just in case, don't forget to fill out the required online AAMC questionnaire before registration on the 11th.

See you guys at the BBQ next week!

Well....I was in LA for about 72 hours and I did all of the following:
--Drove a huge U-haul from SF all by myself
--went crazy applying for apartment
--found apartment in Los Feliz (which is V. fun!)
--broke my back moving in
--slept in my new room for the very first time

I figure thats pretty good work for such a short stint...so I will go ahead and pat myself on the back (but not too hard because it really does hurt!)

I will now have a week to chill before school starts. If anyone has AC, and wants someone to hang out with... e-mail me: [email protected] (because I have yet to buy the Air conditioner, and OH MY GOD it is hot in LA)

CCHieb's

So we start school in 10 hours. You guys have 174 hours left. So how many of you guys are going to make it to the BBQ??? I remember I couldn't wait back in the day.

If any of you guys are interested, my class will be at a happy hour up in Pasadena from 4-6 PM and maybe a lot longer. We will be at:

HAPPY HOUR at DeLacey's Club 41
this MONDAY

$3 drinks, beers and food

Directions: 110 North
Turns into Arroy Parkway
Left on Colorado
left on south De Lacey

Maybe some of you guys will make it out.

So how many of you guys are going to make it to the BBQ??? I remember I couldn't wait back in the day.

I'll be there for sure - does anyone know where we should park on Wednesday?

Do you guys think it will be okay if I can't come to the barbeque on Wednesday? I can't move into my apartment until Saturday, and don't really want to move down from San Francisco on Tuesday and have to wait around until Satuday with a U-haul of stuff. Will there be opportunities to meet people the weekend before school starts? Is there a plan to go out Saturday night? If not, lets make one!