Older Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSV MD 2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start medical shcool in the fall and am 30. while i knwo that is not old per se, i will be almost 10 years older than the traditional student. I am wondering what it is going to be like. I was never really much into parties in undergrad but the younger me went just to hang out. Now i have a family and I am not going to have much time to socialize at all on top of not being into ir. it will be family, school, and the occasional email to my friends. I hope that i get a chance to bond with my classmates but i'll probably end up being the "old woman" outsider. I'm kinda serious so people have always told me that I act old anyway so i am just wodnering how i am going to fit in. Is anyone else out there older? Hav eyou thought about how you will fit in with your younger classmates? does it concern you?

Members don't see this ad.

I just turned 28, so I hear ya..............I still don't think it will be at all bad. I've been told that I can be aloof at times, but I still manage to have amicable relationships with people who are not close friends . You'll be fine !

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that you're far from the oldest person in your class. I was 30 when I started and in my class of 60, there were at least 10 others in their 30's, one person in her 40's and one woman who had just turned 50. A few other students have kids and we all tend to hang out and socialize together with our families. The young 'uns in our class have their keg parties and such, but us old farts do our own thing: miniature golf, t-ball games, family picnics, etc. Relax! I'm sure you''ll find your niche.

Members don't see this ad :)
I waffle btwn being a wee bit freaked that I'm a decade older than my classmates - and realizing it's going to be totally fine. I'll be 33 next week and am starting this fall. I know that there'll be plenty of others older than I (esp in a class of 250) - but it's still a little daunting that the bulk of the class will be made-up of 'kids'. I get the added bonus of being one of the few out 'queer gals' on campus - nothin' like really standing out from the rest of the class!

I think the hardest thing about going to school now is reconciling the old, married student life-style with the image I have in my head of how real 'student-life' is supposed to be. The occasional post-test bash will still happen - I'll just need to check in with the Mrs. first. ;)

There's room for everyone and every personality type in school - it's just a matter of finding the group that fits best with you. Just chant after me: "live your life, find your niche, all will be well" :D

At 38 I am not the oldest in my class but I am in the top 10.
There are times when I really feel like the odd man out and I know I don't "fit in" with a lot of the students.
Sometimes there is an inner struggle of trying to fit in but for the most part I just go with the flow.
Even though I don't socialize outside of school very much there are quite a few people that I consider to be very good friends.

Good luck in your coming years, just be yourself, people will either like you or not but at least you will like yourself.

I was 38 when I started med school. In a class of 160, there were a number over 30. Turns out I was the oldest. It was a bit weird because I'm not married, and most of the older ones were. I'm not much of a partier, but I did go to some of the parties/functions. I just didn't stay very late.

During class and rotations, I felt fine and all the "kids" treated me great. The social stuff was a little more akward. In retrospect I wish I had gotten involved in some kind of activity outside of med school for an outlet where I could have met more older people.

While there were a few times during med school when I felt left out, really for the most part I felt too busy to worry about it.

Now that I'm an intern, I'm still the oldest (in the surgery department, anyway). So far, so good.

Don't sweat it. I think you'll find you're not as unusual as you think.

I'm 29, starting this fall. At the accepted student luncheon I felt pretty comfortable with many of the people I met. I already have several "traditional" students that are my friends, so I'm not too worried about meeting more. My school also supposedly has a fair number of non-trads. My only real concern is what will happen when I decide to have a child, probably in my 1st or 2nd year...

Hey! I'm a 37 y/o mom, and the oldest student in my class (and one of only 2 moms). I don't fit in, but I don't try to either. I just keep being myself, and I have good relationships with many of the "young 'uns" in my class. I've only been to one social event, but I would certainly feel welcome there.... I just prefer to spend free time with my family or with the friends I've had for years who I rarely see because of my study schedule. I think it's a lot easier if you just go with the flow and don't try too hard. Be who you are, and people will usually respect where you are in life. If you want to go to parties and stuff, then GO! HAVE FUN! If you want to play frisbee with your dog instead, then HAVE FUN! Medical school is hard. Don't make your time away from your studies hard too....

Peace~
Lindsey

Originally posted by Digginit
Hey! I'm a 37 y/o mom, and the oldest student in my class (and one of only 2 moms). I don't fit in, but I don't try to either. I just keep being myself, and I have good relationships with many of the "young 'uns" in my class. I've only been to one social event, but I would certainly feel welcome there.... I just prefer to spend free time with my family or with the friends I've had for years who I rarely see because of my study schedule. I think it's a lot easier if you just go with the flow and don't try too hard. Be who you are, and people will usually respect where you are in life. If you want to go to parties and stuff, then GO! HAVE FUN! If you want to play frisbee with your dog instead, then HAVE FUN! Medical school is hard. Don't make your time away from your studies hard too....

Peace~
Lindsey

Hi there,
Good advice!I was one of the older students in my class but not the oldest. You do not need to go to many of the social events. Sure the singles drinking themselves into a stupor is not going to interest you but try not to isolate yourself. When your clinical years come up, you will have more opportunity to interact with your younger colleagues. You are going to find at that time, that you have more in common with them than not in common. In the end, your age and maritial status won't matter. Congrats on taking on the challenge of medical school!

njbmd:cool:

I am 29 and I will be starting this fall also. I would not worry about it because 30 is not old!! I am looking forward to hanging out with the "younger" people in my class. Plus, I am hoping that there will be some cute females in my class, so I can have a pleasant distraction every now and then.:) Work hard and play hard is my motto!!! Good luck this fall!!!

I'm starting school in three weeks (eek!) and I'm 33, married, with two kids. I'm going to a pretty "young" school, so we'll see how it goes. I think it will be fine, but I'm most worried about just finding time to spend with my family. I've already been invited to several social events - they mentioned SO's in both invitations, but not kids.

Im 30 and starting in the fall I dont think that its old at all. Granted there will be there share of med students coming right out of college and 22-22 years old but who cares. I just enjoyed life a little more before med school. You will be fine.

ECU Med '07

I am 31 and starting this fall...
I was wondering how hard it is for some of you moms to be moms and med students at the same time. I am planning on getting married and having kids during med school, and people gawk at me thinking that having a family and being in med school is mutually exclusive!
Any thoughts?

NYC-girl, i just look at its as a job albeit a very busy one at times. You just have to manage your time wisely and make time for fmaily , friedns and kids. well prioritize that, you may not have time for your friends as much but an email here and there wouldn't hurt. my son currentl goes to bed at 7:30 so i plan to spend the time betweetnt he time i pick him up from daycare adn the time he goes ot be with him and then he usually has an activity on staurday morning like gymboree or gymnastics so that time will be set out for him. my husband has asked me to reserve eitehr fridya or saturday nights for him so i think that's fair.
i am not indepeendently wealthy so i cna't stay home but i figure that i might as well be doing something that i love. you shoudl check out a website call www.mommd.com.

MSV-
I know we've communicated but I guess I never told you that I'm 35.... so you're far from being the oldest person in our class!! Don't worry, many of our future classmates are very cool in spite of their extreme youthfulness ;) I know a few of them from my post-bacc classes and we've been out climbing and barhopping.

I'm 39, have a wife, three kids, and five dogs and I fit in pretty well.

But I don't go out drinking with my younger classmates either.

39 and start yr one in 6 weeks or so. I have 4 kids as well...and I am president of the Dr. Natalie Belle Fan Club.:clap:

I'm still in the application process for 2004, but I thought I'd share my opinion. I'm 30+, most people think mid/late 20s, and I can't wait to get to know all those young male students in whatever school I get into. I don't party anymore etc., but I still love to dance and I'm looking forward to younger men with stamina!:clap: :clap: :clap:

sperry said:
I waffle btwn being a wee bit freaked that I'm a decade older than my classmates - and realizing it's going to be totally fine. I'll be 33 next week and am starting this fall. I know that there'll be plenty of others older than I (esp in a class of 250) - but it's still a little daunting that the bulk of the class will be made-up of 'kids'. I get the added bonus of being one of the few out 'queer gals' on campus - nothin' like really standing out from the rest of the class!

I think the hardest thing about going to school now is reconciling the old, married student life-style with the image I have in my head of how real 'student-life' is supposed to be. The occasional post-test bash will still happen - I'll just need to check in with the Mrs. first. ;)

There's room for everyone and every personality type in school - it's just a matter of finding the group that fits best with you. Just chant after me: "live your life, find your niche, all will be well" :D

good luck

I'm 35 and headed toward my second year of med school. There are several students older than me, and ~40 in our class who are older than 25. Numerous students are married and have kids.

You don't have to do the "social" events to fit in. Most interest group meetings and student group activities are held during the day (usually at lunch time) and those are good opportunities to mingle with your fellow students (and get free lunch). Rather than studying alone during every break/lunch break, make an effort to eat lunch with your classmates, especially early in the year. I think it is worth it to put a little extra effort into making friends early in the year, because after the first couple of months, people have largely settled into their "groups", and it can be tough to fit in if you haven't already built relationships with people.

Evening social events at my school largely revolve around drinking, dancing, and bars. I seldom attend mostly because I live out of town and its not convenient, but also because I no longer find going out to the bars to be at the top of my list of things I like to do. I did go to the post gross toast, and occassionally, my husband and I go out for dinner or to a show with some of my classmates and their spouses.

You won't stick out if you choose not to "party". There will be lots of other students who don't do so either for religious or family reasons.

I am turning 30 this year and am an M2. There are a number of older students in my class with several in their 30s and two at 40. We have a diverse class with paramedics, nurses, engineers, MBAs, financial consultants, PhDs and a lawyer (that would be me). So don't worry about it-- there will be several students who are older than you and a number right around your age.

My closest friends in my medical class are ages 33, 26 and 4 who are 23. Age is a state of mind and some of the younger people in the class are more mature than some of the older ones. Not everyone who is 23 feels the need to party and drink.

Nonetheless, you are right in thinking that a lot of the socials revolve around drinking. You can go or not. If you do not like that type of social activity, start your own thing. Movie night, girls/guys night out etc.