Oldest accepted MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1041221

Hi everyone! I just wanted someone else to double-check my logic on this so that I don't start studying for an MCAT whose score will expire by the time I apply. I will be applying in the 2023 cycle for matriculation in fall 2024 after taking two gap years. However, I am aiming to study for and take the MCAT this coming spring. I made a rough school list and many of my target schools list "January 2017" or "January 2018" as the oldest accepted MCAT for the current 2020 cycle (according to MSAR). So, taking the MCAT this spring would present no problem if I wanted to apply to these schools in the 2023 cycle, right (because by that time the schools will accept an MCAT from Jan 2020 and Jan 2021, respectively)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the 2023-2024 cycle, a January 2021 and later MCAT will be 100% safe. Some schools don't accept MCATs older than 2 years.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
For the 2023-2024 cycle, a January 2021 and later MCAT will be 100% safe. Some schools don't accept MCATs older than 2 years.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Really? Which ones, because I've never heard this?

The tightest deadlines I've seen or heard of are 3 years from matriculation, which is 2 years from application the year before. Is that what you mean? Plus, you are contradicting yourself above, because if some schools won't take a MCAT older than 2 years, then January 2021 WON'T be "100% safe" for 2024 matriculation at your 2 year schools!! :cool:

OP is, however, correct in adding 3 years to any currently published deadline to calculate the deadline for the 2023-24 cycle (unless, of course, the schools change it, which they are free to do at any time! :cool:) .

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Which ones, because I've never heard this?

The tightest deadlines I've seen or heard of are 3 years from matriculation, which is 2 years from application the year before. Is that what you mean? Plus, you are contradicting yourself above, because if some schools won't take a MCAT older than 2 years, then January 2021 WON'T be "100% safe" for 2024 matriculation at your 2 year schools!! :cool:

OP is, however, correct in adding 3 years to any currently published deadline to calculate the deadline for the 2023-24 cycle (unless, of course, the schools change it, which they are free to do at any time! :cool:) .
2 years based on the year of the application cycle. For the 2020-2021 cycle, some schools won't take an MCAT earlier than January 2018. OP himself said that "schools list "January 2017" or "January 2018" as the oldest accepted MCAT for the current 2020 cycle" which is what I said. I don't remember which schools don't accept MCATs older than 2 years but I remember at least 2-3 of the schools I applied to were like that.

- Kevin

2 years based on the year of the application cycle. For the 2020-2021 cycle, some schools won't take an MCAT earlier than January 2018. OP himself said that "schools list "January 2017" or "January 2018" as the oldest accepted MCAT for the current 2020 cycle" which is what I said. I don't remember which schools don't accept MCATs older than 2 years but I remember at least 2-3 of the schools I applied to were like that.

- Kevin
Okay, but January 2018 is 2.5 years before the 2020-21 cycle opened, and 3.5 years before matriculation next summer. I've only ever heard it expressed as time from matriculation (since that's a constant while applications can be submitted anytime during a period spanning several months), and it sounds like your 2 years = my 3 years! :cool:

Hi! I applied this 2020-2021 cycle and I had a previous January 2017 MCAT score. I emailed all the schools I was interested in applying to and asked about if they would accept my score for matriculation in Fall 2021. About half of them said yes and half said no, so I retook the MCAT. If you're concerned about your score not being accepted, it's always worth a shot to email the admissions office just to be on the safe side, but if you take it Spring 2021 for matriculation in Fall 2023 you should be fine.

I know this is unsolicited advice and it may be premature, but applicants always run the risk of needing to reapply. If you take the MCAT too early and end up needing to reapply, it may be expired for the next cycle (which is what happened to me). Just some food for thought. Best of luck!