[OPINION] CHATGPT and dental education/admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know applicants that used ChatGPT for damn near their whole application. Seems unethical to me. I was really surprised no one caught on. They got interviews and acceptances this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know applicants that used ChatGPT for damn near their whole application. Seems unethical to me. I was really surprised no one caught on. They got interviews and acceptances this cycle.
Why would you be surprised? Until we get proper policies and enforcement, we will continue to wish people play fairly. It's their 600K to worry about.

Why would you be surprised? Until we get proper policies and enforcement, we will continue to wish people play fairly. It's their 600K to worry about.
what kind of enforcement can be used against AI writing? It's not really something that can be discerned without having access to one's account. Those AI checkers aren't very effective either.

What does that say about the application?
Maybe they are a great applicant. I don't like the idea of not writing your own take on work experiences, personal statement, etc. I've seen the same people do questionable things in other situations, but could just be the small sample size. Seems like by the time you get to this level cutting corners can only hurt in the long run.

People have always cheated their way through undergrad and got into dental school just fine. It doesn't surprise me at all that these same people would be unable to write a couple of short essays. These people will always find the path of least resistance no matter what. It's a shame they can get away with it, but they are the people I want to compete with.

Reactions: 1 users
At some point, the corner cutting will backfire. In dental school, shortcuts can do real harm. Congratulations making it to dental school where you still have to pay off that debt.

Integrity means a lot in dentistry.