Opinions on Chicago Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the reputations/pros vs. cons of the Chicago area schools?
My husband is REALLY wanting to move there, but I want to make sure I'm at a decent school with good instruction, happy students, near the city, etc. I'm afraid I hadn't even heard of Rush or Finch until this process began! UIC is pretty much not an option, too expensive for out of staters.
Help!

Members don't see this ad.

They are all fine. See which suits you best- there's a big difference between them all in terms of styles of learning, competition, grades, and so on. Talk to students and interview there and see how you feel. --Trek

U. Chicago seemed to have really happy students when I was there as did Loyola. Most of the schools in Chicago have a pretty good rep and are worth attending. Loyola seems like more of a "family" than Chicago, but Chicago has really high powered research. I dont think you can really go wrong with a Chicago area school (then again I applied to all of them).

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you want to be near the city, count Finch out. Its actually about an hour (that was how long it took me to get from Midway Airport) out in the boonies. You do go into the city for 3rd and 4th years, but that's still 2 years out in the middle of nowhere, and it sounds like you aren't really interested in that kind of situation.

This is just from my personal experiences in talking to people from the various schools so take it for what its worth.

Loyola students seem to be the happiest. The school makes a point of giving students time to have a life outside of med school. New facilities and a very student friendly atmosphere. Few complaints.

UofC students are also generally happy however it does seem like they spend many hours in lecture. Nonetheless they seem to take it all in stride b/c the administration seems to be very supportive of them. The teaching is excellent and profs seem to take a vested interest in their students. Located in Hyde Park which is generally decent but is surrounded by urban ghetto.

Northwestern students also seem generally happy about their school. Few complaints from them. Med school is located in a beautiful location off the lake (north side). Expensive however.

UIC, well the good news had to end at some point. About the worst thing I've heard about UIC is that its just a plain POS. About the best is that yeah, it's a POS but clinical years are excellent and everyone ends up matching well in the end. Highly competitive student body and a very unsupportive administration. UIC is only for self-starters it seems. Located on the west side.

Rush, similar to Loyola in some ways however it does not have religious affiliations. Supportive administration and student's seem generally content. Located on the West Side very close to UIC in the Chicago Medical District.

Finch, I've lived in the norhtern burbs of Chicago all my life and never heard of Finch until two years ago. Haven't met any students from there so I really can't say much about it.
Located in Waukegan, a suburb about a 40min drive from chicago with no traffic.

Again this is only what people have told me in my own investigations. Good Luck!