Opinions on these programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tn Family MD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have officially decided to go with General Surgery and drop my interviews in other fields. I have received what I feel like is enough interviews to make me feel comfortable with my potential for matching into General Surgery. So, among my interviews my favorite programs are listed below. Please give me some feedback on those programs listed. I truly appreciate any insight you guys can offer. For this discussion, feel free to opine on any aspect of the program from location to ancillary staff to other residency programs in the same hospital/town to general attitudes of staff/attendings to general reputation. Thanks everyone in advance for your input!

1. Carilion Clinic in Roanoke, Virginia
2. University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky
3. East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee
4. University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama
5. West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia
6. Baptist Health System in Birmingham, Alabama
7. Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina

Again, thanks for your input and I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at ETSU, 2nd year and I love it here.

It's a very solid program, the residents are treated with respect but still expected to know thier stuff.

Early operative experience, M & M is very useful and educational as well. The attendings treat us well and we strictly follow the 80 hour work week (even though many of us, residents and attendings included, don't agree with it, it's a rule and we follow it for the good of the program).

The residents get along well, not much scut work at all, even as an intern. Chiefs will still do H&P's etc.

The pros and cons are one and the same many times. The VA has good pathology and stupid red tape. Going to 4 hospitals (2 in JC and 2 within 20-30min) gives you good insight to other attendings ways of doing things and lots of cases, but it's a pain to drive that much (most time is spent in JC though).

Lots of things to do if you like the outdoors, lakes, mountains, whitewater rafting etc.

It's a pretty good gig here, come check us out.

I would like to hear about Carilion Clinic as well. I have an interview with them coming up, and it's a bit of a drive, so I want to justify my traveling 8 hours to the hospital for the interview. =)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Carilion: Really liked the hospital. Roanoke is a bit boring. Was surprised when I interviewed there that a majority of the interviewees were FMGs. Didn't expect it to be the only program in the country to go unmatched. Program director seems cool (very business oriented). Didn't fall too high on my list, however.

UK: Fantastic program! Would have loved to match there. Great laparoscopic simulators.

USA: Getting better each year with the new program director. He's a great guy.

Baptist: OK program. Got a "good ol boys" feel there

MUSC: OK program.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming! I already interviewed at Carilion and thought it was pretty darn nice. It's great for me as far as location. It started out mid tier and has moved up to top tier as far as I'm concerned. The PD is such an awesome guy, great residents, and I think Roanoke is nice enough.

ETSU, for now, I think is my number one. I interview there Decemebr 3, so we will see if they keep the title. Fantastic location, I have talked to several people that did med school there and think the surgery program is top notch, I personally love the fact there are no surgical sub-specialty residents, love the fact that you get to see three different hospitals while there. Best location in the country as far as I'm concerned. Just can't wait to see it first hand and hoefully they will like me as much as I think I am going to like them.

I went to UK for med school and do really like the program. However, being there for med school really allows you to see some of the bad stuff that you probably don't get on interview day. I do think they train excellent surgeons, I do like that it is close to home, but there were a few incidents while I was there in med school that have me a little wary, that's all. Would still be pretty darn happy to end up there even knowing all I know.

UVa med students rotated through Roanoke, at least as of several years ago. At the time, it wasn't particularly well regarded. The only thing I know about them now is that they have been running huge ads in the back of all the surgery throwaways for years trying to recruit trauma faculty. That specific position, more than any other, has stuck out in my mind as an example of what must be a really bad job if they're advertising it so aggressively and unsuccessfully. To what degree my supposition is 1) true and 2) impacts the residents, I don't know.

But try to find a UVa med student - they can give you the scoop.

Univ of South Alabama - a formerly frequent poster, Doc Oliver, went to med school there. Probably graduated almost 10 years ago, but he might have some contacts remaining. He still hangs out on the plastics forum some.

I've seen the ads for Carilion trauma surgeons as well.

It may have to do with the restructuring that the hospital is undergoing to become "Carilion Clinic" a la the Mayo. They've lost a LOT of faculty and angered the community because (a la the Mayo), they have dropped insurance plans and require patients to see their own physicians. Not good community press and certainly not always the best medical practice.

How would it affect you as a resident? Not much probably but you should do some Googling or read some articles in Medical Economics for further info.

Frankly, if you like the area, that's half the battle IMHO. When I interviewed there for a position, the Confederate flags I saw turned me off...the real estate agent kept trying to divert my attention away from them!:laugh:

Univ of South Alabama - a formerly frequent poster, Doc Oliver, went to med school there. Probably graduated almost 10 years ago, but he might have some contacts remaining. He still hangs out on the plastics forum some.

User name: roboliver (took me years to realize that it was Rob Oliver and not Robo Liver! :laugh: )

Does anyone have any opinion regarding Caritas St. Elizabeth in MA, York Hospital in PA and Geisinger Medical Center in PA? Just trying to figure out which interview I should go to... they're all asking for the same date. Thanks!

Does anyone have any opinion regarding Caritas St. Elizabeth in MA, York Hospital in PA and Geisinger Medical Center in PA? Just trying to figure out which interview I should go to... they're all asking for the same date. Thanks!

Don't know about Caritas. York Hospital has been on probation for the past two years. I've never been to Geisinger but my PD held them in pretty high regard.

btw, any thoughts on Uni of Mississippi program?

I don't know specifically about Geisinger for GS but overall it's a decent sized hospital in the middle of nowhere PA. I assume the cost of living is good and day to day living is laid back. I would have been happy to end up there. I think someone mentioned for GS that it gets a fair amount of trauma because it's catchment area is HUGE. The fly people in from all over. Very collegial, I think. If you could see yourself living in small town PA, then worth taking a look at.

You can see the linked thread for my thoughts on UMC.

I've seen the ads for Carilion trauma surgeons as well.

It may have to do with the restructuring that the hospital is undergoing to become "Carilion Clinic" a la the Mayo. They've lost a LOT of faculty and angered the community because (a la the Mayo), they have dropped insurance plans and require patients to see their own physicians. Not good community press and certainly not always the best medical practice.

How would it affect you as a resident? Not much probably but you should do some Googling or read some articles in Medical Economics for further info.

I am an intern at carilion and love it here. Roanoke is a small town but you get use to it, plus you are plenty busy at the hospital. I would have to guess that the move to the clinic model may make it harder to recruit right now but it definitely does not affect the residents. However, we have 2 new trauma surgeons that are awesome. There is another one on the way in the spring. It could also be that Carilion has a good bit of money and likes nice advertisements.

It is a growing program that is headed in the right direction. I can also not say for sure why 2 spots went unfilled last year. Not the most pleasant thing to discuss but all 4 interns are great and want to be here. I do not seeing any positions going unfilled this year but you never know.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the program that you have.