Ortho Chances - M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ortho Fam,

Just started M3 (allopathic US medical school, few honors M1/M2) and found my STEP 1 score to be a lowly 227... chances of matching into Ortho shattered?

Thoughts and input much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho Fam,

Just started M3 (allopathic US medical school, few honors M1/M2) and found my STEP 1 score to be a lowly 227... chances of matching into Ortho shattered?

Thoughts and input much appreciated.

2014 outcomes sounds like a nightmare the Ortho step 1 average went up to a 245.

Really, 245? Where is that published? I'm an M3 in the mid-230's, which is already a tenuous situation. 245 average would be pretty bad news...

Members don't see this ad :)
nvm, just realized that the new charting outcomes finally came out. Yeah, bad news for ortho hopefuls

Myself and the other M4s going into ortho at my school just put together a presentation on applying to ortho. What we noticed is that the new Charting Outcomes gives >250 Step 1 as a 90% match probability, but a 220 Step 1 still has a 50% match probability. You may close some doors for interviews, but if you are a well-rounded applicant that works hard and picks your away rotations well, an average Step 1 score shouldn't prevent you from matching.

Myself and the other M4s going into ortho at my school just put together a presentation on applying to ortho. What we noticed is that the new Charting Outcomes gives >250 Step 1 as a 90% match probability, but a 220 Step 1 still has a 50% match probability. You may close some doors for interviews, but if you are a well-rounded applicant that works hard and picks your away rotations well, an average Step 1 score shouldn't prevent you from matching.

Yeah I noticed this too. My step score is <25%ile, but still a >70% match chance, go figure. I'm not a math person, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. BTW M3 here, would be interested in seeing your powerpoint if you're willing to share. It can be tough to get all the facts about applying in ortho, so the more info the better.

The Step1 score primarily gets you through the screening process. At our program, our coordinator is given a certain criteria (step 1 score, IMG status, etc) and she takes the list of 800 applicants or so that applied and gets them down to about 100 or so. This means that your application won't even see an attending's or chief resident's desk if you don't meet the cut off (every program has a different cut off). Once you make it through the cut off, many programs then use other things like your letters, performance on the away rotation, how strong your interview was, etc to decide how to rank you. Most don't care about your 238 vs anothers 255. So apply where you think you want to go. If you get an interview, its your job to nail it.