Paging Goro (and anyone else with valuable insight)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisterchromatid

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a non-trad and want the reinvention route. I started an associates degree in 2018 and due to many things, failed and withdrew from many classes and ended with a 1.9 gpa and wayyyyy too many credits. I never finished the degree, took a short break from school and moved states, then re-enrolled as a “university transfer” major for an associates degree. I had 36 credits left that I had to complete to gain my associates. The credits transferred from my previous university and didn’t apply to my “new” GPA, and for those 36 credits I’ve held a 4.0. I am entering my junior year now with 116 credits under my belt already. According to MAPPD, it would take a hot minute of straight As to get above a 3.0.

My confusion lies in… I don’t see the point of a post bacc if I can prove, since switching to “pre-med”, that I’ve held a 4.0 (realistically it will probably drop to about 3.7-8). I have 60 credits left, I have done well in my premed prereqs, and I scored a 509 on the MCAT. I’m debating retaking. I’ve emailed schools asking if they hard screen for 3.0 and keep getting generic, indirect answers.

I have two kids and we just bought a home in 2021. I’m trying to minimize moving too far from family. Therefore, the schools I’m trying to get into are any in SC, any in NC (Brody SOM looks like my best bet).

I desperately want to avoid a gap year/a post bac/ anything that adds extra time to my journey as I already wasted so much. I’m getting old and as are my kids.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools and some MD schools do reward reinvention. Those schools will concentrate on your GPA of 3.7+ and your MCAT of 509. What year will you be applying ?

Reactions: 1 users
DO schools and some MD schools do reward reinvention. Those schools will concentrate on your GPA of 3.7+ and your MCAT of 509. What year will you be applying ?
I’m worried about being screened out since my gpa will be around 2.8 likely. I intend to apply next cycle. My ECs are good, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools may screen you at 2.8 but some will not. You should receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats. If you will be a SC residents you could try the instate MD schools. If you are a NC resident you could try ECU. Come back here a year from now and we can suggest schools.

Some schools may screen you at 2.8 but some will not. You should receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats. If you will be a SC residents you could try the instate MD schools. If you are a NC resident you could try ECU. Come back here a year from now and we can suggest schools.
Okay, thank you!

Hey guys, I’m a non-trad and want the reinvention route. I started an associates degree in 2018 and due to many things, failed and withdrew from many classes and ended with a 1.9 gpa and wayyyyy too many credits. I never finished the degree, took a short break from school and moved states, then re-enrolled as a “university transfer” major for an associates degree. I had 36 credits left that I had to complete to gain my associates. The credits transferred from my previous university and didn’t apply to my “new” GPA, and for those 36 credits I’ve held a 4.0. I am entering my junior year now with 116 credits under my belt already. According to MAPPD, it would take a hot minute of straight As to get above a 3.0.

My confusion lies in… I don’t see the point of a post bacc if I can prove, since switching to “pre-med”, that I’ve held a 4.0 (realistically it will probably drop to about 3.7-8). I have 60 credits left, I have done well in my premed prereqs, and I scored a 509 on the MCAT. I’m debating retaking. I’ve emailed schools asking if they hard screen for 3.0 and keep getting generic, indirect answers.

I have two kids and we just bought a home in 2021. I’m trying to minimize moving too far from family. Therefore, the schools I’m trying to get into are any in SC, any in NC (Brody SOM looks like my best bet).

I desperately want to avoid a gap year/a post bac/ anything that adds extra time to my journey as I already wasted so much. I’m getting old and as are my kids.

Any advice?

It depends on what those remaining credits are. If you have a 4.0 but then dip in all of the "gatekeeper" courses (ochem, biochem, physics), then the "reinvention" portion becomes much less compelling. Why do you think your GPA is going to drop?

Any advice?
I don't think that you need a postback period you've displayed reinvention. Ask your old school if you can retroactively withdraw from your failing courses