Peds Residency Application 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorverardoll

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like there have been a few of us checking out the thread here who are close to applying. Figured it might be good to have a thread.
I'm working on my personal statement and trying to refine my list of programs, because 31 might just be too many. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

1st Question- anyone come across programs that require a chairman's letter? I know UT-SW mentions having one (though not required).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming P means pass and H means honors. If that's the case, why is your lowest clerkship grade in peds? Just trying to assess your application from a rote numbers standpoint.

I'm assuming P means pass and H means honors. If that's the case, why is your lowest clerkship grade in peds? Just trying to assess your application from a rote numbers standpoint.
I high passed clinically and was eligible for HP based on my shelf grade (there are minimum grades). I dropped the ball on the shelf and was at the class average. I loved my rotation, but it was a bit disjointed. I only had 2 weeks inpatient and the senior resident was absent for most of that time. We also have a hospitalist service, so I never worked with attendings for more than a a few day. For my outpatient service, I was assigned to the resident clinic where they only let me shadow (the interns were fighting for patients), while other students went to offices in the community or the faculty practice clinic, where they worked with the same physician every day and easily obtained evals. In retrospect, I should have had my selective preceptor (in peds Endo) do an eval, but I did not know I was allowed.
I'm worried about the Pass in peds, but at the end of the day I can't see myself anywhere else.

,,,,Obviously, have some big reaches in there, but I'm slightly afraid I have too many and need more mid-tier.
This will be purely theoretical advice, since I don't know you and can't predict how strong your letters will be or how well you will interview. It seems like you have a pretty good range of programs on your preliminary list. A couple of them are fairly competitive, but there isn't anything wrong with including some "reach" programs on your list (but be careful what you wish for..). My advice would be to meet with your faculty advisor or equivalent to talk candidly about your application, programs in which you are interested, etc. The residency program director at your own institution should be a good resource for you as well. These people should have some institutional memory regarding how previous students from your school with similar scores, grades, etc. have fared. But I would not be reluctant to meet with these people- that is (or should be) an important part of their duties.

Your LORs will be important, more important than grades. Do you have a LOR from someone well known and regarded at your school in pediatrics who does have enough space to write all the wonderful things they want to say about you? Or do you a letter for Joe Smoe MD who letter simply states " I worked with X. They didn't repluse me. Signed Dr. Joe Smoe". Good LORs (and who you know, yep the real world is like that) can make or break your application and chances for an interview.

That being said, 31 program is fine to apply, but you will need to narrow that down substantially for interviews. Do worry, you will match to a pediatric program and the program you match to will be the best program for you.

31 is way too many with your stats, but you can always narrow it down later. Good luck!