Percent of applicants reviewed - signals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1168269

Should we base signaling on the percent of applicants interviewed? I am applying to neuro so we only get 3 signals. I was thinking that if a program is interviewing <10% of applicants then it would be worth signaling. But if a program is interviewing a considerable amount of applicants (>20%) then I shouldn't signal and instead should rely on my *insert sarcasm* charming *remove sarcasm* personality during the interview. Not sure how much signaling matters post-interview anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

There could be some discussion on this, but I'd say just use the signals where you feel you want to end up the most. That could very much change post interview. It is not unreasonable to think that a place that is interviewing over 20% of applicants is a popular program that is getting a lot of signals. I believe there are some programs where post-interview signaling matters, but I believe you're correct that it is probably less important in general.

However, I believe I remember in our post-interview ranking discussions the PD brining up once in awhile that a person had signaled us. I'm not sure if it plays too much into what we do with ranking that person (the faculty are all different and obviously put importance on different things), but it is at least sometimes mentioned in my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think signaling matters, at all, post-interview. It is likely more a way to get a program's attention so they will prioritize you for an interview slot. After that, it's on your interview and your application.

With that in mind, I generally would advise you to use your signals on the programs where you really do want to go the most. If you would really regret not interviewing at a particular program, then try to send a signal there. Especially when you're applying for a less competitive specialty like neuro, there likely is little value in trying to use signals to score an interview at "better" programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Should we base signaling on the percent of applicants interviewed? I am applying to neuro so we only get 3 signals. I was thinking that if a program is interviewing <10% of applicants then it would be worth signaling. But if a program is interviewing a considerable amount of applicants (>20%) then I shouldn't signal and instead should rely on my *insert sarcasm* charming *remove sarcasm* personality during the interview. Not sure how much signaling matters post-interview anyways.
Would pick the 3 programs where you would most want to end up (at least based on what you know about them pre-interview), AND you think you have roughly a 40-90% chance of getting an interview. So would not bother sending one to a program that is a significant reach for your credentials, or to your home program (assuming you have a home Neuro residency and your app is competitive for your home program so you'll likely get at minimum a courtesy interview regardless of whether you send a signal or not).

Reactions: 1 users
With 75% of PDs reporting that signals helped them notice an applicant that they would’ve otherwise overlook and that it helped 86% to break a tie between applicants, I’d agree with the other responses on using signals where you truly want to end up. Trying to make that decision based on program interview rates, etc. may give you a false sense of probability (the data will look how you want it to look!)

Reactions: 1 user
am applying to neuro so we only get 3 signals. I was thinking that if a program is interviewing <10% of applicants then it would be worth signaling. But if a program is interviewing a considerable amount of applicants (>20%) then I shouldn't signal

Per program director survey, average neuro program interviews 13% of their applicants. Top programs are going to interview a fraction of that. You probably don't want to go to a place interviewing 20%+ of their applicants (though those exist).

You should pick programs in which you are the most interested. Signaling a big-name academic program is likely not going to move the needle much.