performance in step 2ck vs step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Happy holidays to everyone. I have heard from some people in my school that people generally perform better in step 2ck vs step 1. Is that a fair generality or is that incorrect? Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

rs2006 said:
Hi all,

Happy holidays to everyone. I have heard from some people in my school that people generally perform better in step 2ck vs step 1. Is that a fair generality or is that incorrect? Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

It is a fair "generality". But like all "generalities" there are always exceptions to the rule.

im actually more interested in the opposite....is the reverse ever true??

GiJoe said:
im actually more interested in the opposite....is the reverse ever true??

yes. Not for me, but there are people on this message board that have had that experience and posted it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people get a lower score on step2ck than step 1. The reason for that is almost always that they studied less. For some residencies all you need to do is pass step 2 so people will study a lot less for it. In other situations, people dont take step2ck until after match is completed. If someone is already matched, then all you need to do is pass step 2ck.

In other cases, people really go all out for the step 2ck and those people tend to well. Some people dont study like crazy for the step2ck but still do great on step 2ck because those people really learned their stuff well during 3rd so a lot of it is still in their memory. It is probably easier to do well on step 2ck than step 1.

However, it is certainly possible to get a lower step 2ck score than whatever your step 1 score was. How much that would effect a residency application considering that the step 2ck is lower but still respectable, is up for debate. It is probably true it will not have much of a negative impact on residency unless the drop from step 1 to step 2ck is >25-30 points. Even then, if someone's step 1 score 265, then would you consider a 25 drop to a step 2ck score of 240 a bad score? Obviously not. Both scores are great.

Most people agree that step 1 score is more important than step 2ck score unless the step 1 score is low. In that case, a high step 2ck score might become a little more important.

These are all generalizations but I would say that the bottom line is that if a person did well on the step 1, it is very unlikely that such a person would fail the step 2ck.

A good friend of mine went from a step 1 of 231 down to a step 2 CK of 218. He is a gunner and always puts forth his best effort when he studies for tests. So, I don't think a lack of preparation had anything to do with it. That being said, he might have had a bad day. Me personally, I went up 11 points from my step I score. In general, the averages are roughly the same so the chances of you deviating significantly from you step I score are slim, unless you completely wing it.

I don't think it is that difficult to improve significantly from your step 1 score. I went up about 20 points from an already great step 1 and I certainly didn't study as hard for step 2. Also, I have a classmate who scored around 210 on step 1 and has been getting around 245-250 on the NBME step 2 assessments (although he hasn't taken the real thing yet). If you want to improve, just study hard during third year and/or dedicate a month or so to step 2 studying. The curve is not going to be as unforgiving as it was on step 1 because there just aren't as many people gunning for step 2.