Please help!!--Answer questions about your program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coxiella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Below are the lists of specific OBJECTIVE questions I have about programs to help the incoming interns and medical students—some of them require just yes/no answers. I am interested in Georgetown residency program but others can request information about other programs. I realize there are scattered snippets of answers throughout this forum, but a comprehensive thread is warranted. The thread about Surgery Workweek was not very helpful as it was subjective and resident did not want to reveal their institutions understandably. If you still don’t want this public, you can send a private message to me. Others can feel free to add to the questions below

1.Do u Preround ?
2.What time do u preround ?
3.How long does it take on average and what is the average patient load for an intern?
4.When is morning rounds and how long does it take?
5.when do u write your note and are they paper or computerized and are the orders paper or computerized?
6.What takes up most of your time on the floor?
7.What time is afternoon rounds/signouts?
8.Do u have a night float?
9.What time do u leave postcall?
10.What are your clinic times?
11.What conferences and didactic sessions do u have throughout the week and what do they entail?
12.How much OR time do the interns get and what types of cases do they see?
13.What are common surgical cases at your institution?
14.What kind of computerization do u use-Is there a PAC system?
15.Do u have a book stipend, what other benefits do u get?
16.What do u do for lunch, dinner etc, is there a cafeteria?
17.What are recommended books/pocket books/must haves etc?
18.Where do most residents live?
19.Is a car necessary/advisable?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you think about going on an interview?

I can answer some of these questions for SUNY Downstate. I am an MS4, but I will answer what I can.

1.Do u Preround ? No
2.What time do u preround ?
3.How long does it take on average and what is the average patient load for an intern? Avg. pt load = about 6 pts each.
4.When is morning rounds and how long does it take? 6 am, approx. 1 hr
5.when do u write your note and are they paper or computerized and are the orders paper or computerized? write notes after rounding, they are on paper except for the VA
6.What takes up most of your time on the floor? scut-making sure orders were carried out
7.What time is afternoon rounds/signouts? 4 if there is a nightfloat, 5-6 if not
8.Do u have a night float? at Kings County
9.What time do u leave postcall? after signout, can be as early as 7am
10.What are your clinic times? totally varies based on hospital, usually 1-2 times per week
11.What conferences and didactic sessions do u have throughout the week and what do they entail? a didactic session presented by a resident that covers a topic for the ABSITE, grand rounds, m&m, breast conference or tumor board all once per week
12.How much OR time do the interns get and what types of cases do they see? can't comment
13.What are common surgical cases at your institution? VA-- vascular, Kings County-- trauma, hernias, gallbladders, colon CA Haven't rotated at the other hospitals, so can't comment.
14.What kind of computerization do u use-Is there a PAC system? We do have PACS, as well as computerized ordering at county and Downstate.
15.Do u have a book stipend, what other benefits do u get? Not sure.
16.What do u do for lunch, dinner etc, is there a cafeteria? There is a cafeteria at Downstate. LICH has an Au Bon Pain and Taco Bell. The VA has a cafeteria with Burger King and pizza and a deli, but it is only open for lunch.
17.What are recommended books/pocket books/must haves etc?
18.Where do most residents live? Park Slope in Brooklyn, but many areas of Brooklyn are acceptable if you have a car
19.Is a car necessary/advisable? Highly advisable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Below are the lists of specific OBJECTIVE questions I have about programs to help the incoming interns and medical students—some of them require just yes/no answers. I am interested in Georgetown residency program but others can request information about other programs. I realize there are scattered snippets of answers throughout this forum, but a comprehensive thread is warranted. The thread about Surgery Workweek was not very helpful as it was subjective and resident did not want to reveal their institutions understandably. If you still don’t want this public, you can send a private message to me. Others can feel free to add to the questions below

1.Do u Preround ? YES
2.What time do u preround ? DEPENDS ON ROTATION
3.How long does it take on average and what is the average patient load for an intern? DEPENDS ON THE INTERN AND PATIENT CENSUS, ACUITY
4.When is morning rounds and how long does it take? DEPENDS ON SERVICE, CHIEF, PATIENT CENSUS AND ACUITY. USUALLY CHIEF ROUNDS WILL BE BETWEEN 600 and 630 am.
5.when do u write your note and are they paper or computerized and are the orders paper or computerized? WRITTEN GENERALLY ON PRE-ROUNDS or WITH FEWER PATIENTS AND MORE RESIDENTS CAN BE WRITTEN ON CHIEF ROUNDS DEPENDENT ON CHIEF RESIDENT. PAPER. COMPUTERIZED ORDERS IS COMING THIS SUMMER.
6.What takes up most of your time on the floor? DUNNO; PROBABLY DISCHARGES, ROUNDS.
7.What time is afternoon rounds/signouts? USUALLY BETWEEN 5 AND 6, SOMETIMES LATER.
8.Do u have a night float? NO
9.What time do u leave postcall? DEPENDS. USUALLY SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 0700 AND NOON.
10.What are your clinic times? WE HAVE SO MANY, TOO NUMEROUS TO DETAIL.
11.What conferences and didactic sessions do u have throughout the week and what do they entail? THURS AM M&M, FRIDAY PM DIDACTIC. VARIOUS GRAND ROUNDS, ETC.
12.How much OR time do the interns get and what types of cases do they see? VARIES ON CASE LOAD, FLOOR WORK AND CHIEF. GENERALLY HERNIAS, CHOLES, ETC BREAD AND BUTTER STUFF BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS WELCOME TO SCRUB IN ON ANY CASE.
13.What are common surgical cases at your institution? THE USUAL FOR A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL - EVERYTHING FROM BREAD AND BUTTER TO WHIPPLES, CABGS, AAA REPAIRS - OPEN AND ENDOVASCULAR, TRAUMA, LAPAROSCOPIC STUFF - LOTS OF GASTRIC BYPASSES.
14.What kind of computerization do u use-Is there a PAC system? NOT SURE WHAT PAC IS.
15.Do u have a book stipend, what other benefits do u get? YES, CONFERENCE TIME FOR CHIEFS AND MEAL ALLOWANCE.
16.What do u do for lunch, dinner etc, is there a cafeteria? CAFETERIA, CAFE \, VARIOUS CONFERENCES, OR ORDER IN.
17.What are recommended books/pocket books/must haves etc? GREENFIELD.
18.Where do most residents live?VARIOUS LOCAL APARTMENTS OR MANY BUY HOUSES.
19.Is a car necessary/advisable?[/QUOTE] YES - MUST ROTATE AT THE VA WHICH IS 20 OR SO MILES AWAY; HARRISBURG HOSPITAL AND HOLY SPIRIT EACH ABOUT 30-45 MINUTES AWAY DEPENDING ON TRAFFIC. NO GOOD PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

Thanks. I am taking this year off but looking forward to staying in the DC area next year. But where is Harrisburge and Holy trinity-- are u talking about Georgetown?

I believe she's talking about areas around Hershey, PA.