Pritzker UChicago v.s. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opinions?

• Hopkins

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Pritzker UChicago

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • See Results

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

yaboi8v2

Reaction score
Hello, am currently considering on doing something surgical related in the future (ex. surgical oncology), but am having a tough time deciding between the two schools! Planning on matching back to somewhere in CA (home state).

Hopkins
Pros
  • My partner would be right here (partner can't move anywhere else for now too)
  • Name in medicine is indisputable, as evidenced by match list
  • P/F all years (...for now)
  • I feel the clinical training is unmatched
Cons
  • No aid offered, even after submitting for reconsideration :( (~400k total COA)
  • Been around Baltimore for a while, would maybe prefer change of scenery?
Pritzker UChicago
Pros
  • Loved exploring Chicago during SLW
  • Focus on social equity was very motivating
  • Half-tuition scholarship (~260k total COA)
Cons
  • Graded clinicals
  • Far from support system
  • Not as strong in surgery-related programs (or so I've heard?)
I do think down the road, Hopkins is the better fit for me, but the only thing holding me back is that price tag. Any opinions on if the $$$ is ultimately worth it would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hopkins and move for residency with your partner to wherever you want because you went to Hopkins.

Edit: I went to SLW at UChicago as well and I'm putting less weight on the social justice focus that UChicago appears to have due to information I learned from students.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ByThe+C can you please elaborate on the information you learned from students?
No, but my understanding based on convos with students is that the social focus aspect of Pritzker comes from the work of the community Pritzker tries to attract not necessarily the priorities of the institution.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No, but my understanding based on convos with students is that the social focus aspect of Pritzker comes from the work of the community Pritzker tries to attract not necessarily the priorities of the institution.
Hi, I know you said you couldn't elaborate but I'm hoping is there anything else you might be able to add about this comment? I'm really torn between Pritzker and another school right now, mainly because I'm very drawn to the health equity focus at Pritzker, and I'd really appreciate any insight if it's not as significant a factor as maybe it's advertised to be!

Hi, I know you said you couldn't elaborate but I'm hoping is there anything else you might be able to add about this comment? I'm really torn between Pritzker and another school right now, mainly because I'm very drawn to the health equity focus at Pritzker, and I'd really appreciate any insight if it's not as significant a factor as maybe it's advertised to be!

If you want a health equity focused community and curriculum, Pritzker all the way which is why I'm leaning towards PTE at that school. If you want your career to have a health equity activism focus, look at which of the two schools would make it easier for you as an individual to engage in health policy work (involvement with government not just identifying where the problems are).