Question About Alabama Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheechnchong

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an in-stater (chem major at UAH--univ of alabama huntsville), but i've often been intimidated on how difficult it is to get into either medical school - south alabama and UAB!! i wonder what kind of experience everyone has with alabama med schools....??

Members don't see this ad.

So far, South Al. has been extremely helpful to me.. but i dont know how much that's just publicity and trying to get me there. my apps aren't sent yet (i've applying for 2008 not 2007). I'd like to end up at either, and am considered in state for South (i'm from MS gulf coast) so hoping this helps my chances.

Good luck...:)

Im an in-stater (chem major at UAH--univ of alabama huntsville), but i've often been intimidated on how difficult it is to get into either medical school - south alabama and UAB!! i wonder what kind of experience everyone has with alabama med schools....??
I applied to UAB last year as an OOSer with strong ties to AL, and was accepted. Since about 90% of UAB's students (and basically 100% of USA's students) are in-state, your odds are probably better than you think they are, and certainly better than mine were. My advice to you is to make your app as strong as you can (grades, MCAT, ECs, LORs, essays, etc), and go for it. Look at it this way: if you don't even try, your chance of acceptance is 0%, right? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of applying to both UAB and USA. USA Admissions people are quite helpful and friendly. I have heard the same about the UAB admissions. As an Alabama resident, which I am, you need to remember that yes, 95% of all matriculating medical students to UAB and/or USA come from Alabama. That means, your chances of getting into a medical school are greater for UAB/USA than any other OOS. If you have a 24 on the MCAT, they automatically send you a secondary. USA was on the ball and sent out a secondary to me in the end of July. UAB has yet to send the secondary TO ANYONE. Hey, no worries! UAB is a great school and is economical.

Roughly 400 AL residents applied. Roughly 320 were intervied. Out of those 320, roughly 175 matriculated. Come on 175 out of 400? DO you want to see stats from CA schools? or Texas? or New York. You can't beat that. Your chances are roughly a coin toss!!!

Keep the faith!

Sweet Home Alabama, where the skies are so blue!

I'm in the process of applying to both UAB and USA. USA Admissions people are quite helpful and friendly. I have heard the same about the UAB admissions. As an Alabama resident, which I am, you need to remember that yes, 95% of all matriculating medical students to UAB and/or USA come from Alabama. That means, your chances of getting into a medical school are greater for UAB/USA than any other OOS. If you have a 24 on the MCAT, they automatically send you a secondary. USA was on the ball and sent out a secondary to me in the end of July. UAB has yet to send the secondary TO ANYONE. Hey, no worries! UAB is a great school and is economical.

Roughly 400 AL residents applied. Roughly 320 were intervied. Out of those 320, roughly 175 matriculated. Come on 175 out of 400? DO you want to see stats from CA schools? or Texas? or New York. You can't beat that. Your chances are roughly a coin toss!!!

Keep the faith!

Sweet Home Alabama, where the skies are so blue!

DAMN!!! those stats look really promising...i have a lot of faith to protect on this land haha. Thanks to everyone who posted!

and Q thanks for the up!

So far, South Al. has been extremely helpful to me.. but i dont know how much that's just publicity and trying to get me there. my apps aren't sent yet (i've applying for 2008 not 2007). I'd like to end up at either, and am considered in state for South (i'm from MS gulf coast) so hoping this helps my chances.

Good luck...:)

Hey, how did you find out that USA considers you in-state? I'm from the Florida gulf coast, so does that mean they will consider me in-state? I had no idea that med schools did that. I didn't claim residency or anything on my secondary, but I guess they know where I am from because it's on my AMCAS. Any knowledge of this subject you would like to share? Thanks!!

Hey, how did you find out that USA considers you in-state? I'm from the Florida gulf coast, so does that mean they will consider me in-state? I had no idea that med schools did that. I didn't claim residency or anything on my secondary, but I guess they know where I am from because it's on my AMCAS. Any knowledge of this subject you would like to share? Thanks!!

It's a real good possibility.. I checked their official admissions requirements and it's there... somewhere in the fine print.. that MS Gulf Coast residents and some of the FL counties (not sure exactly which) pay in state tuition...
Goodluck!!:luck:

My understanding is that you are not considered in state for admission purposes (if from Escambia or Santa Rosa counties), but are considered in state for tuition purposes. Hope this helps. Good luck to all. :thumbup:

Hey, thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.